Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
So are you saying that, even tho I have the factory installed extra solar panels, my batteries are not getting any charge since they go to float charging? When I asked about them at the delivery I was told I didn't need to do anything - they were pretty much self maintaining. Bad info? And please bear in mind that the only thing Rick and I know about solar is that it requires sun to work. And you really don't want to know how we learned that lesson. [emoji849]
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
So are you saying that, even tho I have the factory installed extra solar panels, my batteries are not getting any charge since they go to float charging? When I asked about them at the delivery I was told I didn't need to do anything - they were pretty much self maintaining. Bad info? And please bear in mind that the only thing Rick and I know about solar is that it requires sun to work. And you really don't want to know how we learned that lesson. [emoji849]
You will still be getting a few amps worth of charge even after the batteries go to Float or the charger shows “full charge” but not enough to overcome the 12v usage from water pump, Aquahot, lights, etc.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattman-Litlboy View Post
I just called Lifeline, and the CS rep told me that he owns a Tiffin, and he equalized annually as I described. It does no harm!
JimAttachment 232987
Jim, now what I am posting is just for fun and in no way meant to question or doubt what you were told by the Lifeline rep.

Couple of years ago when I bought my Lifelines I called them on several questions I had. One of them regarding Equalization of the Lifeline.battery. The person I talked with was the son or grandson of the Lifeline owner or founder. I was told he also had a 3 year old Tiffin, like you were told, with Lifeline batteries and that he had Never Equalized them. Opposite. I posted this about two years ago. Likely the same person we each talked with.

We now have each received opposite advice. I think your's and my post give evidence that many CS's regard us as the proverbial Mushroom to be kept in a dark room and fed BS. I still like Lifeline.

Again Jim, my reply is meant just for fun. Prost, clink/clink. Bottoms up.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Good discussion, but no one has yet addressed my original question. "Why did PJ tell us to reset our settings to factory before Equalization?"
Jim
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattman-Litlboy View Post
Good discussion, but no one has yet addressed my original question. "Why did PJ tell us to reset our settings to factory before Equalization?"
Jim
Please see post #10 - most likely the best reasoning by viewers of your post... Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG88 View Post
Please see post #10 - most likely the best reasoning by viewers of your post... Thanks,

BG
Agree see Post 10. In defense of PJ, no need to put him in a corner to explain his reasoning on every issue? It's not his job to explain his every comment.. Take it or leave it. I'm sure he doesn't have the time nor the inclination to do so. Don, 757 Driver, lucky for us, has taken the time to comprehend our battery technology issues and share them with us.As an old outdated engineer in Electronic Technology I sincerely appreciate his input.

Just ask Don. Sorry Don

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
You will still be getting a few amps worth of charge even after the batteries go to Float or the charger shows “full charge” but not enough to overcome the 12v usage from water pump, Aquahot, lights, etc.
The only good use case for the factory solar is that if you park it outdoors away from power, the solar will keep the battery bank up against the parasitic draws. You cannot leave the master on or run things, though. When I had my Aspire I had to go to the lot weekly and run the generator because the batteries would not last. The Anthem is always fully charged. I like that. Given a choice, however, I would NOT spend what the factory asks for 200 watts - you can spend that aftermarket and get a lot more. Someday I will scrap the factory setup and install a much larger one.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Agree see Post 10. In defense of PJ, no need to put him in a corner to explain his reasoning on every issue? It's not his job to explain his every comment.. Take it or leave it. I'm sure he doesn't have the time nor the inclination to do so. Don, 757 Driver, lucky for us, has taken the time to comprehend our battery technology issues and share them with us.As an old outdated engineer in Electronic Technology I sincerely appreciate his input.

Just ask Don. Sorry Don

Pat

Another shout out for Don, and not so much for PJ and crew. When I arrived for my PDI, my house batteries would not hold a charge. One battery was shorted out. PJ said to replace the one bad battery on a 2 year old set of batteries that had been abused. We all know mixing old batteries with new is a no-no. Thanks to Don's emailing me while I was in the parking lot (Entegra is very aware of Don's knowledge) and sharing his emails with CS and PJ, I left with a new set of East Penn's.
After my experience, I will trust Don more so than Entegra when it comes to batteries and related items. PJ is as sharp as they come, but I'll go with Don on batteries. JME.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #23

PJ's Direction to Reset Defaults

Don’s the man! Must have helped 50% of us at Quartzsite this year, from new dry campers setting up their auto gen for the first time, to advice on how to add/relocate new battery packs, to minor repairs. Always a willing helping hand. Thanks Don!

Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolar01 View Post
Don’s the man! Must have helped 50% of us at Quartzsite this year, from new dry campers setting up their auto gen for the first time, to advice on how to add/relocate new battery packs, to minor repairs. Always a willing helping hand. Thanks Don!

Larry
Larry,

Thanks!! Glad to help out.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #25

I have listened to PJ's "cleaning his fish tank with a garden hose when he was a teenager" story to justify why he advised "equalizing".

I think you have your answer in #10.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote