Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Popping noise from chassis/rear

This Anthem is our first tag axle. When we make a turn, we hear a popping noise from below or behind. We went to Cummins/Spartan in Orlando and they checked the ball joint as part of a recall. According to them, it sounds ok, just normal for a tag axle. You guys know more than most, so I'm asking......is this normal, and if not do you have any suggestions as to where to go from here?
jenbeau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
You mentioned when making a turn. Have you tried making a turn using the "tag dump" switch on the drivers console? Does it still make the same noise when the tag air is dumped?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

Popping noise from chassis/rear

Mine sometimes does it on a slow speed turn where one side is higher or when there is a side slope in the turn. Normal in those situations. JMHO 🚌🚓
Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We will try the tag dump. But we were told tag dump is for sharp turns, and these are what I would call regular turns. They are usually at slower speeds, so maybe it is just us being a little paranoid.....
jenbeau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I was wondering of the popping noise was the tag tires possibly skipping? If just a normal turn, that would not be the case.

Gene may be right on if that is where you are experiencing the noise.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

I don't usually hear anything with mine. My wife says I have hearing loss, so that might be a factor.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbeau1 View Post
This Anthem is our first tag axle. When we make a turn, we hear a popping noise from below or behind. We went to Cummins/Spartan in Orlando and they checked the ball joint as part of a recall. According to them, it sounds ok, just normal for a tag axle. You guys know more than most, so I'm asking......is this normal, and if not do you have any suggestions as to where to go from here?
You don't say what year your my is, but the shackle bolts are suppose to be retorqued after a few thousand miles. They will definitely cause a popping noise in a turn. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #8

My 11 did it, my 13 did it and my 15 has already done it. My old Peterbilts all did it on the kind of slopes I described but none have done it on flat, smooth turns. Just my experience.🚌🚓
Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Assuming that you are braking in a slow turn, a popping noise can be the brake rollers sticking slightly on one side. They may or may not pop in normal braking or even all the time. This is not a big deal as they can be cleaned and lubricated. I have mine cleaned as routine service. Also if you brake firmly once in a while, and or press the brakes really hard when already stopped, it acts to clean the rollers a bit.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I have never heard any such noise. As the Entegra coach is so well insulated, I would think that it would have to be awfully loud to be heard from the tag axle all the way to the front. I can't even hear my engine running unless I get up and walk to the rear.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #11

I have a tag coach that is insulated well enough that I don't hear much. Even my hearing aids don't help enough! But my DW hears everything. No tag noises here.
Best wishes!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
From my experience with my 2013 Anthem (which had a popping sound in slow turns):

- Sound travels, particularly...to say it is coming from the rear may or may not be true. I am not dissing what your saying, just saying that is what I learned.

- I thought I heard this in the front, slow speeds, and when going over a rut or a small curb like you see in some paved sites. I went to Spartan, they shimmed the bell crank area. Left and didn't hear for several months, then started hearing again in similar situations.

- Again, at Spartan, this time Owner's class, and they checked it out...thought it might be something similar in the rear end that sounds the same as when the bell crank area needs shimmed.

My recommendation, is talk to Spartan CS, tell them of your symptoms. My guess is they will not be overtly concerned, but let them work with a Spartan Service center, to see if they can isolate, if you are concerned.

Again, that was my experience. about 2 years ago.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

I had a popping noise like that in our 2013 Anthem which would show up randomly in turns and when going over RR tracks. Had the unit at Spartan and they did their normal inspection and did retorque all the rear suspension bolts. I have not noticed any noise from the chassis since then! I would love to have been there when the inspection and re-torqueing occurred so I could know exactly what was done. All I got was the work order for "rear suspension bolts retorque"

I would call Spartan and talk to them for info and guidance. Chris McCord was extremely helpful with the issues I had and should be able to help you. Spartan is 800.543.4277 and Chris is on extension 3235 direct.
jestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

I had the same problem on my 2013 Anthem. At the PDI last March, Spartan corrected the problem. The problem was in the read-end. They had to realign and retorque the rear-end. Recommend you have a good Spartan service center fix it.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, noise