RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Please report cracked RVP MACH 8 A/C fan blades here

If you have inspected your Coleman/RVP/Airxcel MACH 8 3 blade "quiet" fans and found them to have stress cracks developing please report your findings on this thread. Post photos if you can. Also post the part number of your fan which will be 1472x504 where "x" will be either an A, B or C.

See this thread and post #24 for photos of where to look for the cracks.

It seems that only two of us so far (Loisjop and me) have actually reported the problem to RVP. But I also know that Kzemper had a catastrophic failure and I'm strongly suspecting there are others that have had the problem or are about to.

RVP has been very responsive and helpful and has a improved fan design in the works, however, understandably there is some doubt on their part as to the extent of the issue. If everyone with the problem reports it here we can all better grasp the scope. I will make sure the RVP design folks have a link to the thread.

If you want to report the issue to RVP directly as well, call customer service (316-832-4357) and ask for Eric Botts (service) or Phil Robinson (design engineering).

If your fans have well developed cracks you can probably see them without removing the AC unit shroud (and should probably stop using that unit until you get a replacement), but to check for cracks in the early stages you will need to remove the shroud and fan blade (photos here and here). You will need a Torx T-25 screwdriver bit. The cracks will appear where the blade edges meet the bottom of the hub. Small cracks will eventually become large cracks and the blades will come off.

If you have failed fans or large cracks (imminent failure), and can't wait for the new design (1-2 months) you can call RVP, explain that you have the cracks and ask for a replacement of the current part (1472C504) for the interim. Note that the "C" part does not require the extra washer that some of us needed with our fans to keep them tight on the motor shaft.

Thanks,
Rob
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

Four total failures on the front unit. Will check the other two as they now have quiet a bit of run time. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Here is mine... there are also small cracks along the two other blades. All the cracks are appearing on the "trailing" edge of the blade where it comes into the disk.

Note that the center disk seems to be quite badly out of round. Its almost as if the weak areas between the blades are yielding to the stronger areas where the blades are attached. And/or the blades have some "torque" or something on them from the airflow and the areas between the blades can't handle it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5766.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	80626

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5776.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	80627
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I did not take a picture, but about 2 months ago I heard a terrible noise in one of my heat pumps. I discovered the fan motor was missing a mount bolt. I replaced and tightened it and it still made an occasional noise. Upon further inspection found a cracked fan blade. I called RVP and they sent a replacement. He told me he had not heard of any other failures. I assumed it was the fan mount bolt that caused the fan to hit and crack, but could have been the cracked fan caused vibration and caused the mount bolt to fall out. I see now I am not the only one. I am carrying my old ones for spares, just in case.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
UPDATE from Airxcel

Phil Robinson at Airxcel was in touch again over the past few days with some new info. I've got to say Phil and the team there jumped right on this once they had hard evidence and have been super responsive and helpful. Kudos to RVP/Airxcel!

Reference to the fans by letter A, B, C, D is in regard to the letter in the middle of the part number, for example 1472B504 is a B fan.

The new "D" fan protoypes will be at Airxel by around 12/20. Once they have passed muster, full production will begin in Jan and they should be ready for delivery around the beginning of Feb. The "D" fan will have a beefed up hub structure and be made of the same glass filled nylon as the previous B and C fans.

The "A" fans were the original six blade models. Phil just mentioned to me that they have some of these back in stock if anyone wants to go back to them for the interim.

"B" fans are the first of the 3 blade quiet design and were produced up until about May it would appear. Unless you replaced your fan recently this is probably what you have.

With the "C" fans the embossed part number stays the same (1472B504) but there is a white sticker over it that says 1472C504. NOTE: "C" fans have a thicker top section and should NOT require the second washer underneath the hub that many of us needed to add with the "B" fans to keep them tight on the motor shaft. If you have a "C" fan you still need one washer under the hub but not two.

All the fans have a production date code - to see that you will need to remove the fan and look inside the hub. Embossed into the plastic you will see four "dials" with an arrow pointing at a number. One dial is the year (13-18), one is the month (1-12) and the other two indicate the day. Please indicate the date code if you are reporting cracked blades.

Phil told me date codes around 2/14 were "B" pre-production models. The fans I installed last June had a 2/14 date and at this point all of mine have failed or developed cracks. Of the last three fans I received all were "C" fans with dates of 6/14.

There was a theory that some of the "B" fans had a production issue involving over drying the fabrication material. here is the latest quote from Phil about that: "The theory of using over-dried nylon material seems to not be supported by what we know at this time."

In regard to the loosening rubber fan motor mounts - these are known as "fan isolators" here is a quote from Phil:
"The fan isolator installation was moved to position #2 on the assembly line several months ago, this allows the installer of the isolator a visual clue as to whether the serrated screw has backed out to any degree after installing the isolator. The incidence of Loose isolators has decreased markedly since then."

Bottom line is the "D" fans should be the final fix and should be available by Feb 2015
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #6

Rob you were right. I pulled the 3 blade fans I installed earlier this year. Only in service 2 months all three fans had hair line fractures. I replaced them with the old ones I kept.

I guess I will have to wait for the fix.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #7

We will have to check our fanblades. We have had our A/Cs "fixed" 4 times already. They are having problems again. Our experience with our 2013 Anthem has been a total nightmare. Always in the shop instead of on the road. We have been to the factory twice for a total of 7 weeks and have spent months in countless other shops. We have another repair appointment in March that will be for 2 to 3 months. We will NEVER buy another Entegra or Jayco product.
nosnow222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Put my new "D" edition fan blades I and CLEANED out all the sawdust that was clogging my coils (both condenser and evaporator)! Seems they (Entegra) left a lot of sawdust from cutting the holes in the roof inside the units. You might want to check that out. I was able to use my leaf blower and shop vac, but be careful you don't bend up the fins...they're pretty fragile.

(I would NOT suggest using a high pressure nozzle connected to a compressor. You won't need that, and that much air pressure will bed the fins.)

BTW...my "B" version fan blades showed no cracks or separation from the hubs.....I'll keep them as backups!

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I took delivery of my 2015 Cornerstone that came of the line end of February. I too have the Airxcel Mach 8's by Coleman. I'm wondering what blades are on that unit. I'm not very mechanical I wonder if I called them with the serial numbers I they'd know what blades went on it.. Being it was end of February I wonder if I was lucky and got the new blades. As of now they are running quietly..
garyhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, according to earlier posts the D model blades were not going to be shipped utill the middle of March. As for the productions units.....you might have to call on that to be sure.

I have been waiting for reports for the new-new-new blades are not breaking so I can get a set ordered.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhz View Post
I took delivery of my 2015 Cornerstone that came of the line end of February. I too have the Airxcel Mach 8's by Coleman. I'm wondering what blades are on that unit. I'm not very mechanical I wonder if I called them with the serial numbers I they'd know what blades went on it.. Being it was end of February I wonder if I was lucky and got the new blades. As of now they are running quietly..

Pull off one of the shrouds covering your A/C's and look at the numbers on the 3-bladed fan....if there's a D in the number, you're good to go.

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

Fan motor mounts

On Tuesday we had our motor mounts fail while camping. I did not notice any cracks in the fan blade. It's the 3 blade replacement fan I installed about 6-8 months ago. Didn't notice which letter is on it. The trailer is at the repair shop now. Wondering if an out of round fan hub caused enough vibration to cause the mounts to fail. Thinking about just putting the original 6 blade fan back on. Is AirExcel still charging for the replacement?
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Exclamation

We are full-timers and our units are on heat or air just about every day (the coach is 18 months in service now). I replaced all three original fans as soon as it was posted on this forum. About six weeks ago, one blade separated off of the rear unit and jammed stopping the fan (probably a good thing). I called and was shipped a new blade within two days. After reading all these posts, I need to pull the shrouds and check the other two units for cracks.
Thanks Pat for that tip on cleaning out the units with a leaf blower, great idea.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #14

Checked mine today, no problems and no cracks

This is on a brand new Casita (Feb 25, 2015 pickup)

Was concerned enough to take the cover off and could see no signs of cracks (used a flash light from underneath). Also checked the mounting bolts, everything was tight. Perhaps they have tightened up the QC. Certainly will not ignore any noises or changes My thanks to the Forum for alerting me to a potential problem.

Have camera, will travel.

Jeanne & Gil & Oliver (the dog that owns us)
gilbertfrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan