Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Onan Fault Code 13

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a “Fault Code 13” on their generator?

It worked perfectly all summer - usually used it while driving to run the A/Cs. I changed the oil at 40 hours, currently has 128 hours.

We stored the coach for 1 1/2 months. While driving to the campground last week, I ran it with the A/Cs to exercise the unit. After about 5 miles, the generator shut down.

When we arrived at the campground, I made sure the A/Cs were off, and started the generator. It ran for 4 seconds and shut down, with a fault code 13 - “under voltage”.

I tried again today with shore power disconnected and only the refrigerator on line. Same thing: 4 seconds, shut down, and then “fault code 13”.

I have an appointment with Cummins on Thursday - just wondering if anyone has an idea on what to expect? Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Try recycling the circuit breaker on the front of the generator while the generator is running. .
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

When was last time you changed the air filter. I don’t remember the code but the generator response sounds like a dirty filter.
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried recycling the on/off with on the unit - unfortunately, no luck.

Regarding the air filter, I thought the same thing; however, both Dan at Entegra and our local Cummins guy said with only 128 hours on the unit, it should be fine.

That said, I have a spare, and will change out just to be sure.

Question: the manual says to remove 3 bolts on the coolant tank and swing it out of the way. I only see 2 bolts - one in front, and one above the tank. Is that correct, or am I missing something regarding the process to change the filter?

Thanks again!
BG
Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

I think there are two on top. Once you pull generator out and remove the side cover, the air filter is at the top front behind the water reservoir looking from the Drivers side. Getting to the filter is not easy but doable.
Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #6

Bob

I dug put my manual and you are correct, a "13" error code simply says it is shown when you have an "under voltage". Now, I am only guessing, but that pretty clearly means that instead of 120 VAC +/- a few volts, the generator is sensing that part of your output voltage is significantly less than 120 VAC. A low voltage out of a generator should likely mean that either there is a very heavy load on the genny as in there is a short that is dragging the generator output voltage well below its design, or that the voltage regulator circuit is faulty or the armatures have shorted or faulted somehow. You could remove all the load off the gennny and see if that cures the problem, but my recommendation is keep that appointment with the Cummins dealer on Thursday.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

Sounds like either a control board or bad brush set. Onan Elkhart recommends brushes and slip ring be cleaned inspected every 150 hours. The service manual states 800 hours. My brush set failed at 650 hours. I was getting fault code 13 “under AC voltage “.

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

Thanks again for the replies.

I changed the air filter - no luck - still a code 13. From further research on the web, it appears either the control board or armature/brush thought will be the culprit.

We dropped off the coach at Cummins this afternoon - I'll do an update once the problem is solved. Thanks,

BG
Old 10-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #9

Bob mine was. The main plug when code 13 and gen stopped. Check that big plastic pigtail connection on the main harness.. After that i wrapped mine with plastic bag you can tell if theres a loose pin in it it will look a little black burned. Hope this is it like mine
seabass99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #10

Cummins called, and our coach is ready - the rotor and stator were bad. He said was not a common problem; however, they had replaced few...

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

BG
Old 10-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #11

I picked up a few points from the Cummins Service Mgr. today - some were standard practice; however, a couple were interesting:

-He recommends following the “hours” for service schedules - wasn’t too concerned about “time” (i.e., to confirm, I asked him about doing my maintenance next month, as my 1 year would be due. He recommended I wait until 250 hours, 500 hours, etc… - said that's what they look at to confirm warranty)
-He definitely recommends starting the generator with no load running
-He definitely recommends starting the generator with other power sources (ex: shore power) disconnected
-He recommends exercising the generator twice a month if possible
-Run under load at least 1 hour
-After 1 (or more) hour, turn off the load sources (A/C, heat pump, etc…) before shutting down the generator
-Only shut down the generator after it’s run at least 15 minutes without a load (this was an interesting point - he said would allow the rotor and stator to properly cool…)

Thanks,

BG
Old 10-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Bob, the instructions that the tech gave you is probably the #1 reason for the type of failure you had. I couldn't believe it when my dealer told me on the PDI that wasn't necessary to warm up and cool down anymore........I don't think so. To bad dealers are giving bad advise.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Bob, the instructions that the tech gave you is probably the #1 reason for the type of failure you had. I couldn't believe it when my dealer told me on the PDI that wasn't necessary to warm up and cool down anymore........I don't think so. To bad dealers are giving bad advise.
Agreed. I always have done a warm-up/cool-down; however, until now, my cool-down period was pretty much limited to 5 minutes or less... Thanks,

BG
Old 10-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG88 View Post
Agreed. I always have done a warm-up/cool-down; however, until now, my cool-down period was pretty much limited to 5 minutes or less... Thanks,

BG
I have also been using the 5 minute cool down unless I forget.

Tags
onan