Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cool OTR Mobile & Pepwave Router

I just took delivery of a new 2020 Anthem last month that has the Pepwave router installed. As I understand it, everything in the coach is connected to that router...TV's VegaTouch, Bose, etc... I like this part... I do not have the Winegard WiFi extender system on this coach.

However, I am now trying to get internet connectivity to the Pepwave. I have been looking closely at OTR Mobile (AT&T), including the Nighthawk MR1100 router. My intent would be to connect the Nighthawk to the Pepwave via ethernet cable (WAN Connection) to provide internet connectivity to the entire system.

Reviews of this system (OTR Mobile & Nighthawk) are generally good, but I wanted to inquire from folks that have a similar coach and Pepwave setup.

So, my question: Is anyone using this type of setup in their coaches ? Any "gotcha's" I should be aware of ??

Any reviews of the OTR and Nighthawk are also appreciated.

TIA for your help.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
On my 19 I have the AT&T Mobley hotspot. I have the prepwave connected wireless with the Mobley in the P/S front compartment over the windshield for better strength. Works great with this setup as I can monitor the MH from home using the Nebula app on the phone. About every 6 weeks I have to unplug the Mobley to reset it. but I am up to the MH to run the Aqua Hot every 30 days anyhow.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Take a look at this thread, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/best...es-442761.html. If you have a Pepwave you are mostly there. Turbo Pilot and Neil C seem to have the best answers on how to get internet on the road that I have found. Truth be told I haven't invested in the Cradlepoint and Pepwave yet but am seriously considering it before we head out from our winter digs here in AZ.

I know it is a very looong thread but the 1st couple of pages will paint an excellent picture of what you have and need for your internet.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The Nighthawk is a great MiFi router. But as mentioned you already have the router with a cellular modem built in.

You need the OTR SIM card, not another router. Put the SIM card in the Pepwave and you are all set.

P.S. I should add that I have no idea which Pepwave you have installed, but I assume it’s a current model with at least one SIM slot. That’s most likely the case.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Take a look at this thread, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/best...es-442761.html. If you have a Pepwave you are mostly there. Turbo Pilot and Neil C seem to have the best answers on how to get internet on the road that I have found. Truth be told I haven't invested in the Cradlepoint and Pepwave yet but am seriously considering it before we head out from our winter digs here in AZ.

I know it is a very looong thread but the 1st couple of pages will paint an excellent picture of what you have and need for your internet.
Thanks for the link . . .
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The Nighthawk is a great MiFi router. But as mentioned you already have the router with a cellular modem built in.

You need the OTR SIM card, not another router. Put the SIM card in the Pepwave and you are all set.

P.S. I should add that I have no idea which Pepwave you have installed, but I assume it’s a current model with at least one SIM slot. That’s most likely the case.
My Pepwave doesn't have a SIM slot. It will accept a USB modem, with SIM. I have the Pepwave Surf Soho
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
On my 19 I have the AT&T Mobley hotspot. I have the prepwave connected wireless with the Mobley in the P/S front compartment over the windshield for better strength. Works great with this setup as I can monitor the MH from home using the Nebula app on the phone. About every 6 weeks I have to unplug the Mobley to reset it. but I am up to the MH to run the Aqua Hot every 30 days anyhow.
I think is similar to what I'm trying to do, albeit with the Nighthawk, since the Mobley is no longer available.

I was hoping someone was using the Nighthawk with OTR Mobile to get a recommendation on that setup.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #8

Dr. Q-

I have the PepWave Surf SOHO. To make it active over the road, you can add a USB-connected cellular modem (a.k.a., "hotspot"), from your choice of carrier.

PepWave maintains a list of compatible cellular modems at this link. I see the Nighthawk (Netgear MR1100) is not listed. The list may not be up-to-date, which means other modems may work with the SOHO.

I assume that you have access to the administrator account on the PepWave, and know how to set up and monitor the connections it provides, all without disabling the functions provided to the coach. If that is not the case, then a wired Ethernet connection to a separate Internet router (like the Nighthawk) is an option. I like the simplicity of having the single PepWave SOHO router with USB-connected modem serve both my devices and my multiple connections to the Internet.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Dr. Q-

I have the PepWave Surf SOHO. To make it active over the road, you can add a USB-connected cellular modem (a.k.a., "hotspot"), from your choice of carrier.

PepWave maintains a list of compatible cellular modems at this link. The list may not be up-to-date, which means other modems may work with the SOHO.
Yes, I know about this option. Somehow, I can't believe that a simple USB Modem with a SIM slot is gonna give me the best internet connection.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have Pepwave Surf Soho wireless connected to the OTR Mobile / ATT Nighthawk MR1100 running without the battery - purchased @ best buy & Verizon prepaid 8800L and have had no issues with either.

Because I have two hotspot - It's easier to setup a primary and secondary wireless connection. I just put the hotspot by the window to keep cool and not in the cabinet.

Been using the OTR Mobile setup for 2 weeks "35 to 115 Mbps download" and so far it has performed better that the Verizon prepaid hotspot "25 to 90 download Mbps" - but just depends on location.

My 2 cents - OTR is the best available option at this point for AT&T and will be keeping it.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:42 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
So the Netgear Nighthawk is a "Mobile Hotspot" aka "Jetpack" aka "MiFi", etc. On it's own it connects to a cellular data network (apparently AT&T) and provides routing and connectivity to the internet for up to 20 devices.

It can also be used just as a "WAN" device (uplink to the internet) by connecting to your PepWave Surf SOHO. The Nighthawk supports three ways to do that, Ethernet cable, USB tethering cable and "Wifi as WAN". WiFi as WAN is the easiest (no wires) but may induce a small performance hit compared to the other two options.

So what you want to do should work fine. I have an older Pepwave and USB tether it to my Unite Explore (with Mobely SIM), which is the predecessor to the Nighthawk. All my devices on the coach connect to the PepWave, makes it easy if you want to switch over to campground wifi for the uplink. The only complaint I have is my old Pepwave doesn't support simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5Ghz WiFi bands, but I think your Surf SOHO might.

You may want to check if the Nighthawk can accept an external antenna as that may help improve signal reception in fringe areas. But generally we have found AT&T to have pretty good coverage. Can't say what the limitations of OTR Mobile might be from a service perspective, but hardware wise you are on a good path.

If you haven't already you may want to check out RV Mobile Internet, lots of great info there on the many options for achieving internet access while on the road. To start with here's their review of the Nighthawk. Also I believe RVInternet Members can get a 10% initial discount on the equipment with OTR Mobile.

You could also take a look at more advanced products like the WiFi Ranger lineup and go with OTR Mobile SIM only option.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:48 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Cool Just what I needed.....

Thanks for the detailed posts... This is the info I was looking for; someone who is using the system already.

OTR Mobile has the Nighthawk MR1100 and the SIM card on their website, I will probably go with them for the system.... It might cost a bit more, but I like having only one of contact for the system, without finger pointing at another failure point in the system.

Thanks again.....

Dr. Q
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-26-2020, 05:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
You may want to check if the Nighthawk can accept an external antenna as that may help improve signal reception in fringe areas.
The Nighthawk has two TS9 ports "same as the 8800L" for an external antenna. There are several options that you can use. I have this option if i needed - used it once in the last 18 mts in western WI at a campground in a valley.

Also I can just use the antenna without the booster depending on the locations.

Wilson Electronics 17” / 32” / 45” 4G Truck and RV Spring-Mount Antenna w/ 14 ft. RG58 cable, SMA Male Connector
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SMA -TS9 Adapter SMA Female to Y Type 2 X TS9 Male Angle Connector Splitter Combiner Pigtail Cable RG316 15CM RF Wire

weBoost Drive 4G-X RV (470410) Cell Phone Signal Booster for Your RV or Motorhome – Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint - Enhance Your Cell Phone Signal up to 32x
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180907_153118.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	273290  
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Thanks for the detailed posts... This is the info I was looking for; someone who is using the system already.

OTR Mobile has the Nighthawk MR1100 and the SIM card on their website, I will probably go with them for the system.... It might cost a bit more, but I like having only one of contact for the system, without finger pointing at another failure point in the system.

Thanks again.....

Dr. Q
Makes sense, and from what I've read unlike many other plans their "unlimited" is without significant restrictions. Just be aware that MVNO's like this that seem to have a superior offering tend to come and go with the wind. I think I've been thru three since 2011 and they can disappear with little to no warning. Just saying keep your finger on the pulse of the market and have a backup plan.

Also save the packaging for the Nighthawk, when you upgrade to the next greatest thing next year the old will still likely have a pretty strong secondary market (ebay, etc.). Lost count of how many I've resold over the years.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route