Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #15

I doubt I'm adding anything most all of you don't already know, but...

On just about any diesel pusher motorhome, the addition of a tag axle eats up right at four linear feet of basement storage. The wheel & tire assembly is approximately three feet in diameter. Add in six inches or so of clearance on each end of the wheel & tire and there's your four feet.

So let's say you have a 40 foot coach with no tag axle. For a similarly configured tag axle coach to have an equal amount of basement storage it would have to be 44 feet long. If instead it's 43 feet long, you'll lose one linear foot of basement storage. 42 feet long and you'll lose two linear feet of basement storage. 41 feet long and you'll lose three linear feet. 40 feet long, four linear feet.

Amy & I had a 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus, 40 feet in length. When we went from that coach to our 45 foot 2018 Entegra Cornerstone, we gained very little if any basement storage space.

We've looked at several 40 foot Dutch Stars. I have no doubt they drive great, but you definitely need to pack light with regard to basement storage.

One way or another, Tiffin is still managing to build 40 foot Phaeton and Allegro Bus motorhomes without tag axles. The Phaeton product line includes six floor plans 40 feet or less, while the Allegro Bus line has four such floor plans.

If we were in the market for a 40 foot Class A diesel coach, I'd be looking at American Coach, Entegra, Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 07:38 AM   #16

In 2015 before choosing Entegra we considered another Tiffin or Newmar and American . The rear bath floor plan American had such a low door height I hit my head several times while doing a walk thru , basement storage IMHO was lacking with Inverter mounted on the floor and lower compartments as I recall , hopefully American has redesigned some of those areas. The basement storage in Entegra , Winnebago and Tiffin appears to be the best in the Industry.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post

One way or another, Tiffin is still managing to build 40 foot Phaeton and Allegro Bus motorhomes without tag axles. The Phaeton product line includes six floor plans 40 feet or less, while the Allegro Bus line has four such floor plans.

If we were in the market for a 40 foot Class A diesel coach, I'd be looking at American Coach, Entegra, Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago.

Reminder that Entegra's 40 ft plans are non tag axle also. Both the Aspire and Reatta XL are on the Spartan K2. I have no tag axle experience to compare but the non tag K2 drives very well even in 70mph gusty crosswinds in the mohave desert.
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
In 2015 before choosing Entegra we considered another Tiffin or Newmar and American . The rear bath floor plan American had such a low door height I hit my head several times while doing a walk thru , basement storage IMHO was lacking with Inverter mounted on the floor and lower compartments as I recall , hopefully American has redesigned some of those areas. The basement storage in Entegra , Winnebago and Tiffin appears to be the best in the Industry.
They have. I reviewed an Eagle in that era and it as not a coach I would want. Things have changed with a new management change about 2-3 years back that stresses quality instead of quantity. I looked at both the 39RK Dream and the 45K Eagle. If I had to buy a new 45' coach right now I think it would be the 45K Eagle. There is lots of basement space now. They took a page from Travel Supreme (which is still used in the Entegra) and mounted the inverter up high between the frame rails. Their 8 Lion batteries are in an enclosed bay and the battery trays are thermostatically controlled and heated for cold weather use. The interior took a page from Tiffin and have lots of storage space. In fact, I feel they exceeded Tiffin for interior storage and have quite a few deep drawers. The American Coach of today is not at all like what it was a few years back.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Adding to Cruzer's remarks, when AC went to NIRVC and asked to be represented, Brett sent Todd Springs (GM in Georgia) to their plant to see if the "new" AC was up to snuff. Todd came up with a lengthy list of reasons why NIRVC should NOT handle AC. To AC's credit, they took the list to heart, and now...they are represented at NIRVC. I would jump on a 45 foot 39 RK, but like others I would prefer to have the big TV on a lift with the additional window even at the expense of a narrower living space. Our Entegra X has a TV lift with window and theater seating opposite a fold out couch.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
They have. I reviewed an Eagle in that era and it as not a coach I would want. Things have changed with a new management change about 2-3 years back that stresses quality instead of quantity. I looked at both the 39RK Dream and the 45K Eagle. If I had to buy a new 45' coach right now I think it would be the 45K Eagle. There is lots of basement space now. They took a page from Travel Supreme (which is still used in the Entegra) and mounted the inverter up high between the frame rails. Their 8 Lion batteries are in an enclosed bay and the battery trays are thermostatically controlled and heated for cold weather use. The interior took a page from Tiffin and have lots of storage space. In fact, I feel they exceeded Tiffin for interior storage and have quite a few deep drawers. The American Coach of today is not at all like what it was a few years back.
Mark , Thanks for the update that is good to know !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #21

One reason to choose a coach with a tag axel is wanting the rear axel weight capacity to tow a trailer that puts weight onto the rear area/hitch, or the desire to carry a motorcycle on a lift cantilevered off the back of the coach. Although the tag allows the capacity to do these things, it does, as has already been mentioned, take up a whole 4 foot storage bay spot.

If you don’t need the capacity to carry a hydra lift with a motorcycle on it, or tow a trailer with a car or motorcycles in it, AND you won’t be overloading the basement storage area, you can get away with buying a single rear axel coach. Just do your due diligence to ensure that there is sufficient axel weight capacity on the model you choose, as many coaches are not designed with much if any “extra” axel weight capacity after the fuel and water tanks are full. Particularly if the coach has tile floors, quartz countertops, a residential fridge, washer and dryer, and lots of nice woodwork.

Best wishes for success in your choice.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #22

Funny how we are possibly looking to go from a 2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP to maybe an Entegra Cornerstone 45'. I must say the Tiffin on the power glide chassis rides extremely well and the storage in our 40AP inside and out is great. It is obviously personal preference for tag or no tag, but the 40AP non-tag is rated at towing 15k and drives really well with or without our 24' enclosed trailer. We like the Entegra Cornerstone for styling and need the 605hp for towing a further stacker trailer. I would personally prefer a non-tag in a 40' coach.
jortega3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouch View Post
Quick question, looking to downsize from 45 foot 2019 Cornerstone to a 40 foot coach. Like the Dutch Star as it still has tag axle. Talked with my service tech who has taken care of me for 15 years and he likes both Newmar and Entegra. I have read online that there is not a lot of difference from the Mountain Aire to Dutch Star to justify the cost different. Any suggestions.

Thanks
If you really want to downsize go with the Newmar NewAire without tag axel.
Toutsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #24

I see suggestions of not getting a tag axel, but the difference in ride on the highway and in winds is worth loosing the storage to me. We had a 45' Mountain Aire and now have a 40 Mountain Aire with tag axel. The 45 ft's longer wheel base also made it ride better. We also have a 36' Country Coach Magna and it's wheel base is the same as the 40' MA, but the Magna does get tossed around more in the wind due to the lack of a tag axel.
CCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #25

I also like the .American coaches better and they will make a bigger one soon
ESS N MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouch View Post
Quick question, looking to downsize from 45 foot 2019 Cornerstone to a 40 foot coach. Like the Dutch Star as it still has tag axle. Talked with my service tech who has taken care of me for 15 years and he likes both Newmar and Entegra. I have read online that there is not a lot of difference from the Mountain Aire to Dutch Star to justify the cost different. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Curious, what will a 40 foot do that a 45 can’t? I understand California imposes a driver license requirement for coaches over 40 feet, but otherwise, I have never been in a campground that would fit a 40 but not fit a 43 or 45.

Is it a space requirement for parking it inside a barn or covered structure? That I can also understand.

I want to understand, as I have never regretted getting my 43 footer over getting a 40 footer.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
No one has yet mentioned the Comfort Drive steering on the Newmars. I have it on my MountainAire and the difference for steering in heavy side winds and rutted roads is incredible.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman View Post
No one has yet mentioned the Comfort Drive steering on the Newmars. I have it on my MountainAire and the difference for steering in heavy side winds and rutted roads is incredible.
Comfort Drive is Newmar's name for TRW's Column Drive, which is used in the American Coach, Entegra, Newell, etc under their own brand names. That 39RK American Dream was equipped with it as well. It does have some advantages.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote