Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #1

Odyssey 26M with EZ Drive not so easy

Hello all....this is our first motorhome, having moved on from travel trailer, so I have nothing to compare with. The Class C Entegra Odyssey 26M comes with their EZ Drive features which on this particular model includes front and rear stabilizer bars and Hellwig helper springs. This thing is not a joy to drive. On a normal secondary road, it is not terrible, but floats pretty easily back and forth causing one to make constant corrections in either direction, requiring you pay pretty close attention at all times. On the interstate it is worse, especially when being passed by semi or other big rigs, then it is white knuckle time, being pushed hard to the right and then sucked back to left after rig passes. With the sheer number of semis on the interstate, it does make for a tiring and stressful trip.

Obviously need to make some kind of changes/upgrades. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I can't say on your class C without driving it, but on my 14 class A, I had the same problem. Long story short, it was under shocked for the weight. Changed the shocks to Koni solved the problem. Now on the same coaches, Anthems, they are installing 60mm shocks where they use to be 46mm.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd36mnm View Post
Hello all....this is our first motorhome, having moved on from travel trailer, so I have nothing to compare with. The Class C Entegra Odyssey 26M comes with their EZ Drive features which on this particular model includes front and rear stabilizer bars and Hellwig helper springs. This thing is not a joy to drive. On a normal secondary road, it is not terrible, but floats pretty easily back and forth causing one to make constant corrections in either direction, requiring you pay pretty close attention at all times. On the interstate it is worse, especially when being passed by semi or other big rigs, then it is white knuckle time, being pushed hard to the right and then sucked back to left after rig passes. With the sheer number of semis on the interstate, it does make for a tiring and stressful trip.

Obviously need to make some kind of changes/upgrades. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to install a track bar. The ďwagĒ is caused by the independent side to side movement of the rear axle and the chassis. A track bar or panhard bar locks the two together so the the only movement can be up and down. Check out Hendersonís in Oregon, they sell a lot of suspension products for rvís. Look it up as Henderson Supersteer.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd36mnm View Post

If you havenít already, go over to the ďClass CĒ forum under the ďMotorhomeĒ heading. There you will find many discussions on your exact problem. The comments above are spot on. Others have also installed Sumo Springs on their Class Cs to mitigate the swaying problem. Still others have improved their ride by getting an alignment. Trying incremental changes will be the most cost effective. We just purchased our Nexus (after downsizing from an Anthem) and we have some of the same issues, just not as bad as you describe. Good luck and let us know what worked best.
Grower15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

Odyessy 26m e-e ride

We have a 2019 class c and went with roadmaster sway bars front and back, koni fsd shocks on rear and roadmaster steering stabilzer on front.. Incredible improvement, no side to side roll and smoother ride....looked up e-z ride no mention of what size bars were used, hollow or solid and the diameter....
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #6

Iím told that both the Entegra and Jayco class Cís can all use a Roadmaster Steering control or similar brand. Will be the first mod on our new Jayco.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we got our first coach, I thought it was just me. Then I started researching and saw that it was a common problem. I also saw there were improvements that could be done to help. So I started adding the devices I felt would improve the areas that concerned me most, steering and rear wag. It got a bit better, but not what I would call good. I started looking at additional improvements to suspension and checking out reviews from people who went that route.

About the same time we came to the realization that changes in our lifestyles and how we used the coach would be better served by a different rig.

Help is out there, slower is faster. Many do multiple modifications at once. I did them one at a time to judge success of the changes.

good luck.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #8

I assume this is on a Ford Chassis. They are famous for wandering all over the road. Someone mentioned a Panfard bar which will improve things. Also a Wats link will help a lot. It will virtually eliminate the rear wag
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 31' Minnie Winnie n the E450 chassis. It wanted to wander all over the road and sway side to side. After a lot of research, I made the following modifications and it greatly improved the road manners.

1. Load the RV as for normal travel and get the front end aligned at an independent truck shop. Ford does not know how to properly align these chassis or the Super Duty trucks.
2. I added air springs front and rear.
3. Changed the shocks to Bilstein HD shocks front and rear.
4. Replace the Ford Anti-roll bars front and rear with larger bars and urethane bushings.

The E450 chassis is overloaded when you mount the large box on the chassis. It suffers from "bump steer". It will sway to one side and the front end geometry changes and it wants to wander to one side. You have to steer in the opposite direction and it will sway to the other side and you correct steering again. You wind up driving down the road swinging the steering from one side to the other and the chassis rolling from side to side and this is very tiring.

With these corrections, the RV behaved beautifully on the road and much easier to drive.

Ken
Old 03-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club

As a former owner of a C, I spent $5000. on the suspension, doing most of the work myself. I replaced everything, shocks, sway bars, bushings, added a steering stabilizer and nothing helped it more than installing the track bar! That simple little bar will solve 80% of your issues!
Old 03-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
As a former owner of a C, I spent $5000. on the suspension, doing most of the work myself. I replaced everything, shocks, sway bars, bushings, added a steering stabilizer and nothing helped it more than installing the track bar! That simple little bar will solve 80% of your issues!
Panhard or Watts link?
Old 03-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Panhard or Watts link?

I think that in regards to rvs, they do the same thing. Iím not sure watts links are even available for class cís. When I was looking for answers for mine, I found Supersteer. They were amazingly knowledgeable and very helpful educating me on the whys and solutions for poor handling.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
I think that in regards to rvs, they do the same thing. Iím not sure watts links are even available for class cís. When I was looking for answers for mine, I found Supersteer. They were amazingly knowledgeable and very helpful educating me on the whys and solutions for poor handling.
A Watt's link links the differental to points on the frame on other side reducing sway and improving grip. Torque arm attaches it to the front reducing dive when under braking. Both will help, I'm just curious what you're referring to
Old 03-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #14

Thanks

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. We have a short 3 day trip coming up in 3 wks. It will take me a couple hours down I-75 and back. I will see how it all goes and pay more attention to what is going on and address the issues you all suggested, probably one at a time and not all at once. Thanks again!
rd36mnm is offline   Reply With Quote