Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

Opinion of 2016 Cornerstone

Ok Mark you've had the new Cornerstone for a month or so, what do think? What, if anything, would you change or do differently? Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I aint Mark, but how about .... lower the price by $50k...all in favor, say "aye"
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I aint Mark, but how about .... lower the price by $50k...all in favor, say "aye"
I'm sure we're all in favor of saving some money, but I want Marks take on the mechanics. Noel
Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What can I say. There's always something you can change on a motorhome. However, this Cornerstone is the best I've seen and a true dream come true.

The quality is typical Entegra. The difference between an Aspire, Anthem or Cornerstone is not that the Cornerstone is "better built". It's just the level of detail, features and décor that takes it up a notch. Although there is that K3 chassis. But the level of insulation, quality of construction, and all the other stuff that really matters doesn't vary between an Aspire and Cornerstone. The quality and type of construction is the same. You don't get a "cheaper" coach by going down to an Aspire. you just get a "less expensive" coach. There is a difference between those two terms.

The chassis does kick it up a notch. I've driven a lot of coaches, including Newells and Foretravels and I have to admit that the Cornerstone is still my favorite ride - and that's not just because we bought one. There's just something that is hard to put into words and describe but when I hop into the driver's seat everything just seems to fit like a glove. The seat is comfortable and the driving position is good. I love the huge windshield. Most coaches now have a large one piece windshield but Entegra's forward control design lowers the base of the windshield to minimize blind spots up close to the coach. One key feature is that this allows the side mirrors to be lowered, which accomplishes two things. For one, the lower angle lets you see far back behind the coach while still seeing your rear tires. With a higher mirror, typical to other brands, that higher angle doesn't allow you to see both at the same time without giving something up. Secondly, the lower mirror lets me see over the top, eliminating any blind spots at intersections by mirrors that might otherwise block the view of cross traffic.

The K3 chassis itself is legendary. Entegras are known for their quiet and comfortable ride while still being the best handling coach. The Cornerstone is no different there but I found the coach to be the most steady and stable I've driven. I think this is a combination of a number of things that make up the Cornerstone's chassis. First, the K3 is heavier and has a tag axle so any coach in that area will have an advantage over a lighter coach or non-tag axle coach. Entegra's X bracing and Hadley active air-ride help keep the coach upright with less lean. The heavy Bilstein shocks probably play into that as well. Those big fat 365 tires up front must also play a part in that I can put the coach anyplace on the road and it stays there. Normally if you encounter a pavement break, like when lanes shift in a construction zone and you are half on the shoulder, the front tires like to nudge to either side of the ridge. With this coach it just stays wherever you put it. It is so responsive that I just turn the wheel a bit and it install responds and goes wherever I point it. Naturally, the big 600HP engine is a treat to drive as well and merging into traffic or leaving arrest area is much less stressful now. The brakes are also excellent. Six wheel discs are the way to go. With rear drums they heat up and fade. If you are using them heavily, like in stop and go rush hour traffic jams, they don't cool off and you'll find yourself using more pedal pressure to stop the coach. With all discs that didn't happen and they stopped with minimal pedal pressure after 100 applications just as good as the first. The three speed Jake brake with that big 15 liter ISX engine also makes a big difference over the 9 liter ISLs I've driven. I can't wait to get this thing into the mountains around Yellowstone next month. The only downside I've seen to the K3 is that it throws a lot of heat out the back so whenever I go to unhook the towbar after a long run you get nice and warm. Should be great in winter.

As far as livability when not driving, that is a huge step up from our Allegro Bus. What initially impressed with Entegra me back in May of 2010 when I first got a peak inside the factory was how they were built. I saw the detail put into that construction and it impressed me. I also saw the level of insulation put into each coach and when I compared that to out Tiffin I was envious. So, I knew we were going to get an improvement in sound and heat transfer going to the Entegra but again, it far exceeded what I expected. The air conditioners are much quieter (at least inside the coach) and the airflow evenly falls out of the louvers whereas our last coach had smaller ducts and louvers, resulting in high velocity (aka - noisy) airflow. The coach is sealed up much better as well with no air whistles or the usual dirt blown in past the slideout seals while driving. The coach is much quieter so we can sleep in it without hearing near as much outside noise (trains, anyone? ) as we were used to. The air conditioning doesn't run near as much as it did in our Bus due to the better insulation. We're looking forward to some cold weather to see how much better that will be once the heat turns on.

The general quality of construction is stellar but after spending 3 weeks side by side with the production workers I can see why. They really do have the right attitude about doing things the right way and it shows in their workmanship.

Would I change things? Sure. If I had a custom Newell built to my specifications I'd probably still tinker with it after the fact because my nature is to perfect and optimize things. I think the new wet bay is great, as well as the new holding tank sizes. The Sanicon Turbo is nice and fast and the 3" slinky is there as well, although I would plumb an elbow to it to bring it out farther to the edge of the bay. I've already added a water pressure gauge and electric black tank flush solenoid to that panel.

I didn't care for the rear view camera and wanted something a bit better so I'm now installing a Total Vision system that I first saw when I was at Foretravel doing a write-up on the Realm. I've added an automatic fire suppression system in the engine compartment. I replace the small cargo slide tray where the smaller freezer used to be last year with a large one and installed a RoadWave pressure washer, water softener and iron filter in that tray.

I would love to have a steerable tag axle but there is no way I would give any of this other stuff up just for that. The steerable tag helps in a tight spot at a very low speed by reducing your turning radius but the times I could use that are probably less than 1/10 of a percent of the time driving so it's not a deal breaker. Plus I prefer the "big rig" look of Spartans tag axle wheels, which are normally mounted like the drive axle. With a steerable tag you have to go to the bus style look.

I am installing a power bed lift to make it easier to raise the bed for access to the storage space beneath. Leann and I can both do it manually but it'll be much more enjoyable to just press the rocker switch to raise the bed. That's phase 1. Phase 2 is to add the power bed headrest lift with wireless remote so that we can watch TV without having to stack up pillows.

I'm also not a fan of the Xite entertainment system. Actually, the entertainment part isn't bad but I don't like the Rand McNally GPS software. It's way to clunky and slow to operate. Reminds me of a 486 PC loaded with bloatware. I've replaced it with a Kenwood DNX571TR. This uses Garmin software and is designed for use with trucks or RVs. It is much faster and easier to use. I hate to say it but this is the same system that Tiffin uses on the Allegro Bus and it is better than Entegra's Xite system.

I love the floorplan of the 45A with the desk. Not a big fan of the non-desk version though. I think that the entertainment center is somewhat wasteful. It holds the fireplace (so does my desk) but has massive carved wood mantels surrounding it. It's tall and has a fixed TV on top. I like the power lift 50" TV in our desk. The standard system has room for a recliner alongside and has a small window. My desk has room to place the chair into the work area but has a nice 5' wide window to look out and let light in. The desk also has double the room of the standard cabinet to place the entertainment gear, such as DVR, AM-21, Bose system and Blu-Ray player. It also has a desk drawer and a filing cabinet. If it was me I'd make the desk standard. I'd also offer an option of a second couch in lieu of the desk and have the 50" TV on a power lift behind the couch and also that large 60" wide window. That would be a good option for some buyers, although that doesn't affect me personally.

We like the new under-counter LED lighting, quartz tops, and everything else about the interior.

Overall, not a whole lot we would change. We are in seventh heaven right now with this coach.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry...attempted humor. Should have known better.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #6

Cruzer, we have been reading every post you make for the last 10 months. We finally get to pick up our 16 Cornerstone next Friday. We literally placed the order 10 months ago, never having driven, stepped foot in any Entegra or seeing any up close and personal. Knew we wanted to upgrade, so we did alot if research and found Entegra. (Newmar a close 2nd) Several salesman suggest we purchase an Anthem but we were firm on sticking with the Cornerstone. We ate once at a little cafe called the Cornerstone and just knew it was fate..lol. We were lucky enough to get an invite to the plant dedication in June, made possible by our salesman Mike Hobson....Thanks Mike! We were in awe of the plant and all the employees who made us feel welcome, from top to bottom! So last week was truly exciting, after waiting forever, we drove our first Entegra. Friday is the big day...we bring her home to O H I O...yea!!
charinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charinlo View Post
Cruzer, we have been reading every post you make for the last 10 months. We finally get to pick up our 16 Cornerstone next Friday. We literally placed the order 10 months ago, never having driven, stepped foot in any Entegra or seeing any up close and personal. Knew we wanted to upgrade, so we did alot if research and found Entegra. (Newmar a close 2nd) Several salesman suggest we purchase an Anthem but we were firm on sticking with the Cornerstone. We ate once at a little cafe called the Cornerstone and just knew it was fate..lol. We were lucky enough to get an invite to the plant dedication in June, made possible by our salesman Mike Hobson....Thanks Mike! We were in awe of the plant and all the employees who made us feel welcome, from top to bottom! So last week was truly exciting, after waiting forever, we drove our first Entegra. Friday is the big day...we bring her home to O H I O...yea!!

Where in Ohio?
50sbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
What can I say. There's always something you can change on a motorhome. However, this Cornerstone is the best I've seen and a true dream come true.

The quality is typical Entegra. The difference between an Aspire, Anthem or Cornerstone is not that the Cornerstone is "better built". It's just the level of detail, features and décor that takes it up a notch. Although there is that K3 chassis. But the level of insulation, quality of construction, and all the other stuff that really matters doesn't vary between an Aspire and Cornerstone. The quality and type of construction is the same. You don't get a "cheaper" coach by going down to an Aspire. you just get a "less expensive" coach. There is a difference between those two terms.

The chassis does kick it up a notch. I've driven a lot of coaches, including Newells and Foretravels and I have to admit that the Cornerstone is still my favorite ride - and that's not just because we bought one. There's just something that is hard to put into words and describe but when I hop into the driver's seat everything just seems to fit like a glove. The seat is comfortable and the driving position is good. I love the huge windshield. Most coaches now have a large one piece windshield but Entegra's forward control design lowers the base of the windshield to minimize blind spots up close to the coach. One key feature is that this allows the side mirrors to be lowered, which accomplishes two things. For one, the lower angle lets you see far back behind the coach while still seeing your rear tires. With a higher mirror, typical to other brands, that higher angle doesn't allow you to see both at the same time without giving something up. Secondly, the lower mirror lets me see over the top, eliminating any blind spots at intersections by mirrors that might otherwise block the view of cross traffic.

The K3 chassis itself is legendary. Entegras are known for their quiet and comfortable ride while still being the best handling coach. The Cornerstone is no different there but I found the coach to be the most steady and stable I've driven. I think this is a combination of a number of things that make up the Cornerstone's chassis. First, the K3 is heavier and has a tag axle so any coach in that area will have an advantage over a lighter coach or non-tag axle coach. Entegra's X bracing and Hadley active air-ride help keep the coach upright with less lean. The heavy Bilstein shocks probably play into that as well. Those big fat 365 tires up front must also play a part in that I can put the coach anyplace on the road and it stays there. Normally if you encounter a pavement break, like when lanes shift in a construction zone and you are half on the shoulder, the front tires like to nudge to either side of the ridge. With this coach it just stays wherever you put it. It is so responsive that I just turn the wheel a bit and it install responds and goes wherever I point it. Naturally, the big 600HP engine is a treat to drive as well and merging into traffic or leaving arrest area is much less stressful now. The brakes are also excellent. Six wheel discs are the way to go. With rear drums they heat up and fade. If you are using them heavily, like in stop and go rush hour traffic jams, they don't cool off and you'll find yourself using more pedal pressure to stop the coach. With all discs that didn't happen and they stopped with minimal pedal pressure after 100 applications just as good as the first. The three speed Jake brake with that big 15 liter ISX engine also makes a big difference over the 9 liter ISLs I've driven. I can't wait to get this thing into the mountains around Yellowstone next month. The only downside I've seen to the K3 is that it throws a lot of heat out the back so whenever I go to unhook the towbar after a long run you get nice and warm. Should be great in winter.

As far as livability when not driving, that is a huge step up from our Allegro Bus. What initially impressed with Entegra me back in May of 2010 when I first got a peak inside the factory was how they were built. I saw the detail put into that construction and it impressed me. I also saw the level of insulation put into each coach and when I compared that to out Tiffin I was envious. So, I knew we were going to get an improvement in sound and heat transfer going to the Entegra but again, it far exceeded what I expected. The air conditioners are much quieter (at least inside the coach) and the airflow evenly falls out of the louvers whereas our last coach had smaller ducts and louvers, resulting in high velocity (aka - noisy) airflow. The coach is sealed up much better as well with no air whistles or the usual dirt blown in past the slideout seals while driving. The coach is much quieter so we can sleep in it without hearing near as much outside noise (trains, anyone? ) as we were used to. The air conditioning doesn't run near as much as it did in our Bus due to the better insulation. We're looking forward to some cold weather to see how much better that will be once the heat turns on.

The general quality of construction is stellar but after spending 3 weeks side by side with the production workers I can see why. They really do have the right attitude about doing things the right way and it shows in their workmanship.

Would I change things? Sure. If I had a custom Newell built to my specifications I'd probably still tinker with it after the fact because my nature is to perfect and optimize things. I think the new wet bay is great, as well as the new holding tank sizes. The Sanicon Turbo is nice and fast and the 3" slinky is there as well, although I would plumb an elbow to it to bring it out farther to the edge of the bay. I've already added a water pressure gauge and electric black tank flush solenoid to that panel.

I didn't care for the rear view camera and wanted something a bit better so I'm now installing a Total Vision system that I first saw when I was at Foretravel doing a write-up on the Realm. I've added an automatic fire suppression system in the engine compartment. I replace the small cargo slide tray where the smaller freezer used to be last year with a large one and installed a RoadWave pressure washer, water softener and iron filter in that tray.

I would love to have a steerable tag axle but there is no way I would give any of this other stuff up just for that. The steerable tag helps in a tight spot at a very low speed by reducing your turning radius but the times I could use that are probably less than 1/10 of a percent of the time driving so it's not a deal breaker. Plus I prefer the "big rig" look of Spartans tag axle wheels, which are normally mounted like the drive axle. With a steerable tag you have to go to the bus style look.

I am installing a power bed lift to make it easier to raise the bed for access to the storage space beneath. Leann and I can both do it manually but it'll be much more enjoyable to just press the rocker switch to raise the bed. That's phase 1. Phase 2 is to add the power bed headrest lift with wireless remote so that we can watch TV without having to stack up pillows.

I'm also not a fan of the Xite entertainment system. Actually, the entertainment part isn't bad but I don't like the Rand McNally GPS software. It's way to clunky and slow to operate. Reminds me of a 486 PC loaded with bloatware. I've replaced it with a Kenwood DNX571TR. This uses Garmin software and is designed for use with trucks or RVs. It is much faster and easier to use. I hate to say it but this is the same system that Tiffin uses on the Allegro Bus and it is better than Entegra's Xite system.

I love the floorplan of the 45A with the desk. Not a big fan of the non-desk version though. I think that the entertainment center is somewhat wasteful. It holds the fireplace (so does my desk) but has massive carved wood mantels surrounding it. It's tall and has a fixed TV on top. I like the power lift 50" TV in our desk. The standard system has room for a recliner alongside and has a small window. My desk has room to place the chair into the work area but has a nice 5' wide window to look out and let light in. The desk also has double the room of the standard cabinet to place the entertainment gear, such as DVR, AM-21, Bose system and Blu-Ray player. It also has a desk drawer and a filing cabinet. If it was me I'd make the desk standard. I'd also offer an option of a second couch in lieu of the desk and have the 50" TV on a power lift behind the couch and also that large 60" wide window. That would be a good option for some buyers, although that doesn't affect me personally.

We like the new under-counter LED lighting, quartz tops, and everything else about the interior.

Overall, not a whole lot we would change. We are in seventh heaven right now with this coach.
Thanks, Mark. I'll make a couple of those changes. Don't know about the raised head rest. Noel
Old 08-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

Coshocton. .about 80 miles east of Columbus. .
Old 08-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Sorry...attempted humor. Should have known better.
Dave, I took it as humor and I would love to save $50,000. Would give Lois more spending money. Noel
Old 08-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

Mark..which water softner did you use .
Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #12

We own the Anthem 44B, we've toured the Cornerstone 45B, can't see the cost difference. Took the factory tour. They are building 20 at a time now. Aspires, Anthems, Cornerstones all in a row. Same time devoted on each. Bang for the buck, Anthem stands.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
can't see the cost difference.
I've been looking at the two chassis for the last week in Charlotte and while I'm satisfied that the Anthem chassis is fine for my purposes, there's a whole lot more money spent on real substance in that Cornerstone chassis. The big a$$ engine, air leveling suspension, and rear disk brakes alone must make up a big chunk of the cost delta.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
We own the Anthem 44B, we've toured the Cornerstone 45B, can't see the cost difference. Took the factory tour. They are building 20 at a time now. Aspires, Anthems, Cornerstones all in a row. Same time devoted on each. Bang for the buck, Anthem stands.
Glad you like your Anthem. We like ours too, but sometimes you just have to move on up. Like the Jeffersons I guess! Noel