Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #15

Don, if it leaks for YOU, something is likely wrong.

I’d first suggest removing and checking for a spare gasket. Next examine the filter, and finally examine the filter housing. I’d be looking for cracks on the housing.

I use a Matco 3 legged oil filter wrench to loosen, and once finger tight I lift a bag up around the filter as far as I can reach and spin it off the rest of the way.

Inevitably, some oil drips down into the wiring harness which passes closely enough to the filter to be a problem.

Once a long time ago I had some oil collect inside the wire loom and drip out over time.

I hope this is helpful,

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7EE87467-FAC5-483C-9B7D-1942649C14D1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	262592   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F4F89F4-C9E0-40A7-81F1-4803BDDEE6D3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	262593  

2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #16

Tighten it again, with the wrench when it's hot. The gasket will soften some when hot and get a better seal.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #17

Just buy another filter, remove the first filter and pour the oil into the new filter and install the new one. I don't like to punch a hole in the old filter, cause now you are committed with no plan B to reinstall the old filter if something goes wrong (like new filter won't fit).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
All good responses, thanks guys. I am going to try loosening first and then tighten to spec and run the engine to see what happens. If it still leaks then I will change it out.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Don, different filter, but when I had my service done, the tech failed to get the o-ring on the air dryer filter, causing a small air leak under the housing. Hopefully there is a o-ring on your filter.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #20

If it was me I'd clean all around the filter with brake cleaner and compressed air, climb under the engine with it running and check for the leak. If the leak is around the filter replace the filter. Trying to keep tightening the filter which is on the engine now is going to be a problem the next time you want to change the filter. It will be tight. Too tight.
If the new filter cures the oil leak throw the old filter away and be done with it. If changing the filter doesn't cure the leak you have a problem somewhere else and you can save the filter you took off for the next oil and filter change.

Lynn
Old 10-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
It appears that loosening the filter and then retightening with a filter wrench to the proper spec did the trick. Looking up on one side of the filter with a flashlight it appears NOT to be a case of double gaskets so that is a relief. Running the motor at high idle for 5 minutes produced no additional seepage coming down the filter.

Will check again after we do a short 90 minute drive next week as we slowly start to make our way from our seasonal site towards the border.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't take chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Thanks but removal is not the problem. IF I wanted to save the filter to reinstall then the hole would be a problem.
Personally, I wouldn't even think of loosening it with the idea of saving it to reuse. Not worth the gamble. I'd take if off --the idea of punching a hole to let it drain is a good one-- then see if you can find the problem; i.e., twisted, missing, pinched or double gasket. You'll sleep better.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Don, if it leaks for YOU, something is likely wrong.

I’d first suggest removing and checking for a spare gasket. Next examine the filter, and finally examine the filter housing. I’d be looking for cracks on the housing.

I use a Matco 3 legged oil filter wrench to loosen, and once finger tight I lift a bag up around the filter as far as I can reach and spin it off the rest of the way.

Inevitably, some oil drips down into the wiring harness which passes closely enough to the filter to be a problem.

Once a long time ago I had some oil collect inside the wire loom and drip out over time.

I hope this is helpful,

-Matt
I like that wrench, Matt D. Assume I can find it anywhere Matco is sold. I've used a strap for years but sometimes they're a hassle to get wrapped around a filter that has some obstruction.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #24

oil it is

Thanks for the info twinboat! Old habits die hard! I've used lubriplate or white grease on oil filters for so long never gave it a second thought on the cummins. I'll stick to oil only in the future. I use such a thin white grease that it is practically like oil, anyway.