Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
TurboDaveTX's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 546
Onan 12.5 Kw gen in Cornerstone

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	227028

As we all know, service providers have taken aim at coach owners with unreasonable labor charges, unbelievable markup over retail for parts, then slow or unacceptable service. Getting near the ouch point. Last time I had generator service it cost me over $400, way too much. So I am doing some of my own service beginning with the generator. Ordered air, oil, and fuel filters from Amazon and got oil at WM. Only had two problems, first they must have screwed the oil plug in with an impact tool (took a 1/2Ē X 18Ē breaker bar to loosen it, and the other is I canít find where the fuel filter is. Looked at 3 videos on YouTube about changing fuel filters in this model Onan, they are all different from this one model. Some say there is a bottom panel (there is no bottom panel) others seem to say vaguely it is in the road side pop off door area, but I donít see it. Does anyone have any idea where it might be?

Last service people charged me 2 hours labor and did not change fuel filter. I changed air, oil, and oil filter in 1.5 hours and spent 15 minutes trying to get oil drain plug out.
__________________
F78957
2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45B - Cayenne
2020 F150 Raptor SVT "Lead Foot"
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Dynasty_09's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St-Colomban
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
Attachment 227028

As we all know, service providers have taken aim at coach owners with unreasonable labor charges, unbelievable markup over retail for parts, then slow or unacceptable service. Getting near the ouch point. Last time I had generator service it cost me over $400, way too much. So I am doing some of my own service beginning with the generator. Ordered air, oil, and fuel filters from Amazon and got oil at WM. Only had two problems, first they must have screwed the oil plug in with an impact tool (took a 1/2Ē X 18Ē breaker bar to loosen it, and the other is I canít find where the fuel filter is. Looked at 3 videos on YouTube about changing fuel filters in this model Onan, they are all different from this one model. Some say there is a bottom panel (there is no bottom panel) others seem to say vaguely it is in the road side pop off door area, but I donít see it. Does anyone have any idea where it might be?

Last service people charged me 2 hours labor and did not change fuel filter. I changed air, oil, and oil filter in 1.5 hours and spent 15 minutes trying to get oil drain plug out.
Dave,
It should be on the lower right corner of the opening when you remove the access door. It's not easy to find because it's about two inches lower than the opening and to the right. You can follow the fuel hoses.
Good luck...
__________________
Michel & Nicole
2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire 45
(ISM 500HP, Scangauge D, Eeze tire TPMS, Working Truecenter) 20' trailer and a race car
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 29,526
Dave, this make your next oil change much easier. First thing I install on the first oil change. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/femc...an-214372.html

Here is a schematic that Dave post on the filter location.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/gene...ml#post1888554

Instructions posted by Matt.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/gene...ml#post3416409
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
Digital 2021 Cornerstone "B"
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B" Traded
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
lowejug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: st george
Posts: 1,383
Onan 12.5 Kw gen in Cornerstone

Servicing the generator is super easy... 6 quarts of oil and the air filter is at Napa auto parts... did you say 400 bucks to have this done.... wow ... thatís just crazy expensive.. I have heard it all now... do it yourself and fill your tank with the savings..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TurboDaveTX's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 546
That is exactly what I am doing. They hit the ouch point where the cost of convenience exceeds the utility of the service!
__________________
F78957
2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45B - Cayenne
2020 F150 Raptor SVT "Lead Foot"
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Member
 
rprkbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
Attachment 227028

As we all know, service providers have taken aim at coach owners with unreasonable labor charges, unbelievable markup over retail for parts, then slow or unacceptable service. Getting near the ouch point. Last time I had generator service it cost me over $400, way too much. So I am doing some of my own service beginning with the generator. Ordered air, oil, and fuel filters from Amazon and got oil at WM. Only had two problems, first they must have screwed the oil plug in with an impact tool (took a 1/2Ē X 18Ē breaker bar to loosen it, and the other is I canít find where the fuel filter is. Looked at 3 videos on YouTube about changing fuel filters in this model Onan, they are all different from this one model. Some say there is a bottom panel (there is no bottom panel) others seem to say vaguely it is in the road side pop off door area, but I donít see it. Does anyone have any idea wher

Last service people charged me 2 hours labor and did not change fuel filter. I changed air, oil, and oil filter in 1.5 hours and spent 15 minutes trying to get oil drain plug out.

Here is a good video that may help you. I remember one or two bolts on the outside of the frame you remove to be able to pull it out.

__________________
Roger R.
2016 Cornerstone B
rprkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 37,725
On my 12.5 w/Kubota engine it looks like the fuel filter may be a little hard to do but everything else is in the open.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft, HWH Active Air
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA,
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '21 Jeep JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 29,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Servicing the generator is super easy... 6 quarts of oil and the air filter is at Napa auto parts... did you say 400 bucks to have this done.... wow ... that’s just crazy expensive.. I have heard it all now... do it yourself and fill your tank with the savings..
Couldn't agree more. A large local RV dealer the last published price I saw was $350. for a generator oil change. Welcome Snowbirds.

My Toad is harder to change the oil on than a generator. It requires a lift, the generator slides out to you, both take 6 quarts of oil, the toad a more expensive synthetic blend, both filters are about the same in the $4.00 range at NAPA. An oil change for the toad is $29.95 at several location. How they can justify $350. for a generator is beyond me. With the quick drain valve, I can change my oil anywhere with no clean up, use 2 old milk jugs to drain the oil in.
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
Digital 2021 Cornerstone "B"
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B" Traded
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/femc...an-214372.html GET 1 of theese
seabass99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TurboDaveTX's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On my 12.5 w/Kubota engine it looks like the fuel filter may be a little hard to do but everything else is in the open.


Success at last! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3496.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	227167Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3499.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	227168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3498.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	227170

Trick that they donít show in YouTube videos are: 1.) There are two bolts in the oil filter mount. You need to remove the nearest bolt and loosen the other bolt. You can turn the oil filter mount up which will move the oil lines for clearance. 2.) there is a clamp on the side of the block with a bolt holding it. Loosen the bolt and turn the clamp up. Final step is remove the two 3/8Ē machine screws holding the fuel filter mount.

At this point, a little wiggling and out the fuel filter and itís mount comes out. Disconnect the mount from the filter, disconnect the fuel in and out lines, mount filter mount in new filter, connect fuel in and out lines. The filter and mount slip back in. You will need a lineup tool to match the bolt hole in the generator housing with the holes in the fuel filter mount ( I used a small center punch nut a short Phillips screw driver will work). Once you are able to line up one hole, manipulate the filter housing to locate the other bolt. Tighten the two bolts, realign the clamp you loosened and tighten, realign the oil filter housing hole for the bolt you removed, tighten then tighten the other bolt.

At this point it is hit the prime and you are in business!
__________________
F78957
2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45B - Cayenne
2020 F150 Raptor SVT "Lead Foot"
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:46 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,398
Just remove the center nut that holds the filter to the mount.
Little wiggling, it will come out without touching the oil filter mount, or removing the fuel filter mount.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TurboDaveTX's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 546
I will try that the next time! Thanks for the pointer!
__________________
F78957
2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45B - Cayenne
2020 F150 Raptor SVT "Lead Foot"
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 37,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Just remove the center nut that holds the filter to the mount.
Little wiggling, it will come out without touching the oil filter mount, or removing the fuel filter mount.
That's what I was told.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft, HWH Active Air
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA,
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '21 Jeep JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Montgomery, TX (Home Sweet Home)
Posts: 2,501
Congratulations Dave, beyond financial gains you will know itís done correctly and with proper care.

-Matt
__________________
Currently Motorhomeless
2017 Entegra Aspire 44R (bunks) towing 2019 F-350 LB (Sold)
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH (Our Phaeton was so nice, we bought it twice)
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
onan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front windshield 2013 Cornerstone vs 2017 Cornerstone TDB1227 Entegra Owner's Forum 5 08-27-2016 05:39 PM
Cornerstone for a Cornerstone JoyceJam Entegra Owner's Forum 11 06-09-2016 10:17 PM
Gen-turi Hookup To Curved Gen Exhaust? Tarheel MH-General Discussions & Problems 2 06-27-2010 01:52 PM
1999 UA - Use of Gen-turi on Gen exaust daellishou Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 7 02-25-2010 03:24 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.