Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2022, 08:06 PM   #43

You know your driving stamina, it would be too much for me. I was in that area late last August. Keep a weather app on phone. During my trip there, several bad storms that came up within a few miles of us. We were not ever hit but came close. Hit very strong winds going from Sioux City to Rapid City that slowed us down a bit. Ran into strong winds in some of the hilly country Custer and BH. Loved Spearfish. Use a good weather app.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 09:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
I am a complete newbie to Motorhome route planning. I am planning a big trip from South Louisiana to Spearfish South Dakota for August of 2023. I figure 3 days to get up there with a little over 500 miles per day. Will stay the first night in Denton Texas and the second night in Geneva Nebraska. Up to that point it is almost all Interstate travel with a little bit of US Highway travel. From Geneva Nebraska to Spearfish gets a little trickier looking at the maps with some state highways and such. I don’t want to just rely on the RM nav system in the coach. It is a 2015 Cornerstone bought used by me just several days ago so I have no idea how updated it is. Is there an app or something I can use to back up the RM to make sure I do not run into a clearance or weight issue?
Garmin has some good units. I purchased the RV780 and it's worked well for me.
Recently had a little "glitch" after an update, Garmin Support was very responsive and helped me with a corrected update. I like that my unit has campgrounds and has length and height inputs for my rig.
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Kilt View Post
You are making me jealous, haven't been to SD, Spearfish area, in years. I hope you have a great trip and find the right roads and accommodations. Spearfish Canyon Highway (on a Harley) is a great ride, have fun and be safe. I'd like to get out there about two weeks (16th or 23rd 0f July) before Sturgis Weeks starts, everywhere will be plenty stocked and there will be a lot less heavy bike traffic down through Deadwood. There are no bad rides to a place like that
Yep we will be in Spearfish for the week before the Sturgis rally. I have done the actual rally before so we will beat some of the crowd this trip. Last time I was up there I had a Harley Road King. This time we will be bringing our Indian Chieftains with us in an enclosed trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	612F28AF-B491-4D96-908F-B48AF0958889.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	354873  
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:29 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Awesome you guys are smarter than the average bear, I hope you have an amazing time, be safe and keep the "shiny side up". Thanks for posting pics, love your ride. If you don't mind, please keep me posted with your trip success. I have driven my motorhome over 500 miles in a day more than once or twice, it's very doable if you allow for the extra time and plan for a long day, you'll do just fine, just eat good and stay hydrated. Safe travels
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:51 AM   #47

The best travel planner

I've been using RV trip wizard there is simply no better tool it tells you everything mileage ratings planning best money I've ever spent on anything. You can set all the defaults for height of your vehicle all kinds of stuff it's just really great
OCPoopdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #48

Whatever software/app you use, add one hour to the total time estimate given. Fuel stops, lunch break, rest stops all eat up time.
We will fill up somewhere near our destination regardless of length of stay. 1) makes for getting rolling in the morning easier and 2) travel with full fresh, empty grey/black. You never know………
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I am a complete newbie to Motorhome route planning. I am planning a big trip from South Louisiana to Spearfish South Dakota for August of 2023. I figure 3 days to get up there with a little over 500 miles per day. Will stay the first night in Denton Texas and the second night in Geneva Nebraska. Up to that point it is almost all Interstate travel with a little bit of US Highway travel. From Geneva Nebraska to Spearfish gets a little trickier looking at the maps with some state highways and such. I don’t want to just rely on the RM nav system in the coach. It is a 2015 Cornerstone bought used by me just several days ago so I have no idea how updated it is. Is there an app or something I can use to back up the RM to make sure I do not run into a clearance or weight issue?
Here is a way from Streets & Trips. Please ignore the map title. I used another route and forgot to edit the map name. Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect.
Happy trails.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Orleans to Spearfish.pdf (2.31 MB, 10 views)
Old 01-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #50

FWIW: We use Googlemaps and more recently RVParky for planning our trips, routes, stops etc. Love the ability to "Find an overnight" as well write notes to attach to any stop. Find it ultra easy to use. Just been trying Trip Wizard on the freebie test drive just recently but ????? Early days so jury still out on the latter.

Personally I've yet to embrace lots of the apps etc many use, possibly due to being Canadian and the cost of roaming data etc but maybe in due course we will start to more so. Do use a weather app daily check though.

Happy Travels. SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #51

I don't want to be a killjoy, but many of the folks I've met, who have the RM in their units, WILL NOT USE/TRUST THEM!!! Mine, in my 2017 Entegra (I have a Garmin on the dash which I trust), has taken me to a couple bridges that were 3,5, & 7 tons!!! Also, it took me to a covered bridge that cars were tight crossing!!!! I update mine continually and that doesn't help. Lately, when on the road, following the Garmin, the RM (I do enter data just for ?????) keeps trying to take we a different route then the Garmin even though both are set to fastest route. Good luck, have fun, and cross check things with Google Maps on your phone.
mareca12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #52

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies folks. I will definitely pick up a trucker atlas and checkout the Rvparky app. The 500 miles per day may wind up being too much but I have been doing most of my traveling on a motorcycle for years now and have always done around 500 per day. A few years ago I went from the house to Custer South Dakota in 2 days on my Harley Road King, 900 miles the first day and 650 miles the next. As far as scenic routes that is why we plan on trailering our 2 motorcycles. The plan is to travel the big fast route roads in the coach. Then use the coach as base amp to branch out on the scenic roads for day trips on the bikes. Then take a rest day or 2 at the campground then do another 500 miles.
Camping world has $100 off the Garmin unit according to the Email I received today. Have fun up there in S Dakota, we spent 10 days, beautiful state, don't miss the badlands and Mt Rushmore. If by chance you're retired military, Ellsworth AFB has great RV park.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Camping World does have $100. off Gamin GPS's, however they do not have the 890. They do have the 7 inch screen, but not the larger 8 inch.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #54

RV Trip Wizard was great when I was a child, but now that I have grown up, there is no replacement for furkot! It's not only cheaper, but does a phenomenal job of time planning during the day. The only two things that RVTW does better is budget planning and campground reviews, both of which we find almost unnecessary or free in other places.

RV Parky does a great job of finding low bridges.

I'm in the process of replacing my Navion 5000 head unit with one of the generic 10" Android head units that you find on Amazon. Part of that process is dealing with the side cameras when you only have one reverse camera input.

Hope that helps. I'll never buy a dedicated function GPS system with the current technology out there.

Shawn
Grizzly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:17 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly73 View Post
RV Trip Wizard was great when I was a child, but now that I have grown up, there is no replacement for furkot! It's not only cheaper, but does a phenomenal job of time planning during the day. The only two things that RVTW does better is budget planning and campground reviews, both of which we find almost unnecessary or free in other places.

RV Parky does a great job of finding low bridges.

I'm in the process of replacing my Navion 5000 head unit with one of the generic 10" Android head units that you find on Amazon. Part of that process is dealing with the side cameras when you only have one reverse camera input.

Hope that helps. I'll never buy a dedicated function GPS system with the current technology out there.

Shawn
I looked at one of the Android radios at Walmart...I was impressed at what all they can do for only $150. Any app that can be run on a cell phone can be run on the 10 inch screen mounted in the dash. RV Parky, WAZE, etc.
There was a post here where one of the Entegra owners purchase a stand alone camera screen that mounted in the dash and was able to get the adapter plugs from Firyfly, our dash info center manufacture. Might want to search for it, it was an impressive setup that was less then replacing the failed GPS with the Android Radio

To be honest, I would much rather that technology be installed in the new coaches versus what they are installing now. Easy to upgrade at any time from Amazon or Walmart. We cannot do that with our current dash units. All of the Rand McNally units currently installed are now outdated and RM may have left the building. It's a little discouraging that I have brand new 21 coach with an outdated NAV system with 3 year old maps.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #56

Geneva NE to Spearfish

I drove a mini motor home to Sturgis from St. Louis a couple of years ago pulling an open trailer with my HD Ultra on it. Drove about 600 miles a day with no problems.

From Geneva, I would recommend going north to I-80 then west to Grand Island. Take NE-2 out of Grand Island to Alliance NE. Just outside Alliance is a required stop (for a car guy, anyway) at Carhenge. A local farmer reproduced Stonehenge using old cars. There are also other auto sculptures on the property, and as I recall, it was free.

My overnight stop getting there was at Victoria Springs State Recreation Area just outside Merna and Anselmo NE. I ran from there to Carhenge, then north on US 385 up to Maverick Junction SD then took SD 79 on up to I-90 at Rapid City. I think I pulled into Sturgis in mid-afternoon, so the extra at the beginning and end would put you in Spearfish around dinner time, give or take a bit.

If you're open to the extra drive time on day 2, consider going on in to Victoria Springs. It's an inexpensive stop and most of the sites are HUGE! It's also pretty easy access.
terrym86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, newbie, route