Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 05:15 AM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGilchrist View Post
When the mobile tech from Cummins came to me for repair this is the unit he used as it looks identical except his device had a Cummins logo. It’s up there as far as price at $3,500 but if you must have it here it is.

https://oemdiagnostictools.com/cummi...ealer-package/
And I believe that is per year for the Insite program...........
1200.00 per year for 12 month licence...........
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #114

Well, I am not going to drop the cash needed for a Cumming unit, but I dropped $200 bucks to be able to buy my own Valor TPMS programmer (and have never needed it.....) and I would easily drop $150 for a scanner if it would get me out of a "must tow" situation. Being towed is definitely my last resort.... I have heard so many really terrible stories about being towed by a company that obviously didn't know what they were doing towing a motorcoach, that I will do almost anything to avoid being towed.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually used this device for clearing a shut-down or red severe de-rate code from their coach. May have to buy it just to have it in case. Anyone out there?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #115

Well Gary it seems I have a black cloud that follows me around lately so when I head out on my trip next weekend I’ll be sure to let you know if I end up using it. Fingers crossed I don’t but now I’m interested as well to see if it does what it says. Like Gary stated if anyone has used it let us know!
JGilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Kert

Do you have a ballpark idea of what a spare DEF sensor assembly would cost to purchase? (EDIT: I read back through this thread and zman reported roughly $1000 for a spare DEF head !

It is true that lots of DEF sensors are working just fine. The problem is that they are more common than we would like to hear, and they, when they occur, have the potential of shutting down whatever carefully made plans we have and throw our future into complete disarray until resolved. Not fun.

Gary
My friend with a 2019 Cornerstone keep getting the def error code and then it would go away. He was not having to clear it. Then the code stuck and he took the coach to Cummins in Houston. They did a ecm update and cleared the code and told him it was fixed. Maybe two weeks later the code is back again and stays. He takes coach back to Cummins and they said it was a bad head and replaced the unit.

So with the information in this thread and my friends problem I would think if the code sticks and does not clear on it's own, go and clear it. I would think that they will not replace the def head (if under warranty) if no codes are showing after you clear it.

The problem I see of buying a new head to carry around with you is we know that the gen 6 head has too many problems to go and buy a spare one with possible the same problems. Thus I think the code clearing is a better option.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #117

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Well, I am not going to drop the cash needed for a Cumming unit, but I dropped $200 bucks to be able to buy my own Valor TPMS programmer (and have never needed it.....) and I would easily drop $150 for a scanner if it would get me out of a "must tow" situation. Being towed is definitely my last resort.... I have heard so many really terrible stories about being towed by a company that obviously didn't know what they were doing towing a motorcoach, that I will do almost anything to avoid being towed.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually used this device for clearing a shut-down or red severe de-rate code from their coach. May have to buy it just to have it in case. Anyone out there?

Gary
Having an engine code reader and being able to erase codes makes a lot more since that putting more money into the Valid TPMS. I sure could have used a code reader on the 14 with all the bogus codes and CEL it use to throw for no reason.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Update on DEF head 6 replacement

First off when my dash lit up with error codes I was able to drive it 250 miles home without going into limp mode. When I got home to unload I shut the engine off. If you are getting error messages concerning emissions DO NOT SHUT THE ENGINE OFF. Once I shut the engine off it went into limp mode. When I asked the Cummins technician about this he told me that once I shut it down it went to limp mode.

Ok, I new have a new DEF Head 6 installed. Just went on a 1300 mile trip. No issues and the DEF level is reading correctly. I will follow the instructions by the Cummins tech to not use DEF at the truck stop and over fill. I will use only prepackaged DEF and make sure to empty all of it into the tank and not over fill.
Zarbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #119

This may have been addressed in this thread earlier , but I wanted to pass this on to all on this thread. I spoke with Cummins and asked if the code was at the de-rate level would clearing the codes with a scanner and driving the coach cause engine damage? The tech support person said, if you use a scanner to clear the codes for the DEF unit when it is at the de-rate level, it would not cause engine damage. He did state that if you get the RED Engine Stop and continue to drive it could cause engine damage! I know this doesn't answer the question from Chuck " I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually used this device for clearing a shut-down or red severe de-rate code from their coach. I Hope this helps answer others concerns!
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #120

Add another DEF head failure to the list! Went to leave yesterday for a quick getaway and got the dreaded CEL and the DEF codes. Spartan said we are AOG (aircraft term for grounded) and can overnight out the part. I really think its not a matter of if your DEF head fails, its when. - 2019 Aspire
G6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #121

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6driver View Post
Add another DEF head failure to the list! Went to leave yesterday for a quick getaway and got the dreaded CEL and the DEF codes. Spartan said we are AOG (aircraft term for grounded) and can overnight out the part. I really think its not a matter of if your DEF head fails, its when. - 2019 Aspire
After my last experience with less than 2,000 miles, I think a code reader with the ability to clear codes will be onboard before our next trip.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #122

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
And yet another one...

As of last night I can now add my 2019 Cornerstone to the failed DEF head list.

We're headed from our home in Michigan down to Naples, FL and made it to a rest area just north of Macon, GA when the dreaded red Stop Engine light appeared.

Along the way the dash went from no notices to a CEL to where eventually the dash was lit up with all kinds of warnings. Thankfully, I was able to park in rest area as the engine was beginning to derate but at least it was before the engine went into limp mode.

I immediately called Spartan's after hours emergency number and they promised to send a replacement head out overnight, first thing Monday morning. I also tried some of the tapping and power disconnects suggestions on this string but to no avail. Knowing that this had been an issue for others a couple months back I even purchased the Nexas NL102plus code reader. Unfortunately, it was unable to clear ANY codes at any point during the trip. Not real impressed.

The new DEF head should be here Tuesday morning and Coachnet already has a tech lined up. Thats the good news. The bad news is us sitting in a rest area for 40+ hours waiting on an EPA mandated monitoring sensor to be delivered and installed. IMHO it now puts people in more danger by being disabled than any potential environmental benefit.

Kudos once again to Joyce as she intervened and tried many different avenues to get me the parts same day off of another new and nearby in stock coach. She's the best!

One last note regarding Spartan. Once their supply chain is able to support, it might be a good idea to strategically distribute some of these DEF heads to both Cummins dealerships and some larger RV dealerships on major east / west and north south routes. It might help reduce some shipping constraints and improve customer satisfaction. I also believe that this issue is getting so commonplace that it may warrant a TSB so others might avoid what many including myself are having to experience.

Jim
Old 11-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #123

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, thank you for that update and really sorry to hear the Nexas NL102plus code reader did not work. Approximately how far were your able to travel before you went into derate. Many, including me have been curious how far that might be.
Also good to know that Coach Net can help with a roadside repair.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnEllen View Post
As of last night I can now add my 2019 Cornerstone to the failed DEF head list.

We're headed from our home in Michigan down to Naples, FL and made it to a rest area just north of Macon, GA when the dreaded red Stop Engine light appeared.

Along the way the dash went from no notices to a CEL to where eventually the dash was lit up with all kinds of warnings. Thankfully, I was able to park in rest area as the engine was beginning to derate but at least it was before the engine went into limp mode.

I immediately called Spartan's after hours emergency number and they promised to send a replacement head out overnight, first thing Monday morning. I also tried some of the tapping and power disconnects suggestions on this string but to no avail. Knowing that this had been an issue for others a couple months back I even purchased the Nexas NL102plus code reader. Unfortunately, it was unable to clear ANY codes at any point during the trip. Not real impressed.

The new DEF head should be here Tuesday morning and Coachnet already has a tech lined up. Thats the good news. The bad news is us sitting in a rest area for 40+ hours waiting on an EPA mandated monitoring sensor to be delivered and installed. IMHO it now puts people in more danger by being disabled than any potential environmental benefit.

Kudos once again to Joyce as she intervened and tried many different avenues to get me the parts same day off of another new and nearby in stock coach. She's the best!

One last note regarding Spartan. Once their supply chain is able to support, it might be a good idea to strategically distribute some of these DEF heads to both Cummins dealerships and some larger RV dealerships on major east / west and north south routes. It might help reduce some shipping constraints and improve customer satisfaction. I also believe that this issue is getting so commonplace that it may warrant a TSB so others might avoid what many including myself are having to experience.

Jim
Just talked to a friend and he had the def head failure. Spartan sent him the part and he replaced it. After the new def unit was installed he was able to clear the codes by cycling the start sequence a few times. We didn’t get into the details of exactly how he cleared the codes, but if you need me to find out I’ll be glad to find out from him.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #125

Jim,

Do you have the heavy duty truck version of the nexus? I haven’t heard of any not working. I have had great luck with it. Even reading the reviews people say it saved them from being derated.

Hopefully all works out for you.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #126

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Jim,

Do you have the heavy duty truck version of the nexus? I haven’t heard of any not working. I have had great luck with it. Even reading the reviews people say it saved them from being derated.

Hopefully all works out for you.
Zman,

I have the Nexas NextLink NL102PLUS which claims to have HD truck interface capabilities. In fact I clicked on the link to Amazon and ordered it after others had recommended it. FWIW, I've read elsewhere that while this device can delete codes it does not have the ability to delete codes that are still showing as active. I also believe that as others have alluded to that Cummins has a paid licensed version that one needs to really get in and make any changes or deletions.

Then again there's always the possibility that I used the tool improperly. However, I was able to see the codes ....I just wasn't able to delete them.

Jim