Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2022, 07:19 AM   #1

No start Generator from Dash/VT...

I've been having an intermittent starting issue w/the Generator since leaving Mi. on 10.3.2022, when using the V/T/Dash control it would not start, after numerous attempts we were able to start it on a number of occasions throughout our travels though. We had a stretch of ~ 3 days that it started correctly from inside the Coach. Last night we pulled into C/Barrel, (Pooler Ga.) and could not get it started from inside. Voltages were both (Chassis 12.9 // House 12.9) The Service code when pulled was 32 - "Low cranking speed", in fact, when attempting to start inside there is NO engine cranking. Sooooooo... I opened up the front Gen. cover outside reached in, pushed the start switch on the Unit itself and it started right up! This morning, again, no start from inside the Coach, (Chassis 13.1 / House 12.4) going outside using the Unit switch it started? I had called Cummins thinking it was an issue w/the Gen. but now I'm thinking it may be an internal Coach issue, called Entegra, they weren't able to help much as their recommendations were standard responses. I did pull the dash panel checking the wires to the Gen. switch, everything looked/felt secure, inadvertently shut the Gen. down by hitting the switch, but immediately started it back up using the dash switch, although I'm wondering if the switch could be going bad? I did not pull the V/T panel as I am reluctant to start pulling things apart that may not have been a problem.
Unit was serviced 6.2022 @ a Cummins Coach Care facility, connections
(+/-) on the rear of the Unit are clean and tight, coolant is good, oil is good.

I apologize for the long post, as I seem to be in a bit of a quandary at this point.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanx
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2022, 07:39 AM   #2

John

Dont you also have a generator start button right on the first panel of the Vegatouch wall control panel? I have two ways to start the genny on my coach. 1 = on the video panel usually showing the GPS or other video/audio functions and 2= on the Vegatouch panel right outside the mid bath door on my 45B chassis. I would think you would have that also. Now, when you say you cant get it to start from inside, I assume you are trying only the dash display. Correct?

Now, on my coach, when anything does not work correctly that has anything to do with the Vegatouch system, the first thing I do is try a 12 volt reboot of the whole system. I kill the 12 volt system with the switch right inside the main door (below/beside the passenger seat) and see if just rebooting the Vegatouch system is enough to cure the problem. Have you done that? Shut off the 12 volts for 30 seconds and then turn it back on. I make a bee-line for the Vegatouch panel and watch the reboot process as it goes through its various stages.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The plug on the left side of the generator probably needs to be cleaned and weather proofed. That plug is the remote start plug, they are not weather resistant and corrode very easy. Clean the inside of the plug and tape it including the exposed wire with a weatherproof tape. Photo shows how exposed the wires are for water to run down and corrode the pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180811_092126.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	378453  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:53 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I have two ways to start the genny on my coach. 1 = on the video panel usually showing the GPS or other video/audio functions and 2= on the Vegatouch panel right outside the mid bath door on my 44B chassis.
On my '18 Anthem, there's one additional generator start option from inside the coach, a generator start rocker switch (similar to the one on the generator) in the panel over the entry door.

If neither the Xite panel nor the VegaTouch would work to start the generator, I think I'd try the switch over the entry door. I'm not sure if that uses the same circuit logic as the Xite and VegaTouch or if it's separate.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #5

Thanx for the responses guys, we’ll be checking into Creek Fire RV Park this afternoon for the week so I’ll be able to troubleshoot further.
Gary, those failed attempts included using the V/T.
Stu, I don’t think I have that switch above the door but I will check.
Chuck, I’m hoping your suggestion is the game winner!

Thanx again for the responses, I will keep you posted.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post
Stu, I don’t think I have that switch above the door but I will check.
Chuck, I’m hoping your suggestion is the game winner!
John, on my '18, the rocker switch is adjacent to the manual override switches for the heat pumps and near the OTA antenna control panel. I do believe that it's independent of the Xite/VegaTouch system and uses the same wiring connection that Chuck references in his post.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #7

Some pictures to clarify things...

Above my door there are no additional Gen. switches, mine is on the dash panel (green circle)
It looks as though I have 2 plugs that I may want to take apart, clean and
re-tape to minimize water intrusion going forward, possibly a bit of dielectric grease while I'm in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Above door....jpg
Views:	20
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	378456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen start switch....jpg
Views:	26
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	378457  

Name:	Plugs for generator.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	378458  
Old 10-11-2022, 09:14 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post
Some pictures to clarify things...

Above my door there are no additional Gen. switches, mine is on the dash panel (green circle)

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...7&d=1665499948
Thanks for the photos, John. Indeed, on my '18 Anthem, that switch is above the entry door. Just a guess, on my part, but, I think that switch may bypass the Xite/VegaTouch circuitry to start/stop the generator.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The plug with the green and yellow wires is the remote start plug. Why they do not use a waterproof plug in that location that gets all of the road spray from wet roads does not make sense. After the experience with my Classic, I now tape the plug when I bring a new coach home, with rescue tape.
Also reason #47 I don't drive in heavy rain anymore. When mine acted up, we had been driving in heavy rain and decided the Walmart ahead was good enough. Sure enough the plug was wet and I had to go out in pouring rain, manually open the old style generator compartment to start the generator. On the delivery of my 19 I taped that plug before leaving NIRVC and the 21 as soon as I got home. That is one lesson I really learned the hard way.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The plug on the left side of the generator probably needs to be cleaned and weather proofed. That plug is the remote start plug, they are not weather resistant and corrode very easy. Clean the inside of the plug and tape it including the exposed wire with a weatherproof tape. Photo shows how exposed the wires are for water to run down and corrode the pins.

This is probably the most likely culprit as it is the communication harness from the generator to the coach. It is a known problem. Spray it out with some Electra clean and then use some dielectric grease on the pins.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #11

Brobox is correct. That connector is where you need to be checking. Make sure all pins are seated properly and they don't have any corrosion on them.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
With the rocker switch are you pushing the bottom first to prime until light stops flashing, the pin pushing the top?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #13

Jerry,

Based on the Cummins "Operator Manual" - HDKCB, Pages 22-23 Section 4.3.2 Priming and Section 4.3.3 Starting, it seems to indicate pressing "STOP" to prime after a fuel filter change and/or after running out of fuel, whereas, normal starting procedure would be to press the "START" only and the Unit should start. This had been the case when I opened the front access area and manually pressed the "START" switch subsequently starting the Unit with no issue, as had been the case prior to this issue beginning. I'm hoping that Chuck, Bobby and Jim J's solution will be the answer. I will be cleaning and checking the wiring tomorrow and will post the results.
Thanx for the response though!
Old 10-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the generator fail to start from inside the coach on my 17 Cornerstone. It was right after driving through hours of rain. The next day it started fine and I never had the issue again. I suspect the plug next to the generator was wet.

On my 22 I can start the generator from the VT, the. VT Dash control panel, or the switch in the panel above the main door.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, generator, no start