RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Phone Jacks

Greetings all,

This question is for all those Cornerstone Classic owners. I would like to know how/if a phone jack can be installed either in the kitchen area or in the area beneath the kitchen TV. There is a phone jack in the aquahot bay and there is another phone jack in behind the TV in the bedroom.

Thank yoi.
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesha View Post
Greetings all,

This question is for all those Cornerstone Classic owners. I would like to know how/if a phone jack can be installed either in the kitchen area or in the area beneath the kitchen TV. There is a phone jack in the aquahot bay and there is another phone jack in behind the TV in the bedroom.

Thank yoi.
Gotta ask it. Why? I don't believe we have ever been at a RV resort, park, or campground that offered land line access. It's old technology I don't know why they even included it in the coach. I don't think there is any other use for the jacks.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I teleworking and rather be connected by ethernet vice wife. I am not the point of traveling full time yet.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Suzzanne,
I had a phone jack in the couch area, but I don't remember if it was the 14. I know the Travel Supreme had one. Getting a phone jack into the kitchen would be easy, it's right behind the outdoor TV. Move the TV out of the way, that's the kitchen cabinets behind it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I teleworking and rather be connected by ethernet vice wife. I am not the point of traveling full time yet.
First, standard phone cable is typically CAT 3 and will not support Ethernet. Your need CAT 5 or better wiring for Ethernet. Are the phone jacks 4 or 6 pins? Ethernet uses eight pin, 4 pair wire.

Second, even if you have CAT 5 cable plus required data jacks installed what do you plan to connect to on the outside of the RV for Ethernet service? In most cases the options to get Ethernet into a structure, RV or a building includes: 1) Land line phone service with a modem, not common in most RV parks any more; 2) Cable provider via either coax or fiber optic cable, like Comcast/XFinity; 3) Using a hot spot of some from based on cell service; 4) Satellite provider, Starlink will be providing high speed cell service and thus conversion to Ethernet; and 5) Ground based wireless, as in many RV parks (usually not sufficient for business activities) or provided by a wireless service provider in the local area.

Many RVers working from their rigs rely on some version of a cell based (hot spot) solution. But this requires a strong cell signal. You may need to have unlimited data plans from two or more cell carries to attain reliable service in most areas. NEVER count on WiFi from an RV park to do business on. First few will be fast enough and network security is very questionable.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Now I'm really curious. Your teleworking, are you using a modem instead of high speed cable? Phone jacks are not Cat5.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I had AT&T install a phone line. The modem is in the bedroom on the dresser, basically I want to connect my work computer to the modem. The phone line is connected to the modem now.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like DSL maybe?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Broadband
Old 01-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
I had AT&T install a phone line. The modem is in the bedroom on the dresser, basically I want to connect my work computer to the modem. The phone line is connected to the modem now.
You would probably be better to just run a separate wire from the modem to your computer. A wire can be purchased in almost any length off Amazon. In our house, I installed 2 - 100 foot Ethernet wires from my moden (I am on a line-of-site system, not cable or through a phone lan line, and not via satellite). Each line goes to a different room, and we still have wifi. In the house we have one desktop computer running 24x7 and connected, thus the reason for the Ethernet line.

You may find it easier to just run a line along the walls, over the doors and windows and to the location where your work station is. When we had satellite television in our previous camper, that's how I ran the wire from the dish, to the receiver and from the receiver to the television. After several attempted failures using the wires in the camper, I just fed the line through the window and down the hall to the television.

This might be an easier solution.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I would be surprised if the Phone Jack in the Aqua Hot area is not set up for RJ45, especially if it was ran to behind the TV. I have not looked close enough at mine to see if it is actually a "phone" jack, or RJ45 jack? Need to take a look.

I know a standard phone jack will fit into a RJ 45, but the cat 5 plug will not fit into a standard phone wall jack?

I understand wanting the cable connection if your broadband will deliver the speed greater than the WIFI speed.

I have stayed at several of the nicer resorts that do have the option for high speed at the site, some free, and some for an additional charge.
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, phone