Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2021, 09:29 PM   #183

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
He has new DEF head in hand, but is wondering if he needs a tech to clear the codes after swapping heads.
Sorry I was not aware of that. Others have posted here after changing the head they were able to clear the codes with several restarts
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #184

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you log into your Cummins QuickServe account and access the information for your fault codes, it spells out in detail exactly what conditions much occur for each of the codes to clear.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:03 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3509 View Post
So, I'm in full derate, snail mode. I was under the impression I needed someone with a Cummins computer to reset the derate code. Any of you DIY were in full derate and your codes all reset on their own?
When mine went out I wasn’t in full derate, but it had debated some. As soon as the def probe was replaced the check engine light went out next time ignition was turned on. I cycled the ignition half dozen times and started the engine the MIL light went out and the codes cleared. No computer was used to clear any of it AFTER the probe was replaced.
I can’t say for sure, but I don’t think it matters if you’re in derate or not as far as the codes clearing after a probe is replaced. The ECU will see the problem no longer exist and will clear itself.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #186

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
If you log into your Cummins QuickServe account and access the information for your fault codes, it spells out in detail exactly what conditions much occur for each of the codes to clear.
I created an account but couldn’t really find my way around quick serve. Are there a few simple steps to take to find their procedures for each code? I have OTR diagnostics and it provides the same thing and might be straight from Cummins but there also might be differences worth looking at.

Thanks
Rich
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #187

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
After you login successfully you should have a choice in the top 1/4 of the page labeled “Service”. Inside there should be a tab for “Fault Code Search”. Select that. Then look for a tab to the right called “SPN/FMI to Fault Codes”. Select that. Look for 2 fields labeled “SPN Code:” and “FMI Code:”. Fill those both in and click “Search”. Look for one or more highlighted links to the Fault Code description. Click the link for a summary and on the summary page you’ll find additional links to more detailed info including how to clear the faults and troubleshooting trees.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #188

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Two more things is you MUST have your Engine serial number to open an account on QSOL and be aware that the SPN/FMI codes are defined by the SAE and are NOT the same as ODB codes, even though they are associated with each other. The OBD codes come from a separate system from the SPN Codes so don’t confuse the two.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #189

Eliminate the Derates

Just my 2 cents here. Def is a problem when it fails it derates the engine down to idle only. Take it to someone that has the Cummins Insite software and have them delete the derates. That way when it fails you can still keep on trucking and get to a shop or fix it yourself.. I have the software and I turned all the derates off. Screw Cummins and there Derates. DEF ain't going to smoke the engine. Tree huugers will get bent out of shape.
krvtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #190

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krvtz View Post
Just my 2 cents here. Def is a problem when it fails it derates the engine down to idle only. Take it to someone that has the Cummins Insite software and have them delete the derates. That way when it fails you can still keep on trucking and get to a shop or fix it yourself.. I have the software and I turned all the derates off. Screw Cummins and there Derates. DEF ain't going to smoke the engine. Tree huugers will get bent out of shape.
I think that is false information. My Cummins shop, in Ft Myers with their mega computer tried that on a truck in for a DEF head. It cleared the codes as far as the next stop light about 3 block from the shop, they returned with the DEF codes still active. They said if it worked, they could make a fortune with road calls getting truckers home with bad DEF heads, but it was not to be. If a Cummins computer can't do it, I doubt if there is one that can, if so, I know a Cummins shop that will buy one.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 08-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #191

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krvtz View Post
If is was that easy, hundreds or thousands of owners would have done it already. While it is possible to have it done, the penalty for it is steep. In a recent document the EPA has went after individuals and shops found to have tampered with removing or deactivating a device. Penalties range from $4800 for individuals, to $48,000 for shops. One shop was fined $850,000.

Explains why there isn't a bunch of shops willing to step up and alter federal emission system.

Here is the link I referenced. https://www.northeastdiesel.org/tampering.html
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #192

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I think that is false information. My Cummins shop, in Ft Myers with their mega computer tried that on a truck in for a DEF head. It cleared the codes as far as the next stop light about 3 block from the shop, they returned with the DEF codes still active. They said if it worked, they could make a fortune with road calls getting truckers home with bad DEF heads, but it was not to be. If a Cummins computer can't do it, I doubt if there is one that can, if so, I know a Cummins shop that will buy one.
My guess is this is what the shops north of the border are doing and they can do it remotely or at their shop if you can get there.

The quote was $2500 to leave the DOC and DPF functional but deactivate the DEF system so the DEF tank, pump, doser and SCR would still be there but no longer require DEF. Also $300 rental fee for the lap top to j1939 link.

So it can be done but as the Sarge notes, it could have consequences here in the states. I haven’t done it and with over 25k on my current DEF head, probably won’t need to.

But since my emissions warranty period is now over, which is criminal considering the state of these emissions systems, I’ll seriously consider it before spending my money on their mistakes.

The DEF system could always be reactivated once the idiots in charge of this mess get their collective acts together.

If you need more info, pm and I’ll provide it to members on request, but it didn’t take much effort to find a shop to do it.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #193

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
My guess is this is what the shops north of the border are doing and they can do it remotely or at their shop if you can get there.

The quote was $2500 to leave the DOC and DPF functional but deactivate the DEF system so the DEF tank, pump, doser and SCR would still be there but no longer require DEF. Also $300 rental fee for the lap top to j1939 link.

So it can be done but as the Sarge notes, it could have consequences here in the states. I haven’t done it and with over 25k on my current DEF head, probably won’t need to.

But since my emissions warranty period is now over, which is criminal considering the state of these emissions systems, I’ll seriously consider it before spending my money on their mistakes.

The DEF system could always be reactivated once the idiots in charge of this mess get their collective acts together.

If you need more info, pm and I’ll provide it to members on request, but it didn’t take much effort to find a shop to do it.
I didn't say it couldn't be done. The post stated with Cummins software, if I understood it correctly. https://www.cummins.com/parts-and-se...ervices/insite I received the information first hand that it cannot be done with Cummins software supplied to Cummins shops.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 08-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #194

Tiffin Owners Club
I am sure that the Cummins software supplied to shops wouldn't have that capability. I don't know what software the shops in Canada are using, but I know of various Canadians on other forums that have had theirs removed already. It's just a matter of knowing how.

But if it was widespread it would be a simple matter to set up a roadside test station on a major highway and pull diesels over for a quick test. Just as the link I posted above indicates, a simple exhaust sniffer that tests for "opaqueness" of the exhaust would be a quick tell tale sign.

Could be a very expensive stop.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
I am sure that the Cummins software supplied to shops wouldn't have that capability. I don't know what software the shops in Canada are using, but I know of various Canadians on other forums that have had theirs removed already. It's just a matter of knowing how.

But if it was widespread it would be a simple matter to set up a roadside test station on a major highway and pull diesels over for a quick test. Just as the link I posted above indicates, a simple exhaust sniffer that tests for "opaqueness" of the exhaust would be a quick tell tale sign.

Could be a very expensive stop.
That wouldn’t tell you anything. The system still works it derates you because the def sensors go bad, not the operation.
Kinda like a tire pressure sensor goes bad tire still has air, but sensor doesn’t see it.
They would actually have to look at the ECU to tell and if you don’t give them access to inside that would be hard to do.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #196

Tiffin Owners Club
I am talking about a disconnected or defeated system. Not one that merely thinks it empty. If my coach was to have the Def system defeated the tail pipe would be black in days. As of right now it's still clean with over 40,000 miles on it.