Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Same thing we were told. The person who told us said we hadn't heard it from him/her. We were showed how to just move the plug to the other outlet and bypass the box.

Can anyone tell us if switching to the Rand McNally software is worth the cost? We have the previously mentioned hardware so we can make the switch. We haven't noticed an issue with the delivered software other than the interface is pretty cheesy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
No upgrade path for Xite Nav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
Same thing we were told. The person who told us said we hadn't heard it from him/her. We were showed how to just move the plug to the other outlet and bypass the box.

Can anyone tell us if switching to the Rand McNally software is worth the cost? We have the previously mentioned hardware so we can make the switch. We haven't noticed an issue with the delivered software other than the interface is pretty cheesy.
Yes, I would like to hear from anyone that is running Tripmaker on the Xite too.

The provided Xite software appears to be a TomTom based route engine with Teleatlas maps and has some features I like.

My main beef with the Xite Nav, is so far I have run into a dead end in regard to upgrades. Anyone else have success at this that has a "C series" radio?

Whether it be maps or large vehicle support. You are supposed to be able to install "Navitools" (from naviextras.com) on your PC, take the SD card from the xite, mount it to your PC and ultimately get a list of available upgrade options and costs.

I tried that and it didn't work so I contacted naviextras support, sent them the requested license file from the SD card, and got this response:

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that this device is not supported on Naviextras yet. We need to check whether it is possible to support this model.
We have opened an internal trouble ticket and our developers are working on the solution. We are going to inform you as soon as there is a solution. Until that we would like to ask for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Corinna,
Naviextras® Support

It burns me that a brand new GPS device on a brand new coach has no upgrade path and is basically on its way to near obsolescence in a matter of months.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Some manufacturers offer the NAV system as an option. For the reasons stated above, many do not take the option. Personally, I feel most built in NAV units are greatly lacking. The one in my Honda is another great example. If I had the option, I would not waste my money on these systems. Much prefer my Garmin.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Some manufacturers offer the NAV system as an option. For the reasons stated above, many do not take the option. Personally, I feel most built in NAV units are greatly lacking. The one in my Honda is another great example. If I had the option, I would not waste my money on these systems. Much prefer my Garmin.
Agree with you on the Garmin, one of the best written route engines out there. Have a built-in Garmin in my Honda (aftermarket) which is part of my Kenwood brand "infocenter" (similar to the xite), so it is feasible for an OEM to install a quality GPS - many don't but some do. I am hoping to hear some good things about the Rand McNally firmware, I don't really want a third screen to deal with. In other respects I think the xcite product is decent - blows away my Kenwood in regard to user interface.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
I used the factory supplied Nav system yesterday for the first time, and I found it satisfactory. I have used Garmin, Rand McNally, and Megallan units Plus factory units by Acura, Mercedes and Lincoln and have found a wide variation in user-friendliness. I agree that generally the Garmins are the easiest to use. All of them will get you to where you want to go, but some will make you tear your hair out and others are easy. The one in my Entegra is not terrible and as time goes on and I learn its functions better, I don't see why it won't serve me well. I have an RM 7710 that I used in my last coach, but right now I plan to use the factory one in my Entegra as the built-in aspect is so much nicer than hanging on the dash with wires showing.

Quote:
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I used the factory supplied Nav system yesterday for the first time, and I found it satisfactory. I have used Garmin, Rand McNally, and Megallan units Plus factory units by Acura, Mercedes and Lincoln and have found a wide variation in user-friendliness. I agree that generally the Garmins are the easiest to use. All of them will get you to where you want to go, but some will make you tear your hair out and others are easy. The one in my Entegra is not terrible and as time goes on and I learn its functions better, I don't see why it won't serve me well. I have an RM 7710 that I used in my last coach, but right now I plan to use the factory one in my Entegra as the built-in aspect is so much nicer than hanging on the dash with wires showing.
Agree that the nav on the xite is decent enough and does the job pretty well. There are some settings/features I really like. But, without a way to get map/poi updates, the value declines rapidly over time. Have you figured out a way to get updates?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
I haven't looked for updates, and I hope they are or will be available. However, I don't consider updates crucial except over the long term, as most of this information changes little from year to year. As for highway info, it rarely changes at all. So I am not worried about updates for at least a few years, and by then everything may be different in the world of electronics and we may be navigating by way of a chip implanted in our brains!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
We seem to have a unit that could handle the RM. I agree with Marc however. The installed unit seems to work as well as our Garmin 465 (For truckers). There isn't any traffic info, but for now we'll probably stay with the nit as it came unless we see some serous advantage.

I also agree that with the speed of changing technology, the optimum time to upgrade is probably about 2-3 years.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Will be interesting to see if the upgrade is easy and affordable for those with the old model. I have the Rand McNally 7720 and love it so far but having it integrated into the dash unit would free up top dash space for something else. Hmmmm.... Maybe I will find a place for the VMSPC iPad display after all.
An update here.... I used the 7720 on a cross country car trip and its use was quite straight forward. Now I'm trying to use it in the coach and it isn't as accurate as my Garmin 1350 nor as intuitive to use. Anyone want a good bargain on a 7720? Send me a PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
As stated in my post on the other thread...some of the routing the software has placed us on just doesn't make sense, and at times has been incomprehensible.

Buyer beware.

I've been generally satisfied with my Exite installed.

JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
As stated in my post on the other thread...some of the routing the software has placed us on just doesn't make sense, and at times has been incomprehensible.

Buyer beware.

I've been generally satisfied with my Exite installed.

JMHO
I think this true with any GPS. They are tools and should always be verified via a second or third source, especially when driving our big rigs. Even my Garmin does weird routing every now and then.

That said, I still have my 7720 up for sale to some lucky but careful buyer.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #40

RiverPark XSGNA2 with Rand McNally for sale

I have a brand new in the box XSGNA2 with the Rand McNally software.
Still in the box with all the connectors and cables.
If anyone has interest.

jeffreyduford@hotmail.com
EntegraFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntegraFun View Post
I have a brand new in the box XSGNA2 with the Rand McNally software.
Still in the box with all the connectors and cables.
If anyone has interest.

jeffreyduford@hotmail.com
Wow! Just curious how you came by that and how much do you want for it?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #42

Got lucky and happened to be in the Right place at the right time. If I can sell it for $600, ill make a quick buck. Might cover the cost of having half the coach washed LOL!
Shipping included as long as its in the US.
If anyone is interested. I can send pics. Just shoot me an email and ill respond.
Jeffreyduford@hotmail.com
EntegraFun is offline   Reply With Quote