Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #57

the need for a new type of RV park

we found one in Sullivan Mo. no thrills, no swimming pool, no playground, just simply an overnight RV park, cost $35.00 a night and it had electric, water and dump all at your parking spot, Nice place, clean and easy for our 44 ft.er. plus we were pulling our truck, I did have to unhook the truck but it was no big deal for us. Check it out, i don't remember the name of it though.
calbright50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #58

Loves

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
As Ginny and I travel around we've discussed the needs of current RV travelers.

There's a real need for a different type of RV parking on a temporary basis. No pools or hot tubs, just paved areas for self contained overnight parking. A dump station could be added for a fee. With online shopping hurting the "sticks and bricks" stores, I'm surprised somebody in the real-estate business hasn't put one of these together. Wouldn't be much overhead.
I
I read where loves it getting into rv camp business. I have 10 acres next to live truck stop in Enid Oklahoma.
ThorOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #59

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I read many people saying $50 a night would barely cover the note. A campground with 50 sites charging $25 per night could, if full, gross over $450,000 per year. Seems like a profit could be made at $25. IMHO.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Every time I have been in the hospital (way too many times in the last two years, by the way) I have brought up the subject that there are more and more full time RVers, with pets, that need a place to park the RV while their partner is in the hospital.
Notice I said "A place to park the RV." Not a dump station or power pedestal.
Large medical complexes have an even greater need for a facility for these folks. What do they do with their RV if the DW doesn't drive it? What about the care of the pet? The cost of lodging the pet(s)?
What about the prohibitive cost of a hotel or motel room plus meals, plus rent for parking the RV?
Commuting distances in a big city?
Marshfield Medical Facility in Marshfield, Wisconsin does allow some RV parking, altho it is just the far end of a parking lot and not terribly level. I have seen a couple Class A coaches parked there.
I'm Sorry If I appear less than Sympathetic to this post. Current RV's are running up to and beyond $500,000! And I'm supposing these Owners have static homes well in excess of that? Now you're looking at medical facilities to provide RV stations on their grounds so that multi-millionaires can cheapsskate their way into parking long term if their partner is hospitalised. I'm afraid that sort of takes the cake. If you can afford a $500K motorhome that runs at 6 MPG (at $3.50 a gallon), Park the RV and get an hotel! You encompass about 4 things - You stop poluting the Ozone (for a brief instance); You save money; you don't need to choke up the parking lot of a medical faciliity and you stop being selfish.
Bartleby
Bartleby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Price of land, cost of approved plans/permits, cost of infrastructure, cost of construction, roads/pads etc
Add in Dump station.....$$$

Lucky if $45/nite covers overhead and profit margin
There are motels not much more than they charge for sites at RV Parks. Think of their tax valuation and overhead with all the help compared to a RV Park. They need to replace beds, carpet, paint, etc,,, every few years, RV park would even come close to a motels overhead. I have read these low cost RV parks are already available in some parts of the county.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #62

The type of park you are looking for existed back in the 80s when my wife and I began rving. Most were pretty basic with water, sewer and electric. Some had shower and laundry facilities and that was it. Many times when we pulled in after a day on the road, there wasn't even anyone around to check us in. In those cases, they would have a box with envelopes to fill in the information such as name, address, rig info etc. You would put the nightly fee (often about $20-25) in the envelope and drop it in a slot in the door.

Many times we never saw anyone except other rvers coming and going. Most of those kinds of stops disappeared over the last 25 years. This likely played a role in the rise of Walmart parking. We wish these overnight RV stops were still around. It was emblematic of the kind of trusting community that made RV culture so appealing.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mayo Jacksonville has an RV parking area. No facilities.
Tallcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #64

My wife and I are retired and survive on our combined SSI benefits. We live in Michigan and go south around mid January and are always looking for rest areas and openings in truck stops to overnight. We are not "well off", willing to pay $10 to $30 for a safe place to park, we are self contained in our 2008, 26 foot 5th wheel and don't take up too much room. There will always be those people looking for a freebie in their $100K motor homes; How do you think they can afford those land barges anyways????
JnKfrom48602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:17 PM   #65

new style rv park needed

While I agree with the OP, that what is needed is more basic rv parks for overnighter use, but what I am seeing out there is just the opposite. There are several former RV parks that I have seen lately where they have turned it into storage instead, as it produces predictable income and not much oversight. No complaints about hookups, no barking dog complaints, etc. Plus they can stack them up like cord wood in places near high end developments where they cannot park their rigs on their site. There are three conversions like this in Phoenix, alone. That seems to be trending more than low amenity, low cost parks. At the other end of the spectrum are former snowbird rv parks turning into permanent park model destinations.
Jackiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
As Ginny and I travel around we've discussed the needs of current RV travelers.

There's a real need for a different type of RV parking on a temporary basis. No pools or hot tubs, just paved areas for self contained overnight parking. A dump station could be added for a fee. With online shopping hurting the "sticks and bricks" stores, I'm surprised somebody in the real-estate business hasn't put one of these together. Wouldn't be much overhead.
Dave, you could add a few pads on the property you have your business and storage units on !
Old 11-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #67

Hospital stays

Quote:
Every time I have been in the hospital (way too many times in the last two years, by the way) I have brought up the subject that there are more and more full time RVers, with pets, that need a place to park the RV while their partner is in the hospital.
Large medical complexes have an even greater need for a facility for these folks. What do they do with their RV if the DW doesn't drive it? What about the care of the pet? The cost of lodging the pet(s)?
What about the prohibitive cost of a hotel or motel room plus meals, plus rent for parking the RV?
Marshfield Medical Facility in Marshfield, Wisconsin does allow some RV parking, altho it is just the far end of a parking lot and not terribly level. I have seen a couple Class A coaches parked there.
When we were in Anchorage AK in 2013, my wife had to spend 2 nights in the hospital & they had 4 spots in the parking lot with 30 amp power pedestals for rvers to stay free.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Price out the cost of a single concrete pad with 50 Amp electric and water. Add the price of five acres near the interstate. I think you’ll find the price exceeds $3m fr 30-40 sites. $12-15 a night…ain’t going to happen.

I agree. They would still have to deal with the trash, upkeep. lighting and security.
Just look at the way some boon dockers leave their sites.

That and the cost of liability insurance.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Loves RV Stops
https://www.camplife.com/campground/Loves+RV+Stops
Old 11-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #70

Quote:
The hospital in Abilene, Texas has exactly that.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park