Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
I’m thinking about switching to an F1 50 was the aluminum body to reduce the weight of the tow vehicle. I noticed you guys talking about pulling one I thought I would ask any comments or suggestions on the subject?
I recommend taking the truck out of neutral tow mode and disconnecting the umbilical whenever the coach is going to be shut down for more than just a few minutes. It seems that the battery constantly discharges in neutral tow, and when the coach is off, the truck's not getting power over the umbilical. It happens fast enough, in our experience, to drain overnight.

And secondly, even though the F150 isn't supposed to need it, I recommend getting a charging wire anyway. Like I said, the battery seems to drain whenever the transfer case is in neutral. And, more significantly, it seems that if the battery dies completely, the transfer case will pop out of neutral. The consequences of a dead battery are therefore rather dire, and the added difficulty or cost of one little wire is minor.

On the whole, though, it's great. Not as convenient a toad as a Jeep would be, but, on the other hand, it's a heck of a lot nicer (in my opinion) the 99.999% of the time we're not actively messing with toad-related stuff.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
schad totlally agree about a truck as a toad. I have the Chevy Colorado, on mine it is the battery disconnected. Another step, but so minor for the convinces of the pickup. Throw the fishing gear, beach gear, firewood etc in the back and never worry about it. My truck interior is nicer than than DW Lincoln and rides just as nice. JMO
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #17

We have a 2018 GMC Canyon and disconnecting the battery is required as the final step after putting the transfer case in neutral. Roadmaster makes a solenoid disconnect with in cab push button to disconnect/reconnect the battery and 2 years ago cost was about $150 as best I recall. Lazy mans way rather then popping the hood each time !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:11 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Brian, take the word RV off of it and it's only $40. on Amazon plus a short cable. I love it when they put RV on it and tripper the price. Use to go thought that with "Marine" too. https://www.amazon.com/WATERWICH-Wir...s%2C213&sr=8-6
Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #19

Why didn’t you tell me that 2 years ago 🤣😂
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I am very happy with the F150, it has to be a 4x4 to be towed 4 down. Easy set up and tows very easy.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Why didn’t you tell me that 2 years ago ����
You forgot to ask. I just ordered a new digital model today. I was going to order it on Amazon, but it comes from China with a 2 week delivery. Went to China's Amazon, less money, two remote instead of one and all of the connection accessories. I saw this when I got the link off of Amazon yesterday, decided to upgrade. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...archweb201603_
Old 11-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #22

I tow a GMC truck now, so I know about all the advantages of a truck. The reason I’m thinking about going to a Ford F150 it’s because of the weight, the aluminum body on the Ford is much lighter. Any comments or feelings about that?
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
I tow a GMC truck now, so I know about all the advantages of a truck. The reason I’m thinking about going to a Ford F150 it’s because of the weight, the aluminum body on the Ford is much lighter. Any comments or feelings about that?
With the large diesel engines we are towing with, they can't tell any difference between steel and aluminum. A contractor friend of mine just went back to a steel body. Said if he looked wrong at his aluminum body, it dented. No personal experience, just that of a good friend.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #24

Welcome aboard. This forum is a great place for socialization and even greater place to learn and share your experience. I wish you all the best with your new adventures
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #25

What a coincidence, My Wife and I also purchase a Reatta XL 39T2 on July 25th. I hope your enjoying your Reatta as much as we are. Took a bit to get everything in order but worth it.
RandyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Chuck's right. The weight savings are too small to be noticeable.

One nice feature of aluminum is that it doesn't rust. Depending on where you live, that just may be enough to make up for all the ways that aluminum is a complete PITA.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra