Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
New style Vega Touch power switch discovery?

With the Classic I never had a problem running one roof air on my storage 20 amp power by setting the "shore power" to 5 amps. Never a draw problem or the HW 50 shedding power.

The new VT does not have that option, so I store with the inverters off, and only one battery charger turned on and have still been able to run one AC unit.

The other day power was disconnected to install the HW 50C. Today I could not run an AC without the HW 50 shedding the AC unit. Checked the amp draw and it was 18, with low line voltage. After all the checks, the VT defaulted back to both battery chargers on. Turned one off and ran the AC all day with no problem.

Lesson learned, if shore power is disconnected, the VT defaults to inverters and both battery chargers on, I had a high usage of 23 amps. Inverters and chargers have to be reset if power is disconnected and reconnected if using 110v.

At least I know the HW 50 is working correctly and another learning experience.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #2

On the 2017's the VT is able to detect incoming power amps and it shuts the second charger down automatically if you are hooked up to 30 amp or less. Does is not do that on the newer 2019 VT? It doesn't do anything with the inverters that I know of. If they are on, they stay on, if they are off, they stay off.

What happens if you lose power in a storm and its reconnected? You have to run down to your storage spot and turn the inverters and chargers off again? If that's the case you better make sure you have the low voltage cutout set pretty high so that you don't kill the batteries when the power goes out again for a much longer time.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Jeanne, you are 100% correct. I am not sure about shutting down to one inverter, but for a fact both chargers come back on. I have to manually turn the second charge off every time I plug into 110v at my storage location. If a person is on 15 amp, it will blow the breaker as both chargers on draw 18 amps. I will check what the inverters do, if it's one or 2 and will post back. I shut both off my inverters off, but I will disconnect power and see what happen with both inverter on, then plug back into 110v and see if one shuts down like the 17.

One thing nice about the 19 Vega Touch, I can monitor the power usage on my cell phone. Both AC and AMPS being drawn. Very handy after an afternoon thunderstorm. But you might be right. This is the first time I have turned power off and reconnected on 110v to find both chargers back on not allowing an AC to run.

You made some good points for me to check, thank you. My LBCO is set to I believe 10.8. This post probably doesn't mean much except those that need to use 110v. If they stop at a relatives to stay and don't remember...hope they remember the search function
Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Jeanne, you are 100% correct. I am not sure about shutting down to one inverter, but for a fact both chargers come back on. I have to manually turn the second charge off every time I plug into 110v at my storage location. If a person is on 15 amp, it will blow the breaker as both chargers on draw 18 amps. I will check what the inverters do, if it's one or 2 and will post back. I shut both off my inverters off, but I will disconnect power and see what happen with both inverter on, then plug back into 110v and see if one shuts down like the 17.

One thing nice about the 19 Vega Touch, I can monitor the power usage on my cell phone. Both AC and AMPS being drawn. Very handy after an afternoon thunderstorm. But you might be right. This is the first time I have turned power off and reconnected on 110v to find both chargers back on not allowing an AC to run.

You made some good points for me to check, thank you. My LBCO is set to I believe 10.8. This post probably doesn't mean much except those that need to use 110v. If they stop at a relatives to stay and don't remember...hope they remember the search function
Chuck,

When you say with both chargers ON they are drawing 18 amps is that AC or DC?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
jc1

Quote:
With the Classic I never had a problem running one roof air on my storage 20 amp power by setting the "shore power" to 5 amps. Never a draw problem or the HW 50 shedding power.

The new VT does not have that option, so I store with the inverters off, and only one battery charger turned on and have still been able to run one AC unit.

The other day power was disconnected to install the HW 50C. Today I could not run an AC without the HW 50 shedding the AC unit. Checked the amp draw and it was 18, with low line voltage. After all the checks, the VT defaulted back to both battery chargers on. Turned one off and ran the AC all day with no problem.

Lesson learned, if shore power is disconnected, the VT defaults to inverters and both battery chargers on, I had a high usage of 23 amps. Inverters and chargers have to be reset if power is disconnected and reconnected if using 110v.

At least I know the HW 50 is working correctly and another learning experience.
I have an 18 anthem in storage which only has 110v gfci receptacle available for plug in. I would turn off the breaker for inverter #2 on panel on driver side. I can't even leave the fridge on without tripping the 110v receptacle. So I just turn off the breaker for the fridge and just let the batteries charge. I would love to turn and leave on one roof a/c since it is stored in hot and humid florida. I thought it would be too much draw to turn one roof a/c while plugged into 110v. How were you able to do it. Maybe I am missing something since I am new to entegra and vegatouch. Thanks.
jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Chuck,

When you say with both chargers ON they are drawing 18 amps is that AC or DC?
18 amps AC. I am on a 20 amp circuit.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
I have an 18 anthem in storage which only has 110v gfci receptacle available for plug in. I would turn off the breaker for inverter #2 on panel on driver side. I can't even leave the fridge on without tripping the 110v receptacle. So I just turn off the breaker for the fridge and just let the batteries charge. I would love to turn and leave on one roof a/c since it is stored in hot and humid florida. I thought it would be too much draw to turn one roof a/c while plugged into 110v. How were you able to do it. Maybe I am missing something since I am new to entegra and vegatouch. Thanks.
With a 110 GFI, I think is where you are going to be limited. MH's and GFI's do not play well together.

I am on 20 amp 110, but it is heavy service. I can turn off the battery chargers (the previous Anthem could be set to 5 amps). and run one roof are which draws 15 amps. I can still run the refrigerator, it only draws 3 amps and I am still below the 20 amps. I only use the roof air when I am working on the MH, also here in FL. During storage I have a dehumidifier running 24/7 draining into the sink. I'll check the amp draw on that, but I don't think it is much, maybe 10 amps.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

This post is just to clarify what I think I know...

The 50 Amp power source to an RV is really two legs of 110v which supplies 100 amps of 110v...Correct? Nothing in the EC coaches to date runs on 240v.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
18 amps AC. I am on a 20 amp circuit.
Wow, your batteries must be down a fair bit for the chargers to go straight to Bulk and stay there for any length of time.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Wow, your batteries must be down a fair bit for the chargers to go straight to Bulk and stay there for any length of time.
Don, that is possible. I had all power disconnected installing the HW50 for a few hours with all the power cables disconnected, plus the refrigerator was running when I saw 18 amps.
I was surprised that it defaulted to both chargers and inverters on after power was restored and I did not change anything on the Vega Touch. The day before the AC was running with no problem.

I will do some further checking tomorrow as to why this happened, but it did and the one roof air would not run as it always has before until I started resetting everything. I am willing to learn why and one of the reasons for this post. I will try it again tomorrow and if it does not do it again, I will sure post that I don't have a clue what happened.

To be honest, the first thing I thought was I did not have one of the wires secure on the HW50 causing a faulty reading.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post

The 50 Amp power source to an RV is really two legs of 110v which supplies 100 amps of 110v...Correct? Nothing in the EC coaches to date runs on 240v.
You are correct 2 legs of 110. I was getting my high amp reading on leg 2.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
This 50-amp service has 4 wires with two 120-volt HOT feeds. It is a misconception that this 50-amp RV service is something special. This service is a STANDARD 120/240 50-amp 3 pole with 4 prongs used for numerous applications.

From this common service we can draw 120 or 240 volts. Each leg is 50 amps @ 120 volts. 50-amp X 120-volt = 6000 watts. But since there are 2 HOT 120-volt legs at 6000 + 6000 = 12,000 watts to use in the RV or 50-amp X 240-volt = 12,000 watts when used as a 240-volt service.
Almost ALL 50-amp wired RV's use both sides of the service separately as 120 volt on each leg.
AlKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
jc1

Quote:
With a 110 GFI, I think is where you are going to be limited. MH's and GFI's do not play well together.

I am on 20 amp 110, but it is heavy service. I can turn off the battery chargers (the previous Anthem could be set to 5 amps). and run one roof are which draws 15 amps. I can still run the refrigerator, it only draws 3 amps and I am still below the 20 amps. I only use the roof air when I am working on the MH, also here in FL. During storage I have a dehumidifier running 24/7 draining into the sink. I'll check the amp draw on that, but I don't think it is much, maybe 10 amps.
Thanks. This is the first time I'm plugging into gfi outlet and no wonder I can't really run anything without tripping the oulet. Since I try power on the fridge and it trips the gfi oulet, I'm not sure if I can even run the dehumidifier b/c the fridge is 3amp vs dehumidifier 10amp. How big is your dehumidifier (sounds like the full size- 4l).
jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
It's a small 30 pint dehumidifier. I'll check tomorrow how many amps it draws. I know if I forget to turn if off and turn the AC on, I'll trip the breaker.

Tags
cover, discovery, power, switch