Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #1

Paint checking

Anyone have to deal with paint checking on an Entegra yet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp5151 View Post
Anyone have to deal with paint checking on an Entegra yet?
Can you post a picture or 2?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #3

I have a 2014 Aspire with paint cracking and spidering out. If that is the same as paint checking, then I have the same issue.
gasman405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

I have a lot of stone bruises (chips) but haven't seen 'spiders'. The paint shop says that it would be easy to pick out the repairs if they were to touch up the chips. Has anyone tried to touch them up and had it work OK?
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo123316 View Post
I have a lot of stone bruises (chips) but haven't seen 'spiders'. The paint shop says that it would be easy to pick out the repairs if they were to touch up the chips. Has anyone tried to touch them up and had it work OK?
I touch up my rock chips with the touch up paint supplied with the coach. They can be seen, but not as noticeable as the underneath light color showing in the chips. I thinned the paint with lacquer thinner and use a fine tip artist brush, then use my thumb to feather the paint. Some of the touch ups are hard to find, others you can see if you get up close, but not near as bad as no touch ups.

Curious on the coaches that are showing checking, are they stored outside or inside? This is the first I have heard of any checking.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

No checking on our 2014 Anthem but lots of chiped paint especially on the black areas I bought a black paint pen it works great the paint is thin and with the felt applicator you can be very precise with the touch up
1thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #7

Paint checking in this case is when heat causes the bubbles in fiberglass under the paint to expand and "blow up" causing the paint to Crack and sometimes split badly. Paint crazing is what most of you are describing.
There was a problem in the past with the way the fiberglass caps and skin were made...with the dark colors that are so prevalent these days and the dark colors getting so hot..which causes the bubbles in the poor quality fiberglass to pop. Other brands of motorhomes have been affected. The paint shops I have contacted say they can fix the appearance but will not guarantee it, they all have said that the fizzures/cracks will return in a few months to a few years; it's an on going problem.
lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #8

Checking caused by bad fiber glass, looks like finger nail clippings and usually starts in the dark coiors.

I had checking occur on my Mt. Aire after about 8 years. Newmar re-sided the coach with different fiberglass, new paint of course. I paid about 30%
of the cost.

Looks brand

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint