Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Pointing A Winegard Rayzar

We use OTA TV fairly often, and usually the "scan automatically" feature works pretty good on the antenna.

But at a CG a few weeks ago, it happened that we were 20 miles from a single PBS station, and, say 40 miles from a metro area (in different directions, naturally). So the Rayzar locked in on the close station and ignored the major metro area.

I've got an app that says which direction various TV signals are coming from, so I know that I want to point the antenna, say, at the "northeast"---but I don't see the correlation of the controls of the Rayzar to the real world. I tried to make a few guesses, but didn't have much luck. One issue is trial-and-error takes a while, as you have to let the TV search for signals to see if you got it right.

If I were setting one up, I'd have the "straight up" control to have the antenna pointing at the front of the rig.

I checked the Rayzar manual--it looks as though they intend the manual control to just bump it a few degrees one way or the other to "touch up" the signal. Evidently no one else wants to point it manually.

Anybody have a clue on how to point the antenna in a particular direction?

ps: I know, I know, skip the OTA and get the satellite going...
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

I take it you have the fixed model? Perhaps you should move the coach in the direction of the metro area.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

I put one on my coach, replacing the Jack thing it came with.

It is supposed to be aligned so straight up on the display = straight forward on the coach.

Also it needs to be high enough to be over the air conditioners. A terribly expensive bracket is sold, I made mine.

After it does a scan, it locks to the strongest signal, but should have lights around the dial for other signals it finds.
One of the buttons will jump it from one known signal to the next, repeatedly around the dial. It's in the manual.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Drawback to the mounting of our Raysars they are directional. The way they are mounted on our Entegras is below the roof AC and the awning, blocking the signals from those directions. Winegard makes a ridiculously priced adapter to solve the problem. It's a good photo to make your own. https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-d...zar-auto-mount
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Drawback to the mounting of our Raysars they are directional. The way they are mounted on our Entegras is below the roof AC and the awning, blocking the signals from those directions. Winegard makes a ridiculously priced adapter to solve the problem. It's a good photo to make your own. https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-d...zar-auto-mount

I used 3 pieces of steel from Lowes.
The Rayzor is extremely light, doesn't need much to hold it there.
It's back that far cause someday there will be solar panels on each side of that air conditioner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rayzor automatic done.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	305196  
Old 10-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post

It is supposed to be aligned so straight up on the display = straight forward on the coach.
That's what I would expect. It didn't seem like it was working that way...

Quote:
After it does a scan, it locks to the strongest signal, but should have lights around the dial for other signals it finds.
One of the buttons will jump it from one known signal to the next, repeatedly around the dial. It's in the manual.
I'll re-read the manual! The control panel has a terrible user interface...basically just poorly-labeled buttons and unlabeled lights. And an alpha-display that means nothing...

Anyway, this helps point me in the right direction, thanks!
Old 10-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I used 3 pieces of steel from Lowes.
The Rayzor is extremely light, doesn't need much to hold it there.
It's back that far cause someday there will be solar panels on each side of that air conditioner
Did you notice much of a signal improvement raising the antenna? I have been told it was substantial.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #8

I did not do a comparison to it flat on the roof. It made no sense to me to put it down low between the metal awnings and the air conditioner, and behind whatever is in the front cap.

As compared to the original jack thing, it's much better, picking up a dozen channels where the jack got none.
Quote:
Did you notice much of a signal improvement raising the antenna? I have been told it was substantial.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
It seems like the downside would be making the rig taller by 5-6 inches. Aren't our ACs the highest thing on the rig? Or maybe I'm wrong about the height...
Old 10-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
It seems like the downside would be making the rig taller by 5-6 inches. Aren't our ACs the highest thing on the rig? Or maybe I'm wrong about the height...
Gets it up even or maybe just above. Sitting below the AC, as now installed blocks any marginal signals from that direction. Lots of metal in both the AC and the awning to block signals. In my use adding an inch wouldn't make any difference in the height of the MH. I still figure 13 ft. The bracket does not look to be 5 inches higher than the AC. I am going to make my own, so it will be just above the A/C.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
So the question is: Since this is a known issue, why does Entegra still put the antennas down in a canyon on their new coaches?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
So the question is: Since this is a known issue, why does Entegra still put the antennas down in a canyon on their new coaches?
I'll bet because the extension mount is $89. It is crazy that the antenna mount has to be modified for the antenna to work 100%
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I'll bet because the extension mount is $89. It is crazy that the antenna mount has to be modified for the antenna to work 100%
Entegra could probably make those mounts for $10 or $15.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote