RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Parking the MH

Anyone with experience please chime in. I want to leave my slides out for awhile while parked at home and hooked to 30 amp service - so here is the question. Its freezing here and I want to put the leveling jacks down with the slides out will there be any issues. Also want to us the electric heat from the Aquahot sys. Do you keep the engine block heated plugged in. Do you run the diesel side of the Aquahot to heat the floors.

For those that travel in cold weather do you run your Aquahot to heat the floors while driving so that when you arrive at you camp site the tile floors are already warm?

My old coach were jacks down and plugged in for the time I needed and then slides in and no extra heat since it was a propane heater.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Anyone with experience please chime in. I want to leave my slides out for awhile while parked at home and hooked to 30 amp service - so here is the question. Its freezing here and I want to put the leveling jacks down with the slides out will there be any issues. Also want to us the electric heat from the Aquahot sys. Do you keep the engine block heated plugged in. Do you run the diesel side of the Aquahot to heat the floors.

For those that travel in cold weather do you run your Aquahot to heat the floors while driving so that when you arrive at you camp site the tile floors are already warm?

My old coach were jacks down and plugged in for the time I needed and then slides in and no extra heat since it was a propane heater.

Thanks
Not sure how cold it is where you will be but found that with only the floor tile on electric and low it will keep it from freezing.

While traveling south last year woke up one morning and it was 7 degrees outside. Slides were out, electric plugged in, water not connected.

Had the floor tile on low, fireplace on all night, but neglected to turn on diesel heat. Tile was heated by electric only.

Inside only got down to 65, slightly lower in rear, basement was about 60, did not even come close to freezing.

It does take a while to get the tile heated so if needed turn it on hours before you will need the heat.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, I do that, but only if it will be cool all day long. The floors take a long time to cool off, so if you heat them and then the weather becomes warm, they will cause it to be hot inside your coach for hours.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

I don't hesitate to use the jacks in the cold.

Like ours said, electric heat might be fine as long as it is not an extended cold/windy well below freezing.

The best part is unless it's zero outside, the temperatures won't change that fast inside the coach. So no harm in trying electric only, just keep an eye on basement and inside temps.

I've never tried to find the breaking point, I just know that basement around 50 will not only save you from freezing tanks and lines down there, but also stay warm enough during a day drive to not freeze anything. At least in anything single digits and above.

An occasional drop to upper 20's with highs in the 30's & 40's and you probably would be fine without any heat.

No need for the engine block heater until the night before you decide to leave. Not sure about the ISX, but my ISL doesn't need the block heater on unless the temperature is zero or below. It starts great (not slow, or any smoke) in single digits without any preheat.

Steve
Old 11-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks
Your Cornerstone Aquahot has a motor assist loop to the engine so you are circulating heated antifreeze while you are driving. You do not need to run the diesel side of the AH. Just set your thermostats/floor heat and the aquahot will keep the coach warm via the engine heat.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

No only can you put the jacks down but you can air level. I use the engine loop when traveling mainly using zone 1 and the floors Zone 2. I also use the generator and run the electric so the basement stays warm. You really need to monitor the basement temps if you are going to use electric only in windy, frigid conditions. The electric on in the basement and a space heater in the main coach will work at home. I do not run the engine block heater in ours till deep freeze with sub temps. Keep an eye on your aqua hot boiler fluid. I put diesel service anti-gel in the fuel and just put the first bottle in this weekend.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #7

Do be careful of leaving the slides out in cold weather. Rain one day and freezing the next means ice will form in puddles on your slide toppers. Then you cannot retract until ALL the ice is off or you will damage them. I try to not let ANY snow or ice accumulate on the toppers.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
This is the result of several days of snow, melt a little, freeze and repeat cycles. There was about 1/2” of ice visible on the edges of the slide toppers. It was 4-5” thick in the middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5062.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	265943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5063.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	265944
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking