Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Nominal AquaHot Operation

My last coach was a 2001 Monaco Dynasty tag equipped with the best AquaHot diesel model they had to offer at the time (not sure of the model). If in an RV park, I generally keep the AC element to the AquaHot on all the time. If DW and I were both going to shower, I would turn on the diesel AquaHot (AH) burner 10 minutes before, it would fire and burn throughout the showers and run for a few minutes after the showers ended and then shut down. This coach ( 2015 Anthem) is equipped with an AH 450D. I used it for a month while learning the coach in S. Texas this past February. Didn’t pay much attention to it.

Just before starting this trip, noticed the diesel burner part of the AH was not working. Also noticed that I had a pump 3 (stir pump) with a red LED fault code. After talking to AH, they graciously decided to replace all four pumps and gave me a new nozzle. Spent yesterday with the AH certified tech replacing the clogged nozzle and four pumps. By the way, there was no visible problem with the old nozzle (6 months old) and showed no sediment or problem so appeared to be some internal issue with the nozzle), I am trying to understand how a new AH is intended to work. I turn on the burner before a shower with the AC element already on, and nothing happens. I took my shower and still no ignition from the AH before or during the shower. Then DW took shower, and midway through her shower, the burner started and ignited. She had good hot water throughout. Now on the Dynasty, the burner would have ignited earlier and stayed on longer to recoup the hot water.

Now, are these new modern AHs much more interactive and much more reactive to instantaneous needs, coming only on when a certain temp is reached and staying on only fairly short periods of time after it ignites.? What is typical? Thanks in advance!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

I think the newer AquaHot systems have larger electric elements. DW and myself rarely need to use the diesel burner except in cold weather where the incoming ground water is cold.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

just

leave the switch on
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

Nominal AquaHot Operation

Somewhat agree, you are better off leaving on as compared to rare use. They are like diesel generators or your diesel coach engine, they need and will give less trouble with regular exercise. You are actually taking better care of them and less maintenance, especially with the Aqua-hot with very regular use. All JMHO 🚌🚓

2016 Cornerstone 45B on order
Formerly 2011 & 2013 Anthems
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 08-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #5

Gary

We were told to leave the diesel switch on at all times. Hot water on demand. I can hear the diesel burner light off several times a day. It never stays on longer than a few minutes, but you do have to watch placement of power, water and sewage hoses because the exhaust is hot.

Dan
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Our stir pump for the hot water just stared making twice as much noise as it had before. First thing I checked was the boiler fluid, it is full. Sounds like it might be one of the new pumps making the noise.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I turn mine on at night and then off after showers in the morning. Where I am, my sewer hose gets hooked up too close to the aqua hot exhaust pipe. I can't leave my hose hooked up - so this works for me so far. Hope I'm not hurting it turning it off every day.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Both the electric element and diesel burner heat the boiler and are controlled by a thermostatic switch in the boiler tank. Whenever heat is needed or hot water is required the hot antifreeze in the boiler provides the heat. If the boiler antifreeze is already hot, the burner or electric element will not kick in. Once the boiler antifreeze cools down a bit to the point where it trips the thermostat switch the burner and/or electric element will kick in to bring the boiler back up to heat.

In the case of your shower, once the electric element has the boiler nice and hot you can begin your shower without6 hearing the diesel burner kick in. Once the boiler cools down enough the burner will kick in and then kick out again once the boiler antifreeze tripped the thermostat switch. That time frame all depends on how hot your shower is and how much water you are using.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I turn mine on at night and then off after showers in the morning. Where I am, my sewer hose gets hooked up too close to the aqua hot exhaust pipe. I can't leave my hose hooked up - so this works for me so far. Hope I'm not hurting it turning it off every day.
Don't think that you are hurting anything at all. I turn my diesel burner on when we need hot water or heat as the summer campground we are in has us pay for the electric which can add up fast when the electric element is on all the time.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Don't think that you are hurting anything at all. I turn my diesel burner on when we need hot water or heat as the summer campground we are in has us pay for the electric which can add up fast when the electric element is on all the time.

Thanks! Feel better now :-)
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #11

I have two questions please . Does the burner have to be on for basement heat?
Secondly in cold weather do I dare leave the burner on when we leave for three days or will the electric only supply enough heat to keep coach from freezing?
Thanks
Jim Thompson
2014 Anthem DEQ
F150 Toad
Texas Jim 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Jim 45 View Post
I have two questions please . Does the burner have to be on for basement heat?
Secondly in cold weather do I dare leave the burner on when we leave for three days or will the electric only supply enough heat to keep coach from freezing?
Thanks
Jim Thompson
2014 Anthem DEQ
F150 Toad
Jim,

For the basement heat to work you will need at least the electric element turned on (as well as the basement thermostat) and if the coach is in storage for those 3 days it will need plugging in. Adding in the diesel burner to the mix will keep any temp you want.

In freezing temps. the electric element may or may not keep everything from freezing in the basement. One would have to experiment with setting the basement at 40F and see what the electric only element will give you. Perhaps someone will chime in with their experience of short term storage and freezing temperatures.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote