Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Orange Beach to New England

We are planning our first trip in August from Orange Beach AL to New England. This will be our first 3 month trip and I am totally intimidated by the planning, routing and choosing rv parks. Most of our plans and reservations are all set once we get to Maine and New Hampshire but need some recommendations along the way. We want to limit our driving to 4 to 5 hours per day. The first night I would like to stay near Auburn AL. I found a park called Auburn RV at Leisure Time. Any opinions on overnighting there? The second night I would like to stay somewhere directly on Lake Hartwell SC for up to 3 nights. I am having a hard time finding parks with decent reviews in that area. After that I would like to drive up 81 to say around Pulaski VA. Any first hand experiences would be appreciated. Thanks
jus80in is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
you've seen campgroundreviews.com and overnightrvparking.com? If not, these would probably be good resources.

I wouldn't fret over it too much. Until you hit the new york area... be sure to head over the tapanzee bridge, then through Connecticut and poof, you're there. It's worth it too....

I recently help someone route from MS to new england, I'll fig up the post and show you the route once you get up that way...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok here you go... you'll have to intercept my route at some point, but notice the first waypoint located above New York city, and route from there...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/new-y...nd-296990.html
Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
OH and also, this map you see when you sroll down in the thread ends at boston, but if you just continue around the outer loop, you'll hit the road up into Maine.

eat many lobsters...
Old 06-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #5

What part of Maine is your final destination?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have never stayed at any of the places in question. We have had good luck using campgroundreviews.com to check the rating and comments about parks along our way.

We use the app RV Parky to see parks along our intended route. We are bad about not making reservation while traveling, just call ahead where we will be that afternoon. That didn't work out too well last year, everything was full, a lot more people traveling now.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Check out Springfield. It's a corps park on Lake Hartwell in Anderson SC. It's about 10 mi. off 85. Nice park but is usually full on weekends. Weekdays are usually not a problem but reservations are recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467119391975.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	131515   Click image for larger version

Name:	1467119422512.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	131517  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1467119522763.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	131518  
Old 06-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus80in View Post
We are planning our first trip in August from Orange Beach AL to New England. This will be our first 3 month trip and I am totally intimidated by the planning, routing and choosing rv parks. Most of our plans and reservations are all set once we get to Maine and New Hampshire but need some recommendations along the way. We want to limit our driving to 4 to 5 hours per day. The first night I would like to stay near Auburn AL. I found a park called Auburn RV at Leisure Time. Any opinions on overnighting there? The second night I would like to stay somewhere directly on Lake Hartwell SC for up to 3 nights. I am having a hard time finding parks with decent reviews in that area. After that I would like to drive up 81 to say around Pulaski VA. Any first hand experiences would be appreciated. Thanks
In West Union,SC ..there is a great campground called Crooked Creek. RV Park....on a lake ,it isn't that far from the I-85,but for 3 days great spot...probably less than 1/2 hr off 85...not sure where Pulaski,Va is but...at the intersection or I-77 and I-81 there is a great campground Ft Chiswell campground off I-81 at exit 80...is in Max Meadow,Va..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

We stay at Ft Chiswell every time going north or south. Easy to get to and plenty of room. About $35.00 per night. Never had a problem getting in. It is one exit south of the big interchange. We found it by dumb luck and use it all the time. Might be exit 24. It is past the Flying J and over and down the hill on the left.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
We stay at Ft Chiswell every time going north or south. Easy to get to and plenty of room. About $35.00 per night. Never had a problem getting in. It is one exit south of the big interchange. We found it by dumb luck and use it all the time. Might be exit 24. It is past the Flying J and over and down the hill on the left.
It is at exit 80 off I-81....go north on 85 from West Union to I485 around Charlotte and up a I-77 to I-81...go west one short distance to exit 80...off ramp past Flying J 1/2 mile to campground. ..maybe 25 miles before Pulaski
How far do you want to go next day.....we do this run at least 3 Times a year..Chuck
Old 06-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
Agree with the above post. The problem with stopping for the night comes once you leave PA. We are originally from Maine and make the trip every summer from KY. Unless you venture off the planned route (we use I-81 to I-84 through NY, CN, I-495, MA, then I-95 to NH and ME.) It becomes a challenge to locate stopovers, so longer hours of driving may become necessary. Once you get to coastal ME, however, campgrounds located near the coastal areas can fill early and be very expensive. PM me if you wish, and I can be more specific as to possible stops after leaving PA.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Instead of auburn maybe a side trip to pine mountain callaway gardens. Would be a nicer camp ground and good place to visit.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
It is at exit 80 off I-81....go north on 85 from West Union to I485 around Charlotte and up a I-77 to I-81...go west one short distance to exit 80...off ramp past Flying J 1/2 mile to campground. ..maybe 25 miles before Pulaski
How far do you want to go next day.....we do this run at least 3 Times a year..Chuck
Next day'S run can be Falling Waters WVA to campground called Falling Waters at exit 23..distance from Ft Chiswell in Max Meadow 268 miles...Chuck
Old 06-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #14

Larry, I'm not sure of your route. If you'd provide that I might be able to give you some ideas especially as you get closer to Pa, NJ, NY , Ct and Mass.

What are your dates and are you stopping in our area as we talked about earlier ?

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote