Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #29
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
So... has anyone with a standard (non-commercial) EZPass account used their account with an RV over 15,000 lbs? Seems ridiculous to have to set up a commercial account for a MH, and how would they know anyway? It's not like you stop & get weighed...
Yes. What state is doing that? You do not need to get yours from the state where you live. I got a Florida EPassXtra which is used in the motor home. It works on E-ZPass, Florida's SunPass, and Georgia's PeachPass as well.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #30

This whole discussion is interesting. A number of years ago the Ohio Turnpike used to charge tolls by weight and length. If you enter from the PA Tpk westbound you can still see the remnants of the scales and pavement markings for length at that toll plaza. Some of the narrowest toll booths I've ever seen. Now PA is going that way? Suspicious as I am, I wonder how the new PA toll rates compare to the old ones for 5 axle rigs running 40k or so with a 5k toad. Bet it's just a way to squeeze more blood from the same stone. Just another reason to do a little toll free routing, even if it takes a bit longer and a few more miles. BTW for those pulling a toad across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, did you realize you can save 10 dollars a trip by simply separating the rig and toad? How's that for sticking it to the truckers and unsuspecting RV'ers?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #31

x3 .... I'm a single malt Scotch man...

You can get a deeded square inch of Isle of Islay for every bottle of Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch you buy..... I must own about a quarter acre buy now. ------

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #32

I recommend an app called Toll Guru.
It allows you to configure your vehicle and plug in fuel mileage and average price per gallon.
When you plug in the start and destination it will suggest routes and show the cost.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I recommend an app called Toll Guru.
It allows you to configure your vehicle and plug in fuel mileage and average price per gallon.
When you plug in the start and destination it will suggest routes and show the cost.
No disrespect to anyone here but when it gets down to having to disconnect to go across a bridge or go a different way and lose even a hour I'm just going to park the bus and stay home. Hopefully my kids won't need that $10 fifteen years from now.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure a lot of money to ride on poorly maintained roads. Just stay off and enjoy the scenery.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #35

.... and start and stop at stop signs and intersections, and start and stop repeatedly at traffic lights every two blocks, and negotiate winding back country Pennsylvania and West Virginia two lane roads, and start and stop at stop signs and traffic lights, and follow the farmers moving up and down highways with their tractors and equipment and the trucks climbing hills at 35 mph. Great!!

Sadly, there is not a lot that parallels the PA Turnpike which is part of the reason that they charge what they do. I have gone down into West Virginia and Virginia to bypass the turnpike south. Often, I am heading north of Pittsburgh and I-80 spans the entire state and gets you on course for New York and all of New England for free. Its been a long time since I have traveled from the east to west borders of Pennsylvania on the Turnpike, but when that makes sense again, that will be what I take.

Gary
Old 08-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Thanks for the suggested routes to MD. I will be writing them down a looking at the map!

Happy travels!!
As we travel to Colorado often - and live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - I too have used the Suggested Route for over 20 years - Biggest Issue will be the condition of the Eastern Ohio I-70 - IT IS A DISASTER!!!!!!!

The Maryland portion is still pretty good with just bridge transitions being an issue on occasion. I-79 is still good with some construction, if I recall around Washington, PA.

We needed to visit my brother in West Virginia and found a pretty good road through the country till WV. I-64.

If congress wanted to do something for the country to stimulate things, an Infrastructure bill would surely help, the multiplier of highway projects is extremely high, but only if it was used for the Infrastructure.

Enjoy the drive, I-68's rolling hills are memorable
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
As we travel to Colorado often - and live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - I too have used the Suggested Route for over 20 years - Biggest Issue will be the condition of the Eastern Ohio I-70 - IT IS A DISASTER!!!!!!!
Last year we drove out to Yellowstone from Michigan. We were going to go the over the top route but I was leary of the road in Wisconsin, which turned out to be a mistake, so we went under Chicago on 80 and then up 29 to 90 then out on 90. What amazes me was the quality of the roads in Iowa, South Dakota and Montana.

Ohio, Indiana and Illinois blame the condition of the roads on the weather. The freezing and snow plowing required. It must not ever freeze in SD, IA or MT. From washboards to ironing boards describes the difference. Apparently the graft system works better in SD and MT than it does in OH,IL,IN and PA. You would think it would be the other way around as OH,IL,IN and PA have had longer time to perfect it. Maybe it the greed factor at work.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yes. What state is doing that? You do not need to get yours from the state where you live. I got a Florida EPassXtra which is used in the motor home. It works on E-ZPass, Florida's SunPass, and Georgia's PeachPass as well.

Ray
Pennsylvania... Maybe I should consider choosing an out-of-state option.

As to road conditions, the sections of PA Turnpike I use are pretty decent. And it is often a more pleasant and less congested route. The only downside is if there is a major accident, exit options are few and far between.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #39

You can buy an iPass from Indiana State and use it anywhere that accepts/uses the EZPass. Very easy.

Gary
Old 08-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
You can buy an iPass from Indiana State and use it anywhere that accepts/uses the EZPass. Very easy.

Gary
Thanks Gary! I'll check it out...
Old 08-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #41

Just Google iPASS and you can get everything done including the transponder/transponders via the mail.

Gary
Old 08-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #42

A caveat for EZ Pass holders while traveling in Flowriduh. The EZ Pass only works on certain toll roads in FLA, Sunpass tolls do not accept EZPass, CFX roads do. Not sure about the other (5?) toll agencies in the state.

An E Pass Extra from the CFX toll agency will work at all EZ Pass sites as well as almost all FLA sites. After doing a bit of research, this is what I went with.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote