Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Onan code 3-6

We are in Northern Michigan headed towards Hearthside grove. Generator has worked great for the drive out from colorado had it on for most of the trip. Parked in Wisconsin for a week. Started it up this morning to head to Michigan and generator started ran for five minutes than dies. Flashing code 3 first than 6 flashes.
From what ive searched on internet this is a fuel problem. Gonna change fuel filter but curious if folks can recommend an onan tech in the Petoskey area who could come to Hearthside grove and replace the fuel pump of thats the culprit.
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
There is a mobile tech that services Hearthside. They can give you the information at the office when you check in.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Onan

Thanks Brobox.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I did buy cheap fuel at a funky trunk stop in Wisconsin on way to Osh but there were others fueling there too. Did replace the filter at annual service appt in May. Hoping not a fuel pump or worse.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
There are several post regarding the weak fuel pumps on the earlier coaches. One has a photo change out post. However without the year posted on your coach, I don't know if yours might have been one of them. You can try the search bar and see if you can find the posts.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #5

I did a google search and it was for general Onan fault codes, so I am not sure if this is specific to one model of Onan or all of them, but the fault code 3-6 that I came up with just says: "Generator stopped".

I dont remember if a listing of the fault codes for my specific generator is in the Onan/Cummins/Spartan manual that I got with this coach or not. I would be on the horn to Onan tomorrow morning to see what they say.

Chuck is right... there was a thread on this forum about 2 or 3 months ago that dealt with their genny simply shutting down after about 5 minutes (my memory). Should be sometime after I got back from my winter trip in early March.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #6

I have had the 36 code several times last year on a QD10 generator. It happend last year while temps were around 90°-95°. Had Cummins check it out but could not duplicate the problem after running it the whole day. Cummins service did say that they were seeing the code 36 pretty regular last year without any resolution.

I changed the fuel and air filter just for diagnostic purposes. I have not seen the problem since, however I have not operated in those temps since then either. So it remains inconclusive yet.

Others have seen the problem as well with the QD10 & QD12 generators but resolution remains outstanding. Concenses seems to be that it is fuel related and probably the fuel pump. Mine acted like a fuel starvation problem when it was failing
Old 07-29-2019, 06:13 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Here is what I do for a 3-6 error

Slide the generator out
Pull off side panel by opening latch
Remove 3 bolts holding the coolant bottle

Slide the bottle out the side and let it lay there

With your flashlight look into the unit toward the top front and you will see the large wire loom

Very carefully unplug the wire loom as it will lift up.

Plug the wire loom back in and make sure it is nice and secure

Start the generator if it runs for 1 minute problem solved

Then shut generator off and put the coolant bottle back in

Mine does this about every 3 months and has for years. I think the plug gets loose just enough so that one of the wire loom pins looses connection
Old 07-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Thx BBQ will try this today. Is proving quite difficult to schedule Onan service anywhere in the next week. How involved is the fuel pump replacement job if it is the pump?
What is so weird is that the generator has 600 hours on it and has never skipped a beat. I ran it from Colorado to Wisconsin for most of the trip and it was flawless. Shut it down in Wisconsin for a week and now this. Will try the loom first.
I have this same generator in a sailboat and it has 10,000 hours on it and has been a great machine.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Here is the photo post fromRubiconTrail http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/chan...ef-325105.html
Old 07-29-2019, 05:35 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikold View Post
Thanks Brobox.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I did buy cheap fuel at a funky trunk stop in Wisconsin on way to Osh but there were others fueling there too. Did replace the filter at annual service appt in May. Hoping not a fuel pump or worse.
I have a 2012 Anthem with the 12.5 Onan. I had a very similar problem and the generator would run for various intervals and eventually end up with the 36 error. Last summer, I asked on here and got lots of great information and potential fixes, which I followed. However, it did not fix my problem. Essentually, I changed both fuel and air filters.

I was going to the FMCA rally in Gillette, so I had Cummings take a look at it there. The tech tried to start it [at the generator] and right away he said, your fuel pump isn't working. Before replacing the fuel pump, he reached up and grabbed the main harness and the fuel pump started working. He took the harness apart and found the pin that supplies power to the fuel pump loose. He tightened that pin in the plug and I've never had another problem with it.

This may not help you at all, but if you try to start the generator with the switch on the generator, you should be able to hear the pump clicking. If you can't, that's your problem.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Thanks DrQ

Dr.Q you win the prize. I replace the air filter while I was in there cause it was dusty. Just resat the wire harness and the generator seems to be running wonderfully. I didn’t even remove it from the harness and got it working again.

I was a bit confused on how to unlock the connector from its housing?

I’ve got a spare fuel filter and I’ve ordered a fuel pump (neither have arrived) so I’m prepared for the future. For now it seems to be working great!

Thanks everyone for saving me a lot of time, $$$, and headaches...
Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you

This information has saved a lot of diagnostic time. Thanks to all who took the time to contribute!
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan