Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 11:37 AM   #1

Pepwave

My Pepwave router every 5-7 days drops the connection to our Vegatouch and I am unable to connect to the Vegatouch remotely. Firefly said I probably need to replace the router but they are no longer available.
1) thoughts on the need to replace the router?
2) if they are unavailable from Firefly, what do I do?
Steve Mindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2023, 12:57 PM   #2

Recurrent failures like that can be the router for sure. But years ago, not so much recent builds as the firmware has improved.

Here's what you can do to test things. Buy one of those AC timers, mechanical type will do, and have it shut off power to the router once every 24 hours for 5 minutes. At 2-3 AM. Or, once a week if you find a timer that allows it. They are often available in thrift stores for a buck or two.

Then, see if the issue goes away. If it doesn't, then it's not likely the router.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:14 PM   #3

On the Pepwave SOHO you can get the unit to reboot on it's own every 24 hrs. If you do a google search there are steps that will walk you through setting the reboot up.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:55 PM   #4

You will have to keep resetting if you can’t find a replacement. You might try replacing the power supply and see if that doesn’t help out. That’s usually what goes bad first. It’s always on and changing the voltage to operate the router.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:54 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Agreeing with Bobby. I put a temp controlled cooling fan blowing on the power supply and router that someone here recommended. It gets hot in the basement with no air circulation. I'd try a new power supply and hope that works.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:53 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Do any of your other networked devices drop out?

Jim HiTek's timer suggestion is a good one.

Are we talking about a wifi or Ethernet connection between the VT and Pepwave? I'm assuming wifi?

I wonder if maybe setting the VT device with a static IP or DHCP reservation in the router would help.

I don't know much about the Firefly or router setup on your coach but it would seem to me any router with similar features could do the job. Why are you locked in to that particular brand/model?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:25 AM   #7

Thanks. Great idea.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:27 AM   #8

Great idea. Thanks
Old 03-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #9

Bob, I just loose the Wi-Fi. The Vegatouch does not pick up and networks. This makes it so I can not connect remotely. I guess I am not locked to the Firefly sourced router but it is what was supplied in our 2020 Anthem. When I reboot the routed, Vegatouch shows a static ip address. Thanks for your input and if you can think of anything else, please let me know.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:08 PM   #10

If the VT has a static IP you can check the Pepwave to make sure that the IP is reserved for the VT Nebula MAC address. Assuming you know the admin password for the Pepwave.
If there is a reservation in the Pepwave for that MAC of the VT it should pick up the signal as it will try to communicate to that IP. But if no reservation exists then another device can grab that IP address and cause a conflict so the VT nebula module would not reconnect.
Another way is to increase the IP assignment time out value to the highest possible # for the IP that is assigned to the VT Nebula. It will then be more likely to be able to renew the lease without contention.
Basically you're making it so that address can only be used by the VT Nebula module.
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:27 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mindt View Post
Bob, I just loose the Wi-Fi. The Vegatouch does not pick up and networks. This makes it so I can not connect remotely. I guess I am not locked to the Firefly sourced router but it is what was supplied in our 2020 Anthem. When I reboot the routed, Vegatouch shows a static ip address. Thanks for your input and if you can think of anything else, please let me know.
Does your Pepwave have the latest firmware?
https://www.peplink.com/support/downloads/
Could be an issue that was fixed in a firmware update.

Maybe a good idea to talk to Pepwave about that and see if they have any other suggestions.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:54 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Steve - I agree with starting with making sure you are on the latest firmware.

I make sure nothing connects to my coach router. Except the vegatouch.

I just have better experience with connecting any other devices to my to my wifi source.
TV’s, Apple TV, phones, tablets, laptops, Alexa echo, temp alarm, leak detection, etc…. If I use any connected tech in the coach I keep it off the coach router. Things just work better going straight to the internet source and the coach router works better with nothing on it.

What we really need is the vegatouch to be able to use any internet source we give it.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote