Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #1

Paint and clear coat question

When at EC last, forgot to ask about paint. Specifically, touch up paint. IIRC, EC does not offer paint, but not sure.
I was wondering if anyone who had work done at Precision Paint or other shops that paint/repair EC can supply touch up paint. I’ve not had contact with any of their preferred vendors but I know many here have.

Reason: clear coat on top of coach is peeling off. Only noticeable when on the roof. I know I can sand and apply a two part clear coat. Most of the base color is there but a little faded.
Good part, it is a solid color. Off the shelf color matching will be worse than if I applied clear coat only.
I know I could go to a body shop with the paint codes but it will be expensive.
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #2

I had more than a small number of paint spots worked on during my 2.5 (COVID+Surgery delay) but I got no additional or supplemental paint samples.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
There is at least one place on the web that sells Sikkens touch up kits…

https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-...,79183/details

That’s just a random kit I found.
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #4

S&S did some work for me and they did a good job. Their phone number is (574)862-7924

They might be able to help you

Located in Wakurusa Indiana
Old 10-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #5

You are really bringing up two different thing, touch-up paint and clear coat repair.

Touch-up paint is usually a single stage paint that dries to match the color and gloss of the original two stage paint. It is meant for small areas like minor scratches and dings.

Clear coat repair is another matter. Yes, you can buy clear coat and apply it over OEM paint, but it will fail within a relatively short time. Two stage paints are designed to be applied together within a short time. The color coat and clear coat must form their bond before the color coat has completely cured. This is why a pro shop will reapply a base coat of color before applying the clear coat. It is also why it is so expensive to have a small area of clear redone properly.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Our 2016 came with 4 bottles of paint for touchup purposes. They were in a plastic bag in the drawer with all the remotes.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #7

Larry is correct, the only right way to fix the clear coat is to start over with base coat/clear coat. Mine was badly peeled and faded so I did just that, with a HVLP gravity feed paint gun from Amazon and 2 stage paint from Finishmaster. The prep and masking took a long time but I had plenty of time on my hands and the results were very pleasing. The old base coat should be sanded and sealed before applying new. My rig is only 25.5 feet so it wasn't too much work and it was indoors which did help but still totally doable outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad paint.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	347345   Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	347346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210718_124659.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	347347  
Old 10-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Reason: clear coat on top of coach is peeling off. Only noticeable when on the roof. I know I can sand and apply a two part clear coat. Most of the base color is there but a little faded.
Good part, it is a solid color. Off the shelf color matching will be worse than if I applied clear coat only.
I know I could go to a body shop with the paint codes but it will be expensive.
Not something I normally recommend,....
If the clear coat is failing in a small area, and it is confined to the top of the coach. IE, not really visible form the street view. If however, the clear has failed over a large area, say over 12" or now, have it fully repaired. If your clear coat damage looks like Bigb56, do what he did.

Might I suggest sanding the failing clear with 800 grit paper, with lots of water. Go slow, and do not cut through the color coat. Dry and mask off an area 3-6 inches larger than the repair. Apply 2K clear https://www.amazon.com/Spraymax-Clea...NsaWNrPXRydWU= over the area, while staying just shy of the feather sanded edge. Then apply a spray blend agent, such as https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This will activate the old clear, and allow it to melt into new clear.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #9

What Cruzer said. If you did not buy the coach new. I would look around. There should be small cans and small plastic bottles somewhere. Or maybe where you purchased it has them.
Poppedclams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the input and advise. The area is the top of the rear cap and the very top of the front cap. Guessing’14’s may be experiencing the same.
If it were lower and visible, it would be done properly in a professional shop.
Unless I can get the color match from S and S, I will probably sand and apply clear coat as best I can. Just trying to avoid it progressively getting worse which it will if I do nothing.
Thanks again!
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Thanks for the input and advise. The area is the top of the rear cap and the very top of the front cap. Guessing’14’s may be experiencing the same.
If it were lower and visible, it would be done properly in a professional shop.
Unless I can get the color match from S and S, I will probably sand and apply clear coat as best I can. Just trying to avoid it progressively getting worse which it will if I do nothing.
Thanks again!
Test a small area first, some paints (Lacquers) when applied over existing paint (enamel) will "lift" the existing paint and you'll have a real mess on your hands.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Test a small area first, some paints (Lacquers) when applied over existing paint (enamel) will "lift" the existing paint and you'll have a real mess on your hands.
That's true but Entegra uses a Sikkens polyurethane enamel, like most coaches now do although some are BASF or DuPont Chromabase. The two part paints are tough enough that other paints won't eat them up. Plain Alkyd enamel or lacquer are pretty much history. I haven't sprayed that stuff in about 40 years.

By the way, if you find your original touch up paint and it turns out that it has started to dry out and turn to a gel you can make it fluid again with a bit of nail polish (which is Acetone).
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #13

Good time to mention that by using 303 Protection on the front and rear caps plus the radius 3 times a year will take care of the clear coat for 10 plus years.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
By the way, if you find your original touch up paint and it turns out that it has started to dry out and turn to a gel you can make it fluid again with a bit of nail polish (which is Acetone).
I think you meant to say nail polish "remover"?

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint