Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Onan 12.5K Generator - Fuel Filter Replacement

The Onan 12.5K generator in our 2018 Cornerstone just hit 1,000 hours. I've completed an oil change (including installation of a Femco drain valve to make that particular job easier in the future), oil filter replacement, and air filter replacement.

Next up on my generator to-do list is replacement of the fuel filter. I have experience replacing fuel filters on the virtually identical Onan 10K generator that was in our 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus, so I'm familiar with the basic procedure. But Entegra's sliding tray is different than the one Tiffin uses, with its air cylinder impeding access a bit.

Any tips/advice regarding the best way to accomplish this fun little job will be appreciated!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Hi Larry , As I'm sure you already know removing the side panel gives you access to view the fuel filter and the filter housing is bolted in place to a bracket.
Unbolt the filter and pull/work ( fuel lines are flexible ) the filter up and out of the generator frame where you'll be able to undo the lines from the filter. Reverse process for replacing the new filter. Easier then it looks just be prepared to skin a knuckle or two !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #3

Larry,

Here are a couple of links that may help:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ona...ml#post4515632

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/cha...-443585-2.html

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #4

Yep, don't remove the fuel filter..... rather, remove the fuel filter bracket holding it to the generator engine.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
The Onan 12.5K generator in our 2018 Cornerstone just hit 1,000 hours. I've completed an oil change (including installation of a Femco drain valve to make that particular job easier in the future), oil filter replacement, and air filter replacement.

Next up on my generator to-do list is replacement of the fuel filter. I have experience replacing fuel filters on the virtually identical Onan 10K generator that was in our 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus, so I'm familiar with the basic procedure. But Entegra's sliding tray is different than the one Tiffin uses, with its air cylinder impeding access a bit.

Any tips/advice regarding the best way to accomplish this fun little job will be appreciated!
Unbolt the piston on the right side and pull it out of the way. IIRC that's all that was needed.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks to all of you for the responses and recommendations.

With all this great advice, I do believe I'm armed & dangerous!
Old 11-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Thanks to all of you for the responses and recommendations.

With all this great advice, I do believe I'm armed & dangerous!
DANGEROUS at least ! 😄

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
DANGEROUS at least ! 😄
All day, every day!
Old 11-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #9

Not that you didn’t get the fuel filter changed earlier, but based on guidelines it should be changed at 450 hours waiting till 1,000 is living on the dangerous side. Wishing you well, I always struggle getting the damn filter out, it’s always a hassle.
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #10

Actually the maintenance interval for the fuel filter is 500 hours rather than 450, according to the Cummins-Onan Operators Manual applicable to my 12.5K generator (see images below from that manual).

Either way, I haven’t changed it so far and didn’t plan to until the generator hit 1,000 hours. If it was an easier job I might do it sooner, but this is the fourth RV diesel generator we’ve owned (one Generac and three Onans) and I’ve never changed fuel filters earlier than 1,000 hours.

I’m very religious about oil, oil filter and air filter changes, but not that worried about fuel filters. I say that because the generator draws its fuel from the same tank as the main engine and I make it a practice to purchase fuel only at the major truck stops (Love’s, Flying J, Pilot, Petro & TA), which minimizes the chances of getting contaminated fuel.

I’ve considered doing what a friend of mine did, which was to install a spin-on fuel filter in the fuel line leading to the generator, mounted in a location that makes it easy to replace. The idea being that if you change that filter on a regular basis you could go a long time before needing to replace the hard-to-access fuel filter inside the generator.

My friend installed a small Parker Racor filter like the one in the photo below, but a Gar-Ber filter like the ones on most Aqua-Hot installations would work equally well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins OnanQD 12500 Maintenance Schedule-1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	307184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins OnanQD 12500 Maintenance Schedule-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	307185  

Name:	Racor Spin-On Fuel Filter.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	307186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gar-Ber Spin-On Fuel Filter.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	307187  

Old 11-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #11

I agree that the 10K & 12K Onan generator fuel filter change interval is 500 hours as you indicated, I misread the chart and quoted information from a different generator. As to extending the service interval to 1,000 hours I would be careful and always carry a spare filter and not be mad or upset that while boondocking the generator stops. Of course it will be in the middle of the night, miles from anywhere.

I have had the filter go bad once, the codes were straight forward if I remember correctly this was about 600 hours or so. I didn’t have a filter at the time of the second oil change so ordered one then forgot to install it.

Your idea of installing a spin off filter is excellent, finding a place that is secure and accessible may be a challenge, also Cummins warranty issues may require some attention.

Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I like @LWBAZ idea of a spin-on filter. It is a PITA to change now, especially on the older 12.5k models which have a metal fuel line from lift pump to the filter so filter cannot be moved up to change it.

I was planning replace the metal fuel line with a hose, like I've seen on some of the newer Onan models. But while I'm at it, why not put a small spin-on filter in there... If someone has done that I'd sure like to know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12.5HDCAB11506A-Genset.png
Views:	458
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	324707  
Old 04-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
I like @LWBAZ idea of a spin-on filter. It is a PITA to change now, especially on the older 12.5k models which have a metal fuel line from lift pump to the filter so filter cannot be moved up to change it.

I was planning replace the metal fuel line with a hose, like I've seen on some of the newer Onan models. But while I'm at it, why not put a small spin-on filter in there... If someone has done that I'd sure like to know.
Rick, I doubt you'd have room for a spin-on filter and associated top plate inside the generator. My friend mounted his spin-on filter outside the generator itself, about halfway between the coach fuel tank and the generator.

He left the original filter inside the generator, but another approach would be to remove that filter and connect its input and output lines together with flexible fuel hose. The idea being to end up with only one fuel filter that is quick & easy to change.

Tags
ace, fuel, generator, onan, replace, replacement