Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #57

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, it was Mike at Coleman that talked me out of upgrading from the 6 bladed fans to the 3 bladed fans last year. He said, noise wasn't the issue....they went the the 3 bladed fans because of cost. He also said there was much misinformation on the internet.

I just installed the 3 bladed fans and Mike was not being truthful about the noise. I believe the internet and this forum is more truthful.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 AM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, glad you got your alignment fixed with a simple washer!

Mike at Coleman/RVP/Airxcel is the one disseminating the misinformation. It's bad enough Coleman/Airxcel didn't proactively recall the defective blades, but to have a customer rep denying there is even a problem is shameful. Particularly when that inexpensive defective part can - and has - destroyed the entire unit.

The B & C version of the fans *will* eventually fail even on properly installed units. Guaranteed. Guess they are betting your warranty will run out first. More info here on the B & C fans and where to look for cracks

Around fall 2014 a few of us sent an engineer at Coleman/Airxcel our broken and failing B and C version fans which prompted a retooling that resulted in the beefier D fan. The D fans are holding up well. Good thing the engineer didn't consult Mike. More info here on the improvements to the D fans.

The defective fans always fail in the same manner (stress cracks in the hub where the bottom edge of the blade meets the hub). The hubs were too thin and deformed during operation causing flexing that turned into cracks and eventual failure. Clearly that has nothing to do with possible overtigtening of the base plate.

As for that, Entegra (and presumably others) started putting a foam block under the front of the unit to ensure a level install. Seems that is another example of inadequate engineering that the installers have been forced to resolve. I have seen cracked fans and torn or loose motor mounts on units with the foam block.

As for the noise factor, the nature of the sound is radically different between the original six blade fan and the new 3 blade fans. The majority of us find the three blade fans to be much quieter. Redesign of the shroud could reduce the noise even more.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Lost 2 A/C this last week. Looked in the rear A/C and can see a fan blade missing and jammed in the housing. The front A/C has 3 fan blades attached, but vibrates so hard that you think the unit is coming off the roof. Turned both units off, and am calling Entegra this morning. I'm happy that I'm still under warranty!
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the bad vibration problem with one of mine- brand new installed Thurs. Please let me know what the fix is for your ac. I would rather fix it myself if possible than drive back 196 miles one way to deal with it.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #61
swk

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the second 3 blade "B" fan crack this week. Called Airexcel and they sent me 3 new "D" blades. In addition they sent new rubber isolators that go under the fan motor. About 5 minutes per unit and all good now.
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #62

coleman ac fan cracked

we were out in california it was 100+* our ac started making a horrible noise so I shut it down. Good thing we have a rear one. I went up took off the top, had my son turn it on and wow, the fan motor was jumping all over the place. After close inspection we found the 3 blade fan had large cracks. It was a "C" fan. Also one of the motor mounts was lose and we couldn't under the sheet metal to tighten it. Not sure if they are rubber mounted underneath.I had to make a wedge in between the mount and sheet metal. I thought I 'd better check the rear and sure enough it had cracks starting on the blades. I went crazy trying to find them. No one had any and most places said they were back ordered. We made it back to Washington where one of the local rv parts store ordered them for me took about 2 weeks and $52.00 ea. I now have the up graded "D" fans. The old fan they came with a small clip balancer i'm assuming and the new ones do not. Is there any way to check the balance of these fans before I put them on?
I will be reporting this to RPV
thanks
munzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by munzie View Post
we were out in california it was 100+* our ac started making a horrible noise so I shut it down. Good thing we have a rear one. I went up took off the top, had my son turn it on and wow, the fan motor was jumping all over the place. After close inspection we found the 3 blade fan had large cracks. It was a "C" fan. Also one of the motor mounts was lose and we couldn't under the sheet metal to tighten it. Not sure if they are rubber mounted underneath.I had to make a wedge in between the mount and sheet metal. I thought I 'd better check the rear and sure enough it had cracks starting on the blades. I went crazy trying to find them. No one had any and most places said they were back ordered. We made it back to Washington where one of the local rv parts store ordered them for me took about 2 weeks and $52.00 ea. I now have the up graded "D" fans. The old fan they came with a small clip balancer i'm assuming and the new ones do not. Is there any way to check the balance of these fans before I put them on?
thanks
Wow $52 each. Year or so ago you could get all three from RVP for $54.
As far as the mount you can screw it back in from the top. It screws onto a stud.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #64

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
thanks
You shouldn't have to pay for those, any B or C fan WILL fail and Coleman knows it.

At Entegra homecoming rally in April I was pleasantly surprised that two Coleman reps were going around to every coach and checking and replacing the fans with D fans on every AC unit free of charge.

For the mounts, there is a screw that comes up from underneath the pan. As long as the screw hasn't fallen out you should be able to tighten it from the top by twisting the rubber part (righty tighty). Somewhere, maybe even in this thread I posted pictures of that assembly, maybe about two years ago?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #65

lose mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
You shouldn't have to pay for those, any B or C fan WILL fail and Coleman knows it.

At Entegra homecoming rally in April I was pleasantly surprised that two Coleman reps were going around to every coach and checking and replacing the fans with D fans on every AC unit free of charge.

For the mounts, there is a screw that comes up from underneath the pan. As long as the screw hasn't fallen out you should be able to tighten it from the top by twisting the rubber part (righty tighty). Somewhere, maybe even in this thread I posted pictures of that assembly, maybe about two years ago?
I tried that but the screw under the sheet metal is also turning and I have no way of holding it to tighten.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
If you have inspected your Coleman/RVP/Airxcel MACH 8 3 blade "quiet" fans and found them to have stress cracks developing please report your findings on this thread. Post photos if you can. Also post the part number of your fan which will be 1472x504 where "x" will be either an A, B or C.

See this thread and post #24 for photos of where to look for the cracks.

It seems that only two of us so far (Loisjop and me) have actually reported the problem to RVP. But I also know that Kzemper had a catastrophic failure and I'm strongly suspecting there are others that have had the problem or are about to.

RVP has been very responsive and helpful and has a improved fan design in the works, however, understandably there is some doubt on their part as to the extent of the issue. If everyone with the problem reports it here we can all better grasp the scope. I will make sure the RVP design folks have a link to the thread.

If you want to report the issue to RVP directly as well, call customer service (316-832-4357) and ask for Eric Botts (service) or Phil Robinson (design engineering).

If your fans have well developed cracks you can probably see them without removing the AC unit shroud (and should probably stop using that unit until you get a replacement), but to check for cracks in the early stages you will need to remove the shroud and fan blade (photos here and here). You will need a Torx T-25 screwdriver bit. The cracks will appear where the blade edges meet the bottom of the hub. Small cracks will eventually become large cracks and the blades will come off.

If you have failed fans or large cracks (imminent failure), and can't wait for the new design (1-2 months) you can call RVP, explain that you have the cracks and ask for a replacement of the current part (1472C504) for the interim. Note that the "C" part does not require the extra washer that some of us needed with our fans to keep them tight on the motor shaft.

Thanks,
Rob
two cracked blades with 'C" 2015 coleman mach had to pay $52.00 each
Old 07-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #67

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
two cracked blades with 'C" 2015 coleman mach had to pay $52.00 each
Did you call Coleman before paying $52.00 each, or was that just from a dealer? Coleman has been replacing the bad blades at no charge.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #68

WE had the same issues. All 3 failed in one week. There is a class action remedy being prepared. I will try and post when I get the notice from the lawyers.
wrwiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #69

Entegra Owners Club
Had one on forward AC unit. Vibration was pretty severe. Stopped using unit until I could get it checked out. Thought it was ancompressor issue or a motor mount issue. Turned out blade was broken off.
Gestalt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #70

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwiii View Post
WE had the same issues. All 3 failed in one week. There is a class action remedy being prepared. I will try and post when I get the notice from the lawyers.
A class action for $53. worth of fan blades? Or was there additional damage caused by the blades breaking?

Tags
fan