Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #43
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox
I can't believe people went though the trouble to file on windows and not DEF sensors.

Per the NHTSA site, the vast majority of recalls are voluntarily issued by the manufacturer, not through an NHTSA investigation.

The HEHR window adhesive failure affected every type of RV built and introduced a risk to other drivers when the windows detached. So the affected population of defective windows is far, far larger than Spartan chassis motorhome's and the potential population of people affected by a window falling off an RV is also far larger.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Per the NHTSA site, the vast majority of recalls are voluntarily issued by the manufacturer, not through an NHTSA investigation.

The HEHR window adhesive failure affected every type of RV built and introduced a risk to other drivers when the windows detached. So the affected population of defective windows is far, far larger than Spartan chassis motorhome's and the potential population of people affected by a window falling off an RV is also far larger.

Ray
That makes sense with their reasoning. Not that those of us that have had failed DEF heads and easily fixed windows agree. But it is what it is. Thanks for bring that to light. I can see where it would be a CYA for the window manufacture before someone in a following vehicle is killed or seriously injured. If the owner did not comply with the recall, "not our fault." we issued a recall.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:41 AM   #45
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I have to say that is about the saddest attempt at excuse making I think I've ever seen. Basically Spartan is telling you its not their fault, its the supplier. And they want you to rest assured, confident in their plan after many months is to continue to rely on the supplier that provided the unreliable components to provide more maybe more-reliable parts as soon as THEIR unreliable vendors start shipping them more of the unreliable components that caused the problem to begin with-to fix the problem. What could possibly go wrong?!
And then, inexplicably, they insert information about "Parked Regeneration" which has absolutely nothing to do with the DEF sensor problem. So maybe the reason Spartan can't fix the DEF sensor problem is that they don't know how it works? That would explain a lot.

I had the check engine light turn on coming about 100 miles from home. I was in SW Oregon on the two lane coast highway. Not a good place to get stranded. I had a good friend with an aircraft hanger I knew had a lot of room in it about 50 miles from home. A phone call later I was pulling my 18 Cornerstone Y safely into the hanger and pulling up the codes. Sure enough, the three codes indicating the dreaded DEF failures were there. Drove home in the toad. The next day I called Spartan and emailed pictures of the codes. They checked which DEF unit was in my coach (they said there are two types) Luckily mine was the type they had stock on. They promptly sent it FED EXP and I have it now. A call to a road service guy I know who handles all the log trucks in the area lined up installation help. He has replaced many DEF units on the log trucks and may not have the capability of manipulating codes on the RV. As I am not familiar with the code system on the RVís I donít know if the codes have to be cleared somehow or will they automatically clear after the new install? I know I saw a post I canít find again where someone installed the replacement unit themself so possibly you donít need to go through the code resets. Any input would be appreciated.
By the way, I couldnít have asked for better help and response from Spartan. Very prompt and they said to send them the bill from the road service.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:31 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
I had the check engine light turn on coming about 100 miles from home. I was in SW Oregon on the two lane coast highway. Not a good place to get stranded. I had a good friend with an aircraft hanger I knew had a lot of room in it about 50 miles from home. A phone call later I was pulling my 18 Cornerstone Y safely into the hanger and pulling up the codes. Sure enough, the three codes indicating the dreaded DEF failures were there. Drove home in the toad. The next day I called Spartan and emailed pictures of the codes. They checked which DEF unit was in my coach (they said there are two types) Luckily mine was the type they had stock on. They promptly sent it FED EXP and I have it now. A call to a road service guy I know who handles all the log trucks in the area lined up installation help. He has replaced many DEF units on the log trucks and may not have the capability of manipulating codes on the RV. As I am not familiar with the code system on the RVís I donít know if the codes have to be cleared somehow or will they automatically clear after the new install? I know I saw a post I canít find again where someone installed the replacement unit themself so possibly you donít need to go through the code resets. Any input would be appreciated.
By the way, I couldnít have asked for better help and response from Spartan. Very prompt and they said to send them the bill from the road service.
To clear the codes without a code reader, restart the engine several times.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #47
GKW

Thanks Brobox. I will try that.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #48
GKW

Quote:
Thanks Brobox. I will try that.

And it worked. Third time did it. Thanks again. Looks like I need to buy a scanner.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
And it worked. Third time did it. Thanks again. Looks like I need to buy a scanner.
Thanks for letting others know that works. No need for a scanner now.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #50

Any update on the 2021 / 2022 Freightliner chassis DEF problems ? I'm holding off on buying a new coach hoping they can solve the problem. I really don't want to buy an older model and then trade it in when/ if the solution is close.
kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:15 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
DEF issues were/are primarily a Spartan chassis problem.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
DEF issues were/are primarily a Spartan chassis problem.
I knew that Spartan chassis' were having a much higher number of problems but I was under the impression that there were still many problems occurring on the Freightliner chassis' as well. Are you saying that most Freightliner chassis are not having many DEF problems ?
kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #53

The DEF head problem is on both FL and Spartan chassis. There are a number of items we as owners can do which will greatly cut down on DEF problems. They have been covered many times and that is what we are doing to lessen the chance off a DEF problem.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengardner View Post
Any update on the 2021 / 2022 Freightliner chassis DEF problems ? I'm holding off on buying a new coach hoping they can solve the problem. I really don't want to buy an older model and then trade it in when/ if the solution is close.

2022 Units on a Spartan chassis, according to Spartan are using a Gen 7 Def head. Spartan stated so far there havenít been any Gen 7 failures.
I hd the same concern buying my 2022 LA and called Spartan before taking delivery.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
2022 Units on a Spartan chassis, according to Spartan are using a Gen 7 Def head. Spartan stated so far there havenít been any Gen 7 failures.
I'm not sure that's an accurate statement.

According to Spartan's letter on the subject which you will find in the first post of this thread, Spartan states "This new sensor was launched for both installation in production units and for field service replacement. We have seen significant improvements in sensor reliability based on this design with almost zero field failures.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I'm not sure that's an accurate statement.

According to Spartan's letter on the subject which you will find in the first post of this thread, Spartan states "This new sensor was launched for both installation in production units and for field service replacement. We have seen significant improvements in sensor reliability based on this design with almost zero field failures.
Withalmost being the key word. I was also told that by Spartan On the Gen 6's. I hope for everyone's sake the Gen 7 does work, but, the previous 6 generation were also suppose to work.

Tags
spartan