Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #15

You mean you aren't supposed to have to stomp the release levers to unhook...????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bungee cord around the levers. Swing the front tires side to side. The bungee will pull down the levers when pressure drops away.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
You mean you aren't supposed to have to stomp the release levers to unhook...????
Kinda takes all the fun out of it when you no longer have to do that...
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #18

Vince:

Now, that is brilliance !!!! Gonna give that a try.... (sometimes I hurt the soles of my feet!!!)

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #19

Nothing more than 4 years experience with a Blue Ox Aventa LX and happy with it but have had binding issues mainly related to how I have stopped to disconnect (no problems when straight and level, or at least with minimum turn and bank)
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #20

WOW! Someone actually makes a tow bar that DOESN'T bind? I'm getting good with my rubber mallet and 1/2" diamiter 1' long metal bar used to knock the pins out.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Demco Dominator binding has occurred only when we stop on enough of a hill the gravity is either pulling or (and this is much more dangerous) PUSHING the coach. If it’s pushing and still in neutral, You are putting yourself in a very dangerous position if you force the tow bar release. YOU COULD BE PINNED BETWEEN THE CAR AND THE COACH!

Teach your wife how to start the car and drive it into a location that SAFELY relieves the bind, place the car in park, and only then release the tow bar.

That’s a better approach to releasing the bind.

Pat
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #22

As Larry saw recently, I don’t care what the arrangement of the vehicles is. The Demco Excalibar we use is quite forgiving.

Over the summer, we had disconnected in any manner of unpleasant arrangements with little trouble.

Ordinarily, if I see things are bound up, I’ll put the truck in gear and ease it one way or another to relieve the pressure.

Sometimes, even if the arms have released, the knuckle where it joins the baseplate is turned slightly. This will put the pin in a bind and make release difficult. The best solution would be to loosen the big fastener at the end of the arm just a small amount to allow the knuckle to rotate freely.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have the Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain. I had the previous Sterling towbar and while this All-Terrain works better, it still binds at times. I am always able to release it by moving the tow car slightly forward or aft, or by turning the steering wheel in order to release the pressure on the bar.

I am very happy with this towbar and I would buy it again without hesitation.
We also started out with a Sterling. We had it for over 13 years and over 100,000 miles of towing when it was destroyed when the Jeep we were towing was rear ended. In all the time we had it we only had it bind a couple times. Once was when I attempted a U turn, and a second time when we had to pull off the pavement into an uneven field.

After the accident we replaced it with a Sterling All Terrain. We've used it going on 5 years and over 35,000 miles and have never had a problem with binding. I don't expect to have to buy another tow bar in the foreseeable future. When we do It will be another Sterling All Terrain if they are still being made.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Like others, it's no big deal to start the toad and take the pressure off the tow bar to release it. Safer as the parking brake is on once the DWs take the pressure off the tow bar by moving the toad in gear or turning the wheels. I'll bet I can bind up any tow bar on the market. though I rarely do anymore the Ready Brute is pretty forgiving.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
We have a Demco tow bar and it binds every time! We have a hammer and screwdriver that we use to get the pins out 99% of the time. Yes, we can move the tow vehicle up and back to help release it ... but still is frustrating. Someone should really make a tow bar that the release handles really work, IMO. I was looking at getting a Blackhawk - but really don't want to spend that kind of money (especially since I may need to buy a radiator and an airconditioner). Wow ... this motorhoming sure is expensive .....
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Bungee cord around the levers. Swing the front tires side to side. The bungee will pull down the levers when pressure drops away.
Thank you !
that was a helpful suggestion
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #27

I always start the toad and engage the transfer case before unhooking. Before leaving the toad to unhook I put the emergency brake on firmly and make sure it is in park.

Pounding or forcing the pins out is really dangerous as that indicates there is load on the bar which could allow the toad to roll into the pin remover or runaway backwards down hill. I still have to stomp the release levers occasionally with our Blue Ox even after putting the toad in park and turning the wheels. But at least I know the toad is not going to roll! Once was enough......

That should be a standard warning on the tow bar to not force the pins loose for fear of a runaway toad!!

Not all of us have a DW who participtes in the hooking/unhooking ritual. Yea, I know she should know how.....just like she should know how to drive the Entegra.... Not going to happen. Subject for another post.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using a Blue Ox Aventa LX for 8 years and never had it bind up.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow