Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
After I got shut down twice in one year I purchased a system that will clear the codes plus do forced regen

[ATTACH]

[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]

I have used it and it works great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	297819  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #30

Has this issue been tied to a specific chassis year(s)?
Are there production start and stop dates for the issue?
Long shot here, but if I call Spartan will they be able to tell me if my chassis is affected by this DEF part(s) issue?

This problem is by far worst than the radiator issue.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Has this issue been tied to a specific chassis year(s)?
Are there production start and stop dates for the issue?
Long shot here, but if I call Spartan will they be able to tell me if my chassis is affected by this DEF part(s) issue?

This problem is by far worst than the radiator issue.
All failures I'm aware of have been 2016 - 2018 but don't be surprised if there are some outside that range. Initially it seemed the issue was confined to Freightliner but I have seen reports of failure on Spartan chassis as well.

I've not seen any reports of failure rates but I'm certain it's not 100%. I highly doubt Spartan could give you any probability predictions.

While highly inconvenient a rolling failure shouldn't shut you down, at worst it may derate giving you an opportunity to find a safe place to pull off. Any issues now seem to be exacerbated by a backorder of the needed parts. When a friend experienced a problem last fall the shop had no problem getting the parts.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
At least three of us with 19’s have had the failure - an Aspire, Anthem and Cornerstone. It’s equal opportunity failure.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
All failures I'm aware of have been 2016 - 2018 but don't be surprised if there are some outside that range. Initially it seemed the issue was confined to Freightliner but I have seen reports of failure on Spartan chassis as well.

I've not seen any reports of failure rates but I'm certain it's not 100%. I highly doubt Spartan could give you any probability predictions.

While highly inconvenient a rolling failure shouldn't shut you down, at worst it may derate giving you an opportunity to find a safe place to pull off. Any issues now seem to be exacerbated by a backorder of the needed parts. When a friend experienced a problem last fall the shop had no problem getting the parts.
Thanks for the reply! Think I’ll give Spartan CS a call and see what They have to say....Think I already know the answer, but it’s worth a shot.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

Jay,
So the limp mode and stop engine light is not of concern when this occurs? I can tell you if in the middle of bim buck to, I am not looking for a safe place on my way to or from where I am going. What we think is safe is not always safe, look at the number of officers hit on the road and cars pulled over. I am looking to either get to where I am going or get home. I have had an instance in the past where I was towed with a previous RV 40 miles, had to leave it and pick it up in two weeks. It is not fun. I for one would like to get really some straight information from Spartan as to whether or not the codes can be cleared, as a previous op suggests, and the coach driven even if de-rated.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
After I got shut down twice in one year I purchased a system that will clear the codes plus do forced regen

[ATTACH]

[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]

I have used it and it works great

Can you PM me the link to this information, I would like to look into it.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2020, 04:05 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Here are some videos that might be of assistance. The first one is how to replace a DEF head. There is also some disturbing videos on how DEF can crystalize. Storing for a length of time can also be an issue. At some point someone is going to have to come up with a workaround so that we can get these things to a service center without going into limp mode. I asked about that and was told by Spartan that the GOV has put things in place to prevent that from happening.

Lastly, a Cummins service tech told me that you might be able to clear the error by turning the ignition on and off 6 times (no need to start.)

https://hollandbuscompany.com/wp-con...eplacement.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46782-4244.pdf
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2&&FORM=VDRVSR
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F8DF7C6630E9BD
Zarbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Jay,
So the limp mode and stop engine light is not of concern when this occurs? I can tell you if in the middle of bim buck to, I am not looking for a safe place on my way to or from where I am going. What we think is safe is not always safe, look at the number of officers hit on the road and cars pulled over. I am looking to either get to where I am going or get home. I have had an instance in the past where I was towed with a previous RV 40 miles, had to leave it and pick it up in two weeks. It is not fun. I for one would like to get really some straight information from Spartan as to whether or not the codes can be cleared, as a previous op suggests, and the coach driven even if de-rated.
Of course it's a concern and stressful should it occur and I understand safe place is a relative term. You're not likely to get stuck in the middle of the highway, you'll be able to travel to the next exit, parking lot or at least to the side of the road.

Spartan or Freightliner would be the best sources as to what derate actually means in the case of a DEF head failure but I highly doubt it puts the health of your engine at risk. What it does do is put you outside legal emissions standards and I suspect our government nannies insist the system be designed so a failure can't be ignored.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:41 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
After having my DEF sensor changed in the parking lot of Cummins using one of their mobile service trucks, I have a lot less fear of being stranded or towed. It is a unit that can be changed in a parking lot. No reason to panic, it's harder to get the part from Spartan than it is to get parked and arrange for a mobile service. I drove 35 miles after the DEF head quit with no problem.

Has anyone been towed because of a failed DEF sensor? I don't recall anybody saying they had. Most have been able to make it in for the change.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #39

Just pulling out for a trip to Colorado and here is what I got.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200820_121837.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	297995
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:57 PM   #40

So a LOT of the Super C’s being built on the New Freightliner S2 chassis are having the same problems. I was having several MIL’s coming up but going out. Most were SPN 3363 which is a DEF heater over voltage. After lots of emails with FCCC I was finally sent the diagrams to check the DEF heater coolant lines as they were finding many chassis were built with the coolant line connected in reverse which was causing the DEF tank to overheat, some as high as 160 degrees which in turn fries the sensors. Many people were having their Headers replaced only to go out again because many Freightliner service centers did not know about the coolant lines, only the people going through FCCC first for service were getting this checked. If this is the case on other chassis’s may have this same issue. FWIW, I checked my coolant lines to the drawings they sent and mine were reversed. I took it into a local Freightliner service center for replacement and FCCC even called them to tell them to check the lines.....after I got home I double checked their work and the lines were STILL reversed
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:02 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Not to sound or be political, but after reading all of the posts, learning the DEF head problems started after 2016 when DEF fluid conditions had to be read. It sounds like more govt regulations that nobody can manufacture successfully. Just imagine what new regulations would be passed with the "Green New Deal". More regulations with no way to successfully manufacture the requirements.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Not to sound or be political, but after reading all of the posts, learning the DEF head problems started after 2016 when DEF fluid conditions had to be read. It sounds like more govt regulations that nobody can manufacture successfully. Just imagine what new regulations would be passed with the "Green New Deal". More regulations with no way to successfully manufacture the requirements.
There has not ever been one thing in my lifetime that government has gotten involved in that has went well. Hell they can’t even run the post office when fed ex and ups make billions they lose billions.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote