Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
A Watt's link links the differental to points on the frame on other side reducing sway and improving grip. Torque arm attaches it to the front reducing dive when under braking. Both will help, I'm just curious what you're referring to

The watts link is a variation on the panhard bar or trac bar which is a single bar linking the differential to the frame.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
The watts link is a variation on the panhard bar or trac bar which is a single bar linking the differential to the frame.

Watts linkhttps://www.cjponyparts.com/whiteline-watts-link-assembly-coupe-2005-2014/p/KDT916/?year=2006&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGZ22lZ5I hexyQXGz6VCf_sEWeJ9QQGRM5ol_4ZUwug_6GjMq1ANDrMaAgv ZEALw_wcB

I was confusing a Panhard bar with a torque arm
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...IaAuo1EALw_wcB
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:09 PM   #17

Quote:
A Watt's link links the differental to points on the frame on other side reducing sway and improving grip. Torque arm attaches it to the front reducing dive when under braking. Both will help, I'm just curious what you're referring to
"Panhard" is a racing term for a rear trac bar, which is essentially what you described for the Watts link. Henderson and URVP.com both sell a "rear track bar" that connects the chassis rail to the rear axle housing. It eliminates almost all of the side -to -side motion that is created by the spring pack and shackles, commonly called "tail wagging the dog" effect from passing trucks.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
"Panhard" is a racing term for a rear trac bar, which is essentially what you described for the Watts link. Henderson and URVP.com both sell a "rear track bar" that connects the chassis rail to the rear axle housing. It eliminates almost all of the side -to -side motion that is created by the spring pack and shackles, commonly called "tail wagging the dog" effect from passing trucks.
Yes, I raced a 1990 fox body mustang which had the lanyard and torque arms. Thus my confusion
Old 03-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes, I raced a 1990 fox body mustang which had the lanyard and torque arms. Thus my confusion
Now I'm confused. What's a "lanyard"
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Now I'm confused. What's a "lanyard"
Spell checked! Lanyard was supposed to be Panhard

Darned Chell Specker
Old 03-30-2021, 12:31 PM   #21

Maybe it's me, but I never found these issues to be too concerning. I've rented Class Cs several times and the handling was always about what I expected in something that size. The rentals were either Coachman or Forest River units ranging from 28 to 32+ feet. All the trips were in Colorado or Wyoming, through the mountains on both interstate and 2 lane highways. I was a little tense for a short time on our last trip when there was a very strong crosswind on a 2 lane highway, but even my Dodge Grand Caravan gets blown around in those conditions. You may not need to do anything except drive enough to get the feel for the way your motorhome handles. I doubt the rental places were putting suspension mods on the rental units. None of these coaches are going to drive like a car or even a pickup.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
Maybe it's me, but I never found these issues to be too concerning. I've rented Class Cs several times and the handling was always about what I expected in something that size. The rentals were either Coachman or Forest River units ranging from 28 to 32+ feet. All the trips were in Colorado or Wyoming, through the mountains on both interstate and 2 lane highways. I was a little tense for a short time on our last trip when there was a very strong crosswind on a 2 lane highway, but even my Dodge Grand Caravan gets blown around in those conditions. You may not need to do anything except drive enough to get the feel for the way your motorhome handles. I doubt the rental places were putting suspension mods on the rental units. None of these coaches are going to drive like a car or even a pickup.

There is absolutely no reason not to feel as comfortable behind the wheel of an rv as a car. Each of the things suggested here will enhance the ride of a rv and in many respects make it safer to drive. Perhaps you should try a coach with some of these changes and you will find that you may enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
There is absolutely no reason not to feel as comfortable behind the wheel of an rv as a car. Each of the things suggested here will enhance the ride of a rv and in many respects make it safer to drive. Perhaps you should try a coach with some of these changes and you will find that you may enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
With all due respect to those who've done suspension/handling mods, I've never really been uncomfortable driving any of the Class Cs we've rented and have always enjoyed both the journey and the destination. I've also never expected my Caravan to handle like a sports car either which doesn't mean I don't like driving it.

My point is that the OP doesn't seem to have much experience driving a bigger vehicle yet. Maybe after driving for awhile the issues won't seem problematic.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi rd36mnm and all,

I am new to the Forum and have been following your concerns regarding your Entegra Odyssey 26M and the EZ Drive features. I am expecting delivery of mine hopefully soon and I am wondering if I should be pre-ordering the larger sway bars and perhaps the steering stabilizer ( as I understand some products are on back order ).

How did your recent trip go ? Have you made any decisions on upgrades ?
This is all new to me so any thoughts / comments would be welcomed

Thanking everyone in advance

Cheers
BarLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #25

Welcome BarLou....though I am not a newbie to RVing, owning a Class C was and still is new to me, learning all the time.

The first mistake I made was thinking my Entegra would go down the highway like my travel trailer. My trailer(not a fifth wheel) and tow vehicle were right around 45 ft and was never affected by big rigs on the interstate. So, I was surprised there was such a difference.

That being said, what I have done is nothing. Based on many of the replies to my post, I changed my driving habits somewhat, and have just gotten used to it. I never really experienced any sway or roll feeling, just the constant sawing on the wheel to keep it straight. On the interstate I have adjusted to handle the big rigs blowing by me and now not so much of an issue. On secondary roads, the unit handles beautifully really.

Of course, all this also depends your intended use. My current situation does not allow for extended trips. We go out for 3-4 days, about once a month, and no more than 200-350 mile round trip. I find I can easily deal with the issues based on that. If I were to travel more often and much longer distances, I would at minimum invest in a steering stabilizer, like a Safe T Plus(again based on recommendations, not experience). I personally never thought the sway was bad at all, but beefier sway bars than the stock ones would help if you find that an issue.

Many posts say all the suspension mods help tremendously, some say the difference is marginal and does not justify the additional expense. Personally for me, I would go with the steering stabilizer to start. That may be all you need. And get it weighed and adjust your tire pressure according to tire manufactures specs. The dealer will deliver unit with all tires set to max pressure, and it turns out to be way too much on the front.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any 26M specific questions. Enjoy your new adventure!
Old 07-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #26

Safe-T-Plus does help in driver fatigue…I think it is a great addition…
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Safe-T-Plus does help in driver fatigue…I think it is a great addition…
I would like to get it done, it is not outrageously expensive. My problem is finding someone to install it that knows what they are doing in my area. I have toyed with the idea of a road trip to their factory and have them install. Not that much more than buying online and paying for installation. At least I know it would be done right.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:13 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for your thoughts rd36mnm and your comments buck58 on the Safe-T-Plus ! Still getting use to the forum pardon me if I posted this twice in error

Being new to RVing, I didn't know what to expect and some of the posts about their driving issues both A's and C's were a bit concerning. Sadly, with little or no inventory in our area (the country in fact) it was impossible to do a test drive, so our decision was based on RV videos (thank you to Matt) and manufacturer reviews. The 26M ticked all the boxes for us as our initial plans are to do short trips exploring the Maritimes and our general area, then hopefully winter down south come retirement.
That said, the RV dealer is 700 miles away, (all highway & lots of trucks) so that trip will be the "shake down" luckily there are many rest areas along the way and we are planning to take a few days to drive it back. I will know if I need the sway bar upgrade
soon enough, but the steering stabilizer I hope to have installed at the dealer.
The trick is finding one, Roadmaster tells me they have a 6 month back order and STP is hard to find up here. I have been offered Steersafe but I am still researching it. I see there are plenty of comments about it on the forum.

Thanks again
BarLou is offline   Reply With Quote