Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Nexus 102P Code Reader Would NOT Clear DEF Codes

I am sorry to report that the Nexus 102P code reader will not clear active DEF codes. It did clear the inactive code of 1761 which is the DEF gauge level, but not the active 3031 and 3364 codes until the DEF head sensor is replaced.
Photo #1 The Nexus will read both of the active codes which are 3031 and 3364

Photo#2 are the choices to clear the codes, I tried both.

Photo #3 is the message that appear after trying to clear the codes.

What I read on the internet that code readers will not clear active EPA type codes was correct. I tried a chassis reboots and still the same results. Carrying a code reader to override the codes before going into de-rate will not work. Wish I had better news. Will it clear the codes after the DEF sensor is replaced? that I don't know. I have already returned the Nexus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-23 12.30.08.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	309064   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-23 12.30.43.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	309065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-23 12.32.04.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	309066  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #2

Thanks for reporting Chuck, I now know for sure I have an expensive paperweight not even opened.
JGilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

Chuck, I suspect that even if you were able to find a code reader that would clear active codes, they would come right back as soon as or shortly after the next time you fired the engine.

For what it may be worth, I ran into that with one of our cars. It had a couple of trouble codes that turned out to be related to a leak in the air intake portion of the fuel system, causing one or more cylinders to run overly lean on start-up.

In an effort to pass a required annual emissions inspection, I bought a code reader capable of clearing the codes, thinking I could clear the codes, drive straight to the testing station (about five miles from our house), and pass the test. No such luck, the codes came back very shortly after starting the engine.

Once I resolved the air leak issue, I was able to clear the codes and they didn't return.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Joe you never know when the reader will come in handy for something else. At least we now know, we can't depend on the reader to get us any further than what Spartan has programed in.

Larry, I was half way expecting that and was going to drive the coach at least 20 miles if the codes did clear. I mainly wanted to see if it would get some one out of a bad situation along side of the road. Sorry to say, it will not, not even close.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Chuck,
Thanks for the update. Your research is the exact reason I bought both a code reader AND spare def head. The install is pretty straight forward, DIY. Once the head is replaced I should be able to clear the codes. I refuse to be stranded during our dream trip!
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #6

Looks like I have a fancy paperweight also. I bought it before our trip to Phoenix for the races. I did travel with a sense of security even if it was false ! LOL
Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #7

Most code readers will not clear a code if the problem is active. I carry the scanner and a def head. My plan is to replace the def head then clear codes and proceed with my trip.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Most code readers will not clear a code if the problem is active. I carry the scanner and a def head. My plan is to replace the def head then clear codes and proceed with my trip.
Ditto
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:30 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
The Nexus "should" clear the codes once the DEF head is replaced, the Nexus does say to "try again" after fixing it. I still don't know if it has the ability to clear EPA codes, but it did clear an inactive DEF gauge code. My gauge went red and to 0 the first time I started it with the bad sensor. Carrying both the sensor and Nexus can't hurt and it beats the alternative.

Others were carrying the Nexus thinking it would clear the DEF codes with a bad DEF sensor and they could continue down the road. That myth was put to bed with a non working DEF sensor yesterday. The sensor will have to be changed first.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The Nexus "should" clear the codes once the DEF head is replaced, the Nexus does say to "try again" after fixing it. I still don't know if it has the ability to clear EPA codes, but it did clear an inactive DEF gauge code. My gauge went red and to 0 the first time I started it with the bad sensor. Carrying both the sensor and Nexus can't hurt and it beats the alternative.

Others were carrying the Nexus thinking it would clear the DEF codes with a bad DEF sensor and they could continue down the road. That myth was put to bed with a non working DEF sensor yesterday. The sensor will have to be changed first.
It has the ability to clear codes as long as the problem is no longer present. It won’t matter what type of code was set.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #11

There are other code readers that come up when searching for the Nexus 102p, ie Nexas NL102, FCAR F507 and others. Do you think based on your research these would do the same, not clear an active code?
mlacute1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlacute1 View Post
There are other code readers that come up when searching for the Nexus 102p, ie Nexas NL102, FCAR F507 and others. Do you think based on your research these would do the same, not clear an active code?
From what I found on the trucker sites, EPA codes cannot be cleared until the problem is corrected. If the code is a regen related, the readers are able to do a forced regeneration. If it is a EPA required repair the readers cannot clear the codes until the problem is corrected. I was not able to find any codes reader that was said to be able to clear EPA codes. They might be out there, but nobody was admitting it openly.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #13

Chuck, these guys might know the answer to that question:

https://www.diesellaptops.com/pages/...diesel-laptops

They also sell handheld code readers, including one with their own brand name:

https://www.diesellaptops.com/collections/handheld

https://www.diesellaptops.com/collec...ool-with-regen
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:56 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Larry, I made the test on a scanner where I found out what others were saying on the internet. There might be a "professional" grade scanners that can do it, but it is not made public. Maybe by law they cannot say "will clear EPA codes". I have my appointment with Cummins today where this question is going to be asked. However they may not divulge the answer either.

Today starts the research day on the Gen 6 DEF sensors.