Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #43

Gary, where did you get your oil changed in Poplar Bluff, Mo.?
I live near there.
Thanks.
memdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #44

Dave

There are several Garys in this same thread so not sure who you are talking to, but if it is me, then I didnt get my oil change anywhere near you. I have routinely gotten my oil and lube done at a Speedco somewhere, most often about 10 miles from me in Greenwood, LA just across the state line from Texas on I-20. Speedcos are found near truck stops, and now have been bought out by one of the major truck stops. I have used the Speedco near Tucson and the Speedco near home for all my oil changes and lubes over a span of 6-7 years and three coaches. I have been very happy with Speedco. Now that they have been bought out by one of the majors (Loves?), some dont do coaches at all, some do, some charge much more than others, .... there are a lot of variations. I always call ahead to talk to them about their preferences, but my local and Tucson have always been happy to do my servicing.

They have also been competent. They used to use nothing but Baldwin filters when they were their own company, and now they use Fleetguard or Luber-Finer. Since I always carry spare filters for every filter on the coach (and belts), I simply ask Speedco's people to use my filters and give me what they were going to put on to put in the basement so I am always using reasonably new filters. Never been a problem. AND, they will happily run a computer analysis on the oil they take out which will tell you a whole bunch about how your engine is performing. Great information to know to avoid future problems.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #45

What kind of engine holds 51 qts of oil? My 425hp Cummins will only take 31 qts at oil & filter change
Old 10-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #46

My Cummins X-15 Diesel engine (605 horsepower) uses 51 quarts of oil with a standard oil change just like the Cummins ISX-15 engine. Feel free to look it up!

Gary
Old 10-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
WoW

WoW! Just had mine done at the National Indoor RV Center (NIRT) and it didn't come close. Way to shop for a great price.

I also changed our all eight tires for our coach and did shop for a good price. I went to Firebird here in Phoenix and my out the door price was $5,197.34. I liked the single piece valve stems on the inside dual tires as it makes it easier to add air. They have the equipment to balance the tires correctly and to check the front tires for round tolerences. Great service.
JeffJaneDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #48

What tires did you buy all around Jeff?

Gary
Old 10-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Yup, we ASSUME it was a GOOD JOB!
I believe he was saying "good job" for finding the work done for that price, not actually the quality of work.

Gene & Nette
2015 Thor Palazzo 36.1 DP
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Old 10-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
For folks / visitors in the Houston / San Antonio / Dallas area I use RV Mobile Lube for my annual maintenance service (change oil & oil filter, change fuel filters, chassis lube, etc.). The full service cost is $430 --> RV Mobile Lube - Services & Prices

A Nice aspect of using RV Mobile Lube is they come to my storage facility to do the work. Their service is fast and high quality.

I change oil & filters on my Onan generator.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #51

I enjoy and do my own oil changes every fall on an ISL 425HP, 26 quarts of Rotella 15w-40w T4 $81 for oil delivered to the house from Walmart. Fleetguard LF9009 oil filter $28 Amazon. $109 OTD, old oil recycled back for free.

Generator, same oil 6 qts $18 onan 122-0833 filter $8

Fuel filters at the same
Old 10-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #52

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Holy crap! 51 quarts of oil per change? Sure glad my diesel only uses 16 qts every 15K miles, and only another 2 qts for the diesel generator.
Jchemie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #53

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
Holy crap! 51 quarts of oil per change? Sure glad my diesel only uses 16 qts every 15K miles, and only another 2 qts for the diesel generator.
Think in terms of gallons, it sounds better.
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #54

51 qts ofoil??? I've never heard of a diesel over the road engine taking that much oil??? What size Cummings do you have?

My 450 HP ISL only takes 29 qts with filter.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Think in terms of gallons, it sounds better.
I prefer to think of it as buckets. I use 5 gallon pails to drain my oil so if you think of it as a 2-1/2 bucket oil change it doesn't sound so bad. If I just don't look at the credit card bill for 14 gallons (includes 6 quarts for the Onan) of Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40 it doesn't bother me so much.

I prefer to do my own maintenance in my driveway because I will catch things that most won't and detect issues before they become a problem. There's alot to look at when underneath the coach. Plus, all the other stuff to do, like checking wheel hub oil, changing the fan drive lube, water filter, DEF filter, etc, etc. But I do understand that not everyone has a place to do that kind of maintenance. Full timers especially are limited. When I sell my business I'll go on the road but still buy some property where I can have a large garage to do that kind of work in.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #56

This will be the third time that I have answered this question in the last two pages of this forum....

Believe it or not, the CUMMINS X-15 and ISX-15 605 Horse engines require 51 quarts of oil for an oil change. Yes, that is more than most, but it is a much bigger and more powerful engine that most, and most 450s and smaller engines use considerably less oil.

Just a comment... but it sure would be nice if people read more than the last 3 posts on a thread.... this happens over and over. I guess that some are unusual, but see a thread that is interesting, start at the first post and read all, or most, of every post that is posted in the thread to see if answers to their questions occur somewhere in the post. Just my observation.

Gary

Tags
fuel