Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
aza

Over inflation tire pressures during travel

2019 Entegra Anthem -- I know I should find an answer to my question in the forum but can't. My issue is that I inflate my front (steering) tires to the recommended 120 psi prior to making a trip. During the trip (in 60 degree outside air temperature) the pressure in both tires increases to 155 PSI. I can only imagine that the tire pressure at 100 degrees OAT during the summer will be close to 200. Might I experience a blow out due to overinflation?
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #2

I look forward to an answer, I have same issue.
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
2019 Entegra Anthem -- I know I should find an answer to my question in the forum but can't. My issue is that I inflate my front (steering) tires to the recommended 120 psi prior to making a trip. During the trip (in 60 degree outside air temperature) the pressure in both tires increases to 155 PSI. I can only imagine that the tire pressure at 100 degrees OAT during the summer will be close to 200. Might I experience a blow out due to overinflation?
What was the outside temp when you inflated the tires. For car tires each 10 degrees increase equals about 1 psi increase

And what was the altitude change?
PS56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I set my tire pressure twice a year.

In June I wait for a 90 degree day and set my pressures. Then in the fall about October when it's about 50 degrees I'll set them again.

We've travelled on days that when we left home it was 110 degrees and ended the day at 60 degrees up in the Sierra mountains.

In the winter we've gone from 65 degrees down to 25 degrees.

I check my pressure every morning but don't adjust it, I just look for one tire way out of range with the others.

We go from 380 feet to about 6,500 feet and the altitude affects the pressure too.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

This is interesting....does your TPMS also show temperature? I read about another owner with this problem, and his turned out to be dragging brakes on the front which increased temperature and pressure of the tire.

Front wheel bearings going bad or starved for oil could also heat the front wheels.

Do you have an infrared temperature gun? You could also check temps this way.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why worry so much? There is Black vs White pavement. There is the North vs the South facing tires. There is the issue of who uses brakes and who uses downshifting. Uneven loading or different loading from stop to stop. Too many variables.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

You say you inflated your steers to the "recommended tire pressures". I am wondering what exactly did you mean? Do you mean that some dealer or some other coach owner recommended some pressure, or some other owner recommended a specific tire pressure. Please clarify.

Now my belief is that there is no such thing as a recommended tire pressure. To me, the only issues are the loads (weight) that the tires are dealing with, and second, the tire pressure versus loads recommended by the tire manufacturer. There is no one appropriate tire pressure. Also, it all depends on the tire size and manufacturers recommendation.

Could you clarify what you mean and how that pressure was chosen?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Without the corner weights and tire size, it’s hard to say, but it seems you might be starting out a lot higher than necessary. I wouldn’t be comfortable with pressure in the 150psi range either.

As an example, a Michelin 365/70 can carry 9000 lbs at 105psi.

I’d refer to this site: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/ for a more definitive answer.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #9
aza

60 degrees just before leaving on a 300 mile trip
Old 04-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #10
aza

My Vega touch tpm does not work. Many times at spartan to repair and it can't be fixed. I purchased a monitor system on Amazon and it works great, thus alerting me to the issue
Old 04-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #11
aza

120 is on the plackard in the coach, also consulted Spartan.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
120 is on the plackard in the coach, also consulted Spartan.
Ok, well that pressure may be unnecessary. To find out you have to have weights, and go with the heaviest side. So if you are at 8500 on the drivers side and 8900 on the pass, look up your tire size and go with the the recommended inflation for that tire/load. You might be able to lower your pressure 10-15lbs to start which will help. You have a 20,000lb front axle, but might only be carrying 16,000lbs. Could make a difference.

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/...ionrvtruck.pdf

I would also recommend manually checking your tire pressures with a good quality truck tire pressure gauge against the reading from your TPMS. Especially when you are reading 155psi. A TPMS is good for noting changes but may not be calibrated precisely or accurate enough to give reliable pressures. I might invest in a TPMS but I wouldn’t rely on it for accurate information - it would be strictly to warn of significant tire deflation.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #13

Of course the tire pressure is going to go up.
Road friction itself will increase the heat.
That is normal.
Why are you checking it while travelling?

Tire pressure should be check in the morning at Ambient outside temp.

Use your TPS as an instrument to tell you when your pressure is getting dangerously low.

NEVER ever check your tires while travelling!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone ever watch a "Pro" "sound" his tires at a rest area or truck stop?

Tags
tire, tire pressure, travel