Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
New member with engine hatch issue

Thanks for having me on the forum. I hope someone can help me. I have a 2017 Anthem and like many on here one of my actuators went out. Not realizing what was happening I continued to try to operate the hatch. Bent both upper arms severely and broke one of the gas struts. I talked to customer service about replacement parts and was quoted 368$ each for the actuators (they said to replace both of them) and $150 each for the upper arms. I found the actuators from another vender for less than half price each, so I’ve been looking for a supplier for the upper arms because I can only imagine how much they have these marked up. My question is does anyone know where I can get these other than through customer service/parts? Or a bracket that I could use to replace these two arms without the end to attach the actuators. I’ve read on here I could just not use power actuators and upgrade the gas struts from 40lb lift to 90lb lift and convert it to manual. Which is what I’d really like to do anyway. The door opens way too slow in my opinion.
Rushingd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hopefully someone will be along that can help!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for having us. I noticed you’re from Columbus. Even though my profile says Kinmundy IL, I lived in mooreville ms for about 30 years. The wife and I sold the house last year and started full time RV life.
Rushingd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #4

Some potentially useful information in this thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/eng...er-539548.html
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushingd2000 View Post
My question is does anyone know where I can get these other than through customer service/parts? Or a bracket that I could use to replace these two arms without the end to attach the actuators. I’ve read on here I could just not use power actuators and upgrade the gas struts from 40lb lift to 90lb lift and convert it to manual. Which is what I’d really like to do anyway. The door opens way too slow in my opinion.
I am not familiar with your engine hatch and can't contribute to parts or modification but will say be careful increasing the lift of the gas struts. It is important that they are anchored in a spot that can support the increase in pressure. Don't ask me how i know.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #6

https://www.futuresalesrv.com/index....te=common/home

Take a look around on the above website. They might have some parts that you need. I bought a gas strut for the bed from them. One of mine just quit working and as I lowered it without watching, the connection plate got moved. I was able to make it work. Good luck.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #7

One of the scissor brackets that lifts the hatch bent on our 2016 Cornerstone. I think one of the linear actuators was failing and since both sides were moving at different speeds the whole hatch racked and bent one of the brackets. I contacted the manufacturer, MORryde International in Elkhart, IN. There must have been an issue with this system, at least for our model year. MORryde sent me replacement actuators and a replacement scissor bracket to replace the bent one. I had to send pictures to document the problem but they responded with free replacement parts. It would certainly be worth a call to them.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PatMann
Engine Hatch Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Some potentially useful information in this thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/eng...er-539548.html
I followed this thread in hopes that I would find a fix for my problem, but my issue is just the opposite.

My 14 Anthem has a manual hatch - I'm only 5'2", without the strength of most of you, no matter how hard I try, I can't open the hatch. Would anyone know of a modification that could make it easier to open?
PatMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #9

Pat

Im sure that you have tried this, but I owned a 15 Anthem and its hatch was a dickens to open. What I discovered was that you have to grab the hatch at the very bottom (or at least the bottom slot) and pull out and up. It is damn hard to pull open if you grab it anywhere near the bottom or the top..... but you get the leverage the right way at the bottom and it was fairly easy to do.

That might still not work. My memory is that it is spring loaded. But the pull is toward your body and them up.

Now, I would think that you could totally remove the spring assembly or compression cylinder and then see if you dont have a metal cross brace that you could loop a piece of velcro through the slats and around the support member (for the expansion tank????) or a nylon rope that attaches to one solid support in the engine compartment and you could tie snuggly around one of the horizontal slats.... maybe not elegant, but would work.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:25 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PatMann
Engine Hatch Issue

[QUOTE=Gary.Jones;6041910]Pat

Im sure that you have tried this, but I owned a 15 Anthem and its hatch was a dickens to open. What I discovered was that you have to grab the hatch at the very bottom (or at least the bottom slot) and pull out and up. It is damn hard to pull open if you grab it anywhere near the bottom or the top..... but you get the leverage the right way at the bottom and it was fairly easy to do.

That might still not work. My memory is that it is spring loaded. But the pull is toward your body and them up.
QUOTE]

Thanks Gary. I'll give it another try. Not being able to raise the hatch means I have to ask someone to help, which I don't really mind, but I worry it could be dangerous not being able to access the engine in an emergency. If I still can't lift it, only other option is to remove the assembly and go from there.
PatMann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, new member