Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
It's a fair point. My wife's aunt does this in her S&B. And it is unquestionably the best thing you can do if you are interested in keeping your black tank (or sewer pipes) clear.

But it's also fair to say that most of us got these coaches to be, as Entegra put it in one of their welcome letters, "luxury condos on wheels." My in-laws notwithstanding, I can't imagine there are many luxury condos where used TP goes anywhere but down the toilet.
I don't have a "Luxury Coach". I do have a wife who takes pride in the care of what we do have though. In my wildest moment I wouldn't even suggest we start putting our toilet paper in a basket next to the toilet.
With proper care and some patience keeping the waste tanks operating properly on any RV is easy.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 05:55 AM   #58
T12

Err on the side of caution

One of the reasons I got on this blog site is that I learned a long time ago that I don't know everything. One person on this site said to check Google earth and look at the park where you are going to avoid be next to a railroad as happened to them. What a great idea! When my wife's eyes are watering and we have to go for a really long walk, I'm sure she wants it all to go in the black tank. If it goes down the drain it will be broken down biologically or go through a waste treatment plant where it could end up as fertilizer. There's enough "stuff" in the landfills already. As for me I think I'll just leave the valves closed and empty them occasionally.
T12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #59

Smart husband....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #60

WalMart...sporting goods section 👌 . When on FHU, we keep valves closed and dump daily. When we pull out, each tank gets a bottle of the WalMart generic version of Pine Sol...about 95 cents per bottle. Never a problem.

Question for all....I simply don’t understand the value of a macerator system attached to the sewer drain. Yes, I do understand how a macerator functions but it seems to me to be adding a lot of needless complexity to dumping the waste tanks on an RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D17B9EAF-4FB4-41DB-97BD-7B86DC2B7C5C.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	262718  
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
WalMart...sporting goods section 👌 . When on FHU, we keep valves closed and dump daily. When we pull out, each tank gets a bottle of the WalMart generic version of Pine Sol...about 95 cents per bottle. Never a problem.

Question for all....I simply don’t understand the value of a macerator system attached to the sewer drain. Yes, I do understand how a macerator functions but it seems to me to be adding a lot of needless complexity to dumping the waste tanks on an RV.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:35 AM   #62

Well, for one thing, you don't have to worry about all those stupid slow gravity flow guizmo bridges that you see the stinky slinky people fooling around with. The Sanicon / macerator system pumps everything up hills, around corners.... just lay the hose on the ground, put the end in the sewer pipe, and get about emptying by pushing a button.

Now that the Sanicon hose can be removed easily from a CAM-LOCK fitting in the back of the integral storage box, it is at least 300% easier to dump tanks than it used to be.... no sections of rain guttering to make the descent gradual along with just the right wood supports, no little accordion steps coming down so that everything is perfect......., no mess and no fuss.... well worth the extra couple a thousand dollars --

Gary
Old 10-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #63

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
You don't have to put the sewer hose on stands or carefully route it around rocks or other obstacles. Just pull out the big hose, stick the end into the sewer drain, and you're done.

It's not a necessity at all. In my experience, it is nice to have in a way that I did not expect before getting this coach, and that I cannot easily explain. The best I can do is say that it goes into the sum total of all the little conveniences that come with our MH. Taken individually, they don't matter much. I could deal with the loss of any of them and not be upset. But collectively, they make a really big difference.

That's all just my opinion, though. This is very much a subjective thing. I know it's silly.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #64

• You still have to handle a sewer hose correct? I get it that it is smaller but you are still handling a sewer hose.

• You still need to connect that sewer hose at both the RV end AND at the sewer fitting of the camping spot correct?

• You still have to remove the cap from the waste fitting at the campground to install your reduced hose size adapter correct?

• You still have to coil it up and stow it away when finished correct?

• I don’t see this getting you away from wearing rubber gloves and washing hands for sanitary purposes whether it be a macerator hose or a traditional “stinky slinky”

• For those campgrounds with only a sewer dump station…you still end up walking around in the inevitable “wet spots” where the last guy finished up right?

• You still have to purge/drain that hose of any leftover waste when you finish dumping correct? It doesn’t magically self clean

• A macerator reduces what started out as a 3” orifice and necks it down to something on the order of 1” correct?

• I can’t recall staying anywhere that the run from my RV to the waste fitting was more than 10’.

• I am certain I have never seen a campground/RV park that required an uphill run from the RV to the waste fitting

• Pulling a blade valve takes seconds…replacing a blade valve takes $15.00 and 15 minutes

• I have an aluminum accordion type ramp for the waste line…takes seconds to install

Sorry but I still don’t see the “value added”
Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my coach at least, the macerator hose is closer in size to a regular sewer hose. It's definitely much bigger than 1" diameter. It's like those collapsible garden hoses, but bigger. It balloons up when you turn the macerator on. It's also really flexible in its collapsed state and stores pretty easily. It's always connected on the RV side. I don't need to manually evacuate the hose once I'm done dumping. The end of the hose that goes into the CG sewer pipe has a head on it; it looks exactly like a detachable shower head, but bigger. This "sewer shower head" has a cover that I just screw on tightly. It keeps any residual grey waste inside, but honestly, there hardly ever is any. I do wear gloves because accidents happen, but so far I haven't needed them.

Again, it's not at all a necessity. I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy (or not buy) a coach based on whether it has a macerator dump system. Since I was buying the el cheapo Entegra, I wasn't expecting mine to have one. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that it did -- and I didn't make that discovery until the walkthrough, after I'd bought it.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #66

You are just looking at all the negatives...
Gary Jones covered it well, another positive is if you pull up to a friends house you can run the hose through the bathroom window and into the toilet and pump it all out....
Ron & Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Motorhead-54

Great points.
Purchased ours used actually right at 2 years old. Guess it was never a 300-400K vehicle. Fancy is as fancy was is the key word. It was fancy to us.
But that black stuff runs down hill just fine. I can pretty well tell you what most parts are and how they work. And my rubber gloves keep my hands clean and I have a bottle of soap in the water bay for when finished. Take off my boots and off I go.
Now my glory is not cruising a half million $$$ down the road mine is still in my pocket and have most all I want and can still get the rest except for maybe another 65 yrs. And I say Maybe. This world is coming quite interesting.
Had a boss when I was a young kid with kids, we were talking one day and he told me "you know how all those people that have all that money have it? They Keep it." best advise I ever had. So keep all that fancy stuff and please clean up the area around the water fill and dump station as seems like alot of the fancy ones are sometimes the worst to follow. Hey and that Clorox is get-tn pricey.
In closing Thanks Joe.
Oh and I appreciate that advice about all those people that go down on 38th St.and are never seen again. Second good word of advice.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Peri View Post
Gary Jones covered it well, another positive is if you pull up to a friends house you can run the hose through the bathroom window and into the toilet and pump it all out....
Yes Sir, you are correct when you said “ALL the negatives”. Some functions simply don’t warrant the added complexity, cost and reliability hit IMHO. This thought came to me this past weekend while I was replacing an 8 year old weeping $15.00 black tank valve. K.I.S.S.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Peri View Post
Run the hose through a friend's bathroom window? How many Christmas lists have you been eliminated from?
Lynn
Old 10-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #70

Motorhead

Well, then just be supremely happy that you don't have one of these fancy Sanicons systems... since you see no need. Good for you!

I will be saddled with mine for the time that I own this coach. So far.... I like it a lot! To each his own.

Gary

Tags
newbie, tank