RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #1

New windshield on 2019 Cornerstone

About 1,000 miles ago, I managed to get hit by a rock thrown by a truck in front of me which hit the windshield in the lower passenger corner. Dee and I heard the hit and explored all over to see if we could find the ding, and found nothing, but then the next morning or two, we discovered about a 12" crack in that lower left corner and then in a matter of a day or so, the crack ran an additional 12 inches or so. So, it was time to report it to insurance and get the benefits of a zero dollar deductible windshield replacement, which is being done today.

I was surprised to find that the window itself is about ~ $2,000 and the installation process was another roughly $2,000 process making this little rock problem about a $4,000 replacement. Didn't realize that this problem was going to set Safeco back that much money. Safeco tosses off glass coverage to SafeLite, but Safelite cannot handle things this big, so they hand it off to dealers (NIRVC) who in turn hands it off to a specialized glass installation company (G2 Auto Glass) who is geared up to deal with windshields this big and heavy. All in all only about a 90 minute job.

Just FYI

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #2

Gary, were on # 3, 1st on Entegra warranty and the rest on Nationwide. Glad it's not directly on my dime !
Old 09-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Wow! $4K is 50% more than my annual premium. I looked over my policy, Progressive, and don't see any exclusions or anything referring to what constitutes needing to replace the windshield. I've got about 5 stars that have been filled and two bulls eyes that haven't but none are in the drivers field of vision, and no cracks.

At what point will the insurance company ok a replacement?
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Wow! $4K is 50% more than my annual premium. I looked over my policy, Progressive, and don't see any exclusions or anything referring to what constitutes needing to replace the windshield. I've got about 5 stars that have been filled and two bulls eyes that haven't but none are in the drivers field of vision, and no cracks.

At what point will the insurance company ok a replacement?
2.5k for full coverage, including glass?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

I to have zero deductible at Progressive. I've had three chips or bullseyes repaired in the past couple of years and I was surprised when Safelite (sp?) told me that as per company policy, they would not be able to fill any more chips. The tech told me that three repairs on any windshield is the limit. Not real sure if that's true or not but that's what he told me. Anyway, next time will result in a new windshield.

$2000.00 for a 90 minute job seems a bit high... I know there is a risk of breaking it when you install it but if that's what you do for a living I would think you wouldn't break many...
Old 09-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjacob View Post
I to have zero deductible at Progressive. I've had three chips or bullseyes repaired in the past couple of years and I was surprised when Safelite (sp?) told me that as per company policy, they would not be able to fill any more chips. The tech told me that three repairs on any windshield is the limit. Not real sure if that's true or not but that's what he told me. Anyway, next time will result in a new windshield.

$2000.00 for a 90 minute job seems a bit high... I know there is a risk of breaking it when you install it but if that's what you do for a living I would think you wouldn't break many...

Gary

Thank God for good insurance.

Joe
FLOWERSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
About 1,000 miles ago, I managed to get hit by a rock thrown by a truck in front of me which hit the windshield in the lower passenger corner. Dee and I heard the hit and explored all over to see if we could find the ding, and found nothing, but then the next morning or two, we discovered about a 12" crack in that lower left corner and then in a matter of a day or so, the crack ran an additional 12 inches or so. So, it was time to report it to insurance and get the benefits of a zero dollar deductible windshield replacement, which is being done today.

I was surprised to find that the window itself is about ~ $2,000 and the installation process was another roughly $2,000 process making this little rock problem about a $4,000 replacement. Didn't realize that this problem was going to set Safeco back that much money. Safeco tosses off glass coverage to SafeLite, but Safelite cannot handle things this big, so they hand it off to dealers (NIRVC) who in turn hands it off to a specialized glass installation company (G2 Auto Glass) who is geared up to deal with windshields this big and heavy. All in all only about a 90 minute job.

Just FYI

Gary

The last time I looked at a Prevost, high up on the high end RVís, they were still using a double windshield. Should be a lot less money and time to replace. My first RV, a Holiday Rambler has a double windshield, and I never felt it reduced my field of vision.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
The last time I looked at a Prevost, high up on the high end RV’s, they were still using a double windshield. Should be a lot less money and time to replace. My first RV, a Holiday Rambler has a double windshield, and I never felt it reduced my field of vision.
Around this time last year, I had the opportunity to spend some extended one-on-one time with a knowledgeable sales associate for Liberty Coach, one of the major players in the Prevost-based RV business.

In response to some questions I was asking, he explained that owners of Prevost-based motorhomes benefit from the fact that the vast majority of Prevosts are sold to transit and tour bus companies, and a significant additional number of them are sold to entertainers, race car drivers, and others who use them for business rather than pleasure.

As you might expect, all such owners are highly intolerant of down time, so pretty much everything on a Prevost bus shell and underlying chassis is designed for quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive replacement. Including the two-piece windshield glass.

In other words, Prevost is more than capable of installing one-piece windshields in their coaches, but there is a reason they don't do so.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #9

Here is my guess. The installation fee includes the cost of shipping the new windshield from where-ever one happens to be located. The company they got the windshield from was a company called CoachGlass.com. They have 4 distribution centers..... Elkhart, somewhere in Florida, Phoenix, and , somewhere in Oregon. Mine came from Elkhart. So, windshield comes on a wooden pallet and fully enclosed in cardboard and with cushioning inside. I'll include some pictures. The carton cannot be stacked upon so it must ride on the floor with nothing on top. I would guess it costs a pile of money to ship it here from Elkhart.

In talking with the installers, I learned that the old window are simply thrown into the dumpster and not recycled. I did not know that the windows have a piece of plastic laminated inside the two layers of glass that makes it difficult to recycle the glass (I think you just dump old broken glass into the molten glass (its called cullet) and anything other than the glass simply burns off, (at least that is the way you make glass bottles (one of my earliest jobs)). I think that it is just cheaper to not worry about recycling the glass. Anyhow, the process was a two man process. After install, I was told not to move the coach for 24 hour to let the sealing compound set up so we are waiting for our 24 hours.

Gary
Old 09-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #10

Pictures are self explanatory.... the last one shows the rigging if you want to make this a DIY project.

Only removed both wipers.... mirror stayed placed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornerstone Windshield NIRVC #1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	302286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornerstone Windshield NIRVC #2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	302287  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornerstone Windshield NIRVC #3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	302288  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
2.5k for full coverage, including glass?
It's actully $2609 including glass and total loss replacement for the first five years. It has gone up a couple hundred a year, and the blowout I had earlier this year cost them $18,000 in damage (tire not covered though) so I'll be curious to see what the increase is next year. Maybe with the pandemic and less claims it won't be too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjacob View Post

I paid for the repairs myself, less than $100, I caught a mobile guy at the end of the day working on another coach and he repaired three of them for $35! The other two were around $60. Didn't contact insurance though, good information to know.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=Gary.Jones;5454790]Here is my guess. The installation fee includes the cost of shipping the new windshield from where-ever one happens to be located. The company they got the windshield from was a company called CoachGlass.com. They have 4 distribution centers..... Elkhart, somewhere in Florida, Phoenix, and , somewhere in Oregon. Mine came from Elkhart. So, windshield comes on a wooden pallet and fully enclosed in cardboard and with cushioning inside. I'll include some pictures. The carton cannot be stacked upon so it must ride on the floor with nothing on top. I would guess it costs a pile of money to ship it here from Elkhart.

That makes sense. The last windshield I had replaced was on a 2003 Alegro Bus, just the drivers side (it was a split windshield), in 2016. It was $1900, same windshield in 2010 was $1050. Those were the good old days
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Currently in the PNW, heading south and back to TX in October.
I had mine replaced by Coach Glass in Coburg, OR. They had 79 in stock, because they import them from Turkey and supply Entegra with windshields. It took their tech one morning to replace the windshield. My insurance covered it all and I have no idea what it costs.

Others on this forum said to insist on having the rubber seal replaced. The tech said BS, put new seals in and you have to weatherproof everything all over again. You are more likely by far to have windshield water leaks if you replace the seals. I took his word for it and have been in major downpours with no leaks.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

Just FYI

Gary

Had to replace my CS WS after 2017 Big Sky hoopla! Got a rock pop right in the middle of the WS between wipers and bottom. A fool in a VW passed us in a construction zone going down a mountain. Same kind of rocks that beat up the coach and toad on the way up also in Idahoer!

My service people replaced the WS without leaving the building and it cost less than $3,000. Not NIRVC but head cheese there knows where it is! Sounds like you got hosed!
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windshield