Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
aza

Non repairable tag axels leak?

I purchased my 2019 Entegra Anthem new. Both tag axel wheels leak after several attempts to repair by Spartan, Lazy Days and Spartan approved shops. I carry oil and refill after each use. (I do not overfill) Spartan blames the repair shops I used (even though they were pre-approved). Spartan refused to pay my most recent repair arguing the prior (pre-approved) shop created the problem. I’ve worn out my welcome with Spartan as they do not return my calls.

I understand that my leak issue is not unusual with my chassis. Can someone recommend a remedy? I believe it is a design flaw, certainly there must be a fix. Help!
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 08:14 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Can you provide pictures of exactly where it leaks so we can help
Old 01-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #3

If the oil is leaking outside, over torquing the cap bolts deforms the gaskets and they leak.

If its inside, they are damaging the seal, during installation.

Spartan approved doesn't mean you get the best guy in the shop to do a small job.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:31 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmmm... waiting for pic's.... both inner and outer pls,
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Leaking is common but refilling is not. I’ve had leaks on several coaches and even bought oil to refill them but never have. Drove across country and back with terrible looking wheels but oil still showing on the site glass. The shiny wheels look terrible with the spider webbing oil but it is really very little oil. I would suggest you stop refilling it but keep an eye on it. Let it go to lowest refill point before dealing with it.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Leaking is common but refilling is not. I’ve had leaks on several coaches and even bought oil to refill them but never have. Drove across country and back with terrible looking wheels but oil still showing on the site glass. The shiny wheels look terrible with the spider webbing oil but it is really very little oil. I would suggest you stop refilling it but keep an eye on it. Let it go to lowest refill point before dealing with it.
LOL!
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I went through the same thing on my 14. Seems there is very few mechanics that know how to replace a hub seals anymore. After 5 Spartan/Entegra attempted fixes, I did it myself.

Here is what I found. The gaskets being used are paper thin. The mechanics got there training watch Sea Bond denture adhesive commercials. There was a dab of sealant at 1, 6 and 11 o'clock. Torque was by guess and by golly on the hub bolts.

The fix was easy, removed the hub covers and removed all of the attempted globs of sealant. Put the hub cover on perfectly flat surface, glass etc. I used a stainless steel tool box. Check to make sure they are not wrapped or cracked. Installed new gaskets with Permatex Black gasket sealant, applied to both sides of the gasket, something new age mechanic know nothing about. Torqued the hub covers to 16 ft lbs using a circular crisscross pattern for proper even torque. 34,000 additional mileage and no leaks. Doing it the proper way, about 1/2 and hour per wheel including time to jack it up so the oil stays in the axle housing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I went through the same thing on my 14. Seems there is very few mechanics that know how to replace a hub seals anymore. After 5 Spartan/Entegra attempted fixes, I did it myself.

Here is what I found. The gaskets being used are paper thin. The mechanics got there training watch Sea Bond denture adhesive commercials. There was a dab of sealant at 1, 6 and 11 o'clock. Torque was by guess and by golly on the hub bolts.

The fix was easy, removed the hub covers and removed all of the attempted globs of sealant. Put the hub cover on a stainless steel tool box lid and checked to make sure they where not wrapped or cracked. Installed now gaskets with Permatex Black gasket sealant, applied to both sides of the gasket, something new age mechanic know nothing about. Torqued the hub covers to 16 ft lbs using a circular crisscross pattern for proper even torque. 34,000 additional mileage and no leaks. Doing it the proper way, about 1/2 and hour per wheel including time to jack it up so the oil stays in the axle housing.
Yup... and the biggest warning is... DO NOT over fill....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yup... and the biggest warning is... DO NOT over fill....
Changing both seals, I don't think I needed to add and oil.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #10

I had a huge air leak a “Spartan Approved “ shop didn’t fix after keeping my coach for a week. I was not impressed. I thought my best option was to take it to Spartan Factory. That did the trick. From now on I will take it to factory for annual service.
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:44 PM   #11

My Father owned and operated a lawn mower and small engine repair shop.

It was an authorized and approved repair shop for many brands of small engines. At least that's what the signs said, when he bought the business.

During the summer busy season, my brothers and I, still school aged, an off duty cop, my second cousin who was a plumber, all repaired lawn mowers. Dad, a former small engine parts salesman, taught us how.

All Authorized and Approved means is your allowed to put warrantee claims in. If you think the crew went to some kind of factory training, your very mistaken. If your lucky, 1 employee did.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #12
aza

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
Can you provide pictures of exactly where it leaks so we can help
I cleaned both wheels so there is no pictures available. The oil trail comes from where the hub meets the rim. Inside the removable hub there is no oil.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Aza, those Stemco hub leaks on the tag are difficult to chase down. Been through that.
Some folks only fill to the lower line. I’m some where near that. I used a sealant that is use by a small engine shop with a new gasket. Twinboat I spent a couple of years working in this shop. It’s by brother in law’s shop now second generation.
I removed the hub and used find sand paper on a flat surface to make sure the hub was true. Might consider leaving the ornament hub cover off and running awhile to see exactly where the oil is coming from. Those Stemco hub covers have vent holes, wonder if they are working.
When the axle gets hot the pressure increases and needs relieved
I think the best practice is to fix it yourself,
Not difficult no large tools needed.
Good luck,
Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Aza, those Stemco hub leaks on the tag are difficult to chase down. Been through that.
Some folks only fill to the lower line. I’m some where near that. I used a sealant that is use by a small engine shop with a new gasket. Twinboat I spent a couple of years working in this shop. It’s by brother in law’s shop now second generation.
I removed the hub and used find sand paper on a flat surface to make sure the hub was true. Might consider leaving the ornament hub cover off and running awhile to see exactly where the oil is coming from. Those Stemco hub covers have vent holes, wonder if they are working.
When the axle gets hot the pressure increases and needs relieved
I think the best practice is to fix it yourself,
Not difficult no large tools needed.
Good luck,
Richard
X2 Fix it yourself and fix it right. Most shops encourage speedy yet unreliable fixes.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, leak, repair