Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
PJ's Direction to Reset Defaults

Several times I have heard PJ at Entegra direct owners to reset factory defaults prior to performing Equalization. After upgrading my eight batteries to Lifeline and customizing my two inverter's charging and equalization voltages, I called Magnum to try to understand why PJ wants defaults set back to factory. Magnum said it wasn't necessary. I think it has to do with Entegra not trusting owners settings that may vary from factory. It's a real pain to go back and reset both inverters. Some of my factory defaults are bizarre like LBCO at 10.0v.
So, all I need to do is:
1. Ensure batteries are fully charged or in Float charge.
2. Ensure battery type is Flooded
3. Press the Charger On-Off button for 5 sec to initiate charging.
Since my charging parameters are CUSTOM, I don't need to change Battery Type to Flooded. Just leave it the way it is.
With that said, all I need to do is steps 1 and 3 above.
So why does PJ want us to reset defaults?
I sent an email to service asking for clarification, but have not heard back yet.
These are my settings.
LIFELINE BATTERIES ONLY (AGM1)
04 Battery Type = Custom
Absorb 14.3v
Float 13.3v
Equalize 15.5v

Other Settings per my config:
01 SearchWatts Off (full timers)
02 LowBatteryCutOut 11.0v
03 Absorb Time 3-HR
04 Battery Type (see above)
05 Charge Rate 90%-100% (we use 100%)
06 VAC Dropout 100VAC
07 PwrSave 15min?
09 Final Charge Multi
10 Pwr Up Always YES (full timers)

JimClick image for larger version

Name:	0118191731.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	232983
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Why are you equalizing? Lifeline manual says to equalize only if your batteries are having performance problems.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Why are you equalizing? Lifeline manual says to equalize only if your batteries are having performance problems.
Not true. I have direction in writing to equalize my batteries once a year for 8-hrs at 15.5v. I even have it in an email when I questioned it. I'll contact them again and request clarification.
Jim
Old 01-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattman-Litlboy View Post
Not true. I have direction in writing to equalize my batteries once a year for 8-hrs at 15.5v. I even have it in an email when I questioned it. I'll contact them again and request clarification.
Jim

May I ask who gave that direction?
50sbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I just called Lifeline, and the CS rep told me that he owns a Tiffin, and he equalized annually as I described. It does no harm!
JimClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-01-24-15-42-36.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	232987
Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #6

This subject has come up many times in the past and I thought the verdict was agm batteries do not need equalizing... flooded batteries... yes...
At least with the factory entegra batteries made by discovery.. I would think life line
Would be the same... I think even pj admitted this was correct and in the beginning recommended equalization but then some forum members proved this otherwise..
But hey... if the manufacturer says do it then I guess that’s the last word..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
This subject has come up many times in the past and I thought the verdict was agm batteries do not need equalizing... flooded batteries... yes...
At least with the factory entegra batteries made by discovery.. I would think life line
Would be the same... I think even pj admitted this was correct and in the beginning recommended equalization but then some forum members proved this otherwise..
But hey... if the manufacturer says do it then I guess that’s the last word..
Agree. I equalize because Lifeline documentation said to do it, and Lifeline CS agrees to do it and their employees do it. I'm a degreed chemist, and it makes sense to me to. Sulphates will deposit on lead plates even with AGM batteries.
Jim
Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
But no one answered my original question. Why did PJ direct resetting defaults to Factory before Equalization. Magnum said it was not necessary.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Jim
Quoted verbatim from page 21 of my Lifeline manual:

“Conditioning should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss due to extended time in a partial or low state of charge condition. This could be caused, for example, by low charging voltage for an extended number of charge cycles, or by repeatedly charging to only 90% state of charge.

NOTE: Some chargers use the term Equalizing Charge instead of Conditioning”
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
But no one answered my original question. Why did PJ direct resetting defaults to Factory before Equalization. Magnum said it was not necessary.
Jim,

I think it was to get rid of any “different” programming and get to a known baseline. With the Magnum panel set to AGM2 Equalize will do nothing for you.

The problem with going to factory default is that one has to remember to change battery type, charge rate, Absorb time etc back to something that is proper for the battery bank size/type.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Several times I have heard PJ at Entegra direct owners to reset factory defaults prior to performing Equalization. After upgrading my eight batteries to Lifeline and customizing my two inverter's charging and equalization voltages, I called Magnum to try to understand why PJ wants defaults set back to factory. Magnum said it wasn't necessary. I think it has to do with Entegra not trusting owners settings that may vary from factory. It's a real pain to go back and reset both inverters. Some of my factory defaults are bizarre like LBCO at 10.0v.
So, all I need to do is:
1. Ensure batteries are fully charged or in Float charge.
2. Ensure battery type is Flooded
3. Press the Charger On-Off button for 5 sec to initiate charging.
Since my charging parameters are CUSTOM, I don't need to change Battery Type to Flooded. Just leave it the way it is.
With that said, all I need to do is steps 1 and 3 above.
So why does PJ want us to reset defaults?
I sent an email to service asking for clarification, but have not heard back yet.
These are my settings.
LIFELINE BATTERIES ONLY (AGM1)
04 Battery Type = Custom
Absorb 14.3v
Float 13.3v
Equalize 15.5v

Other Settings per my config:
01 SearchWatts Off (full timers)
02 LowBatteryCutOut 11.0v
03 Absorb Time 3-HR
04 Battery Type (see above)
05 Charge Rate 90%-100% (we use 100%)
06 VAC Dropout 100VAC
07 PwrSave 15min?
09 Final Charge Multi
10 Pwr Up Always YES (full timers)

JimAttachment 232983
Jim,

You may want to consider setting your Final Charge setting to Float instead of Multi. With the higher voltage of AGM batteries (12.9-13.0v) by the time the Float charge comes back on at 12.6v for a 4 hour period it is not enough amps going back in to get the bank up to 100% SOC.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Jim,

You may want to consider setting your Final Charge setting to Float instead of Multi. With the higher voltage of AGM batteries (12.9-13.0v) by the time the Float charge comes back on at 12.6v for a 4 hour period it is not enough amps going back in to get the bank up to 100% SOC.
I see your point, but I selected Multi because we have solar on the roof. Multi charge mode is used to assure a full charge stays on your batteries without overcharging your batteries, but mostly it is used when you have an alternate charge source, like solar. It allows the Magnum to charge the batteries, then shut down and let the solar keep the batteries charged, but if solar can’t and the battery voltage drops below 12.7 volts, the Magnum starts charging the batteries again, but again this only works if your battery banks are combined so the Magnum can monitor “all” the batteries.
But, since I have Lifeline batteries that can take full charging, I'll reset as you recommend to FLOAT.
THANKS, JIM
Old 01-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I see your point, but I selected Multi because we have solar on the roof. Multi charge mode is used to assure a full charge stays on your batteries without overcharging your batteries, but mostly it is used when you have an alternate charge source, like solar. It allows the Magnum to charge the batteries, then shut down and let the solar keep the batteries charged, but if solar can’t and the battery voltage drops below 12.7 volts, the Magnum starts charging the batteries again, but again this only works if your battery banks are combined so the Magnum can monitor “all” the batteries.
But, since I have Lifeline batteries that can take full charging, I'll reset as you recommend to FLOAT.
THANKS, JIM
Jim,

The “Multi” setting is great if you have a significant solar array (something greater than 500 W). The factory installed 200W would not add much to the overall charge scheme to make much of a difference and keep the batteries fully charged. When I had the AGM batteries what I found by monitoring my battery monitor was that when the chargers turned back on in Float mode at 12.6v the SOC was at 88%. The slow trickle charge for the next 4 hours only brought the SOC back up to 94% before turning off once again. With AGM batteries the only Final Charge setting that kept them fully charged was Float. Most AGM batteries that I have looked at have no restrictions on Floating them 24/7/365.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Jim,

The “Multi” setting is great if you have a significant solar array (something greater than 500 W). The factory installed 200W would not add much to the overall charge scheme to make much of a difference and keep the batteries fully charged. When I had the AGM batteries what I found by monitoring my battery monitor was that when the chargers turned back on in Float mode at 12.6v the SOC was at 88%. The slow trickle charge for the next 4 hours only brought the SOC back up to 94% before turning off once again. With AGM batteries the only Final Charge setting that kept them fully charged was Float. Most AGM batteries that I have looked at have no restrictions on Floating them 24/7/365.
My sentiments exactly. We've had factory-installed solar panels on previous coaches. When dry camping, even out here is the sunny southwest, I couldn't see that they made much difference. As such, I passed on the solar option when ordering our 2018 Entegra.

At this point, my take on solar is go big or don't bother.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote