Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Glad y'all are home ... I don't think I would (or could) do a 16 hour day .. especially through what y'all went through.

I hope nothing happened to your jeep ... thanks for the report and welcome home!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim & Natalie, I don't have a Jeep that I tow, but I have run into the smell you are talking about and I believe it is just dust and rubber debris from the road and tires getting into the radiator of your toad. It will "burn off" so to speak with normal driving. On ours I removed the rubber mud flap because I could see the whirlwind or vacuum of dust that it would kick up behind the motorhome. Mine has flaps behind the tires anyway so figured I would try it without and that really seemed to help. I think it just depends on the road surface and conditions as to how bad the dust and rubber shavings get picked up in the radiator of the toad. JMO Randy
Old 04-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Welcome home and your first trip under your belt. Construction is not fun in a new coach, glad you made it though without a scratch.

The smell for some reason with Jeeps is normal. My Jeep Liberty had it, but my Tacoma does not. I believe it is the road oil collecting on the catalytic converter until it burns off.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

The smell for some reason with Jeeps is normal. My Jeep Liberty had it, but my Tacoma does not. I believe it is the road oil collecting on the catalytic converter until it burns off.
We towed a Wrangler before switching to the Grand Cherokee. Never noticed a smell with the Wrangler. First time we towed the Grand Cherokee, I thought I had burned something up. Smelled like burnt oil inside. After just a few minutes of driving, the smell disappeared. I assumed it was exhaust/oil residue from the MH. I have now resorted to switching the A/C in the Grand Cherokee to the recirculation mode as part of the toad hookup checklist. Although it has not completely solved the burnt oil smell, it has greatly reduced it to the point it is only slightly noted now. Might just be me, but I think it helped
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #33

thank you all for the fast response reference the burnt smell coming from the Jeep. I have to add that when we pulled up to the house I had not started the Jeep up but the Jeep smelled. also per the manual I left the key in the ACC position with the negative battery post disconnected.

I will run the jeep for awhile and see if it burns off.
I am also going to call Jeep and confirm the manual information. Mine tells me to leave the key in the ACC potion with the negative battery disconnected.

Just for info I called SMI, I had their tech call Beaver Coach and speak to the tech who put in AFO. SMI called me back and told me it sounds like Beaver installed the system correctely so I am hopefull it is road rubber.
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, the first time I towed the Jeep Liberty and started it...it smelled like a burning fan belt. I opened the hood and that's when I could see the catalytic converter was right up front and that was where my burnt rubber smells was coming from.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #35
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
I pulled a 2011 Rubicon and now pull a 2014 Grand Cherokee. Didn't have to disconnect any lines or fuses and didn't ever leave the key in on either. I've owned more Jeeps than just those two and the manuals can be very outdated on stuff like this. I'd be very surprised if a Rubi newer than 2011 required a key or a fuse pull - talk to dealers and other 2014 Rubi owners, they'll be better sources than the manual.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:31 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have been towing our 2014 Wrangler for 10 months. Had the same smell the first few times but I believe the smell is no longer there. Also I do not leave key on or even in the ignition. Transfer case in neutral and transmission in park.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #37

We use to tow a Nissan Maxima and would have the same smell that you mention. I use to really notice it after pulling the car into the garage. Smell went away after driving the vehicle for awile....

Good luck with the new rig....

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #38

I have towed two Ford Explorers and experience the same odor.. After driving the vehicles for a short distance, the odor goes away.. Enjoy your new Anthem!! Safe travels
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #39

Welcome back home Jim and Natalie! I'm glad to hear that you made it back with no major issues. The play in the steering would be a bit disconcerting for me also and I'd get it checked out. It's good to know about the issue you had with the smell(s) from the Jeep. As you know we'll be pulling our Jeep also, so at least I know not to totally freak out the first time I smell it. Again, welcome back home and enjoy your new coach!

As a side-note, I've been in contact with Travis and he's keeping me apprised of what coach's they have, and are getting, in stock. As you know, we hope to be in your shoes in the not-so-distant future!

Ron and Marybeth
RonandBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Jim and Natalie Glad you made it home ... your journey sounded full of fun. Cattle chutes are never fun!!! The coach looks awesome. I had the same play in my steering I think it is the norm. I have got used to it and after a 1000+ miles I really didn't notice it any more. I am told true Center would help with the play so might invest in that later. Anyways welcome home!

Steve and Susan, with furries Molly,Tucker,Sherlock and Abby
Mychesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
I thought I might have "play" in my steering as well .... but was told to just relax and drive looking far ahead - that would stop from over correcting the steering wheel all the time. When I find myself thinking there is too much play, I took way ahead and amazing the play goes away. Not saying that is your issue .... but thought it might help.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
We had the same handling issue when we first picked up our Aspire. After a trip back to Spartan's factory and another to an authorized service center it handled the same. The third alignment was done by Bill Radjewski at Perry Legend in Columbia Missouri and it now handles great. As others have said Bill won't quit till it's right and I can attest to that. Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote