Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #29

I use a 22" Weber to both grill and smoke. I use foil between the grated to split it in half when smoking. Have done this for years and it works out pretty good.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Now this is MY KIND OF THREAD!!!! LOL!!
We have to be Brothers from different Mothers :-)
I carry a Weber Q and a 17" Blackstone. I still have not picked which smoker is going in the belly of the beast. At the homestead, I have a Camp Chef that is the bomb!
Following!!!!

Rich
STRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
OK, with the GMG TREK, I have not cooked with a pellet grill and nothing electric like this. I have been carrying the Charbroil small Infrared grill for a while and for grilling, it works good (just needs small propane bottles).

I am interested in getting one of these for cooking. Looks like it is a smoker grill, which I sort of understand, but have never used. I can eat BBQ/smoked anything (almost) about 3 days a week, but have never "smoked". Are you smoking Filets, Ribeye's, Chicken, Porkchops, etc in addition to smoking mainly meats, like brisket. Assume from all the reading, this grill cooks slower, and longer for the "smoked" and slow cooked attributes.

I consider myself a better than average grill cook. I can grill a nice filet on the charbroil at 500 for 8-10 minutes, depending on the cut. Help me understand the Pellet Grill and where it is best?
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
OK, with the GMG TREK, I have not cooked with a pellet grill and nothing electric like this. I have been carrying the Charbroil small Infrared grill for a while and for grilling, it works good (just needs small propane bottles).

I am interested in getting one of these for cooking. Looks like it is a smoker grill, which I sort of understand, but have never used. I can eat BBQ/smoked anything (almost) about 3 days a week, but have never "smoked". Are you smoking Filets, Ribeye's, Chicken, Porkchops, etc in addition to smoking mainly meats, like brisket. Assume from all the reading, this grill cooks slower, and longer for the "smoked" and slow cooked attributes.

I consider myself a better than average grill cook. I can grill a nice filet on the charbroil at 500 for 8-10 minutes, depending on the cut. Help me understand the Pellet Grill and where it is best?
I don't use a pellet grill.....although I have in the past. Smoking food is as much about the process as it is the food. I smoked competitions several years ago and enjoy cooking even though I hardly eat BBQ anymore....I do still really enjoy the process and enjoy feeding people.
If you're new to smoking I would start with some form of pork as it's very forgiving. Pork butt would be my first suggestion. There's a unlimited amount of info on the internet that will guide you along. You won't have to suffer through bad bbq like my family did in my younger days pre-internet and I learned what not to do before I learned what to do haha. Enjoy it and good luck. I'm sure myself and others here would be more than willing to help you along.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
I carry a 22" Blackstone griddle an an Acorn smoker grill by Char Griller The Char Griller does everything the Green Egg or Kamada Joe does but is lighter and easier to handle. The Blackstone does all of the breakfast things as well as fajitas, seafood and griddle items.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
I use the ASmoke 300 pellet grill. Its small and light enough at 30 lbs. to fit in with all my full timer stuff. Quite a clever design and heavy duty construction, for its size. Also available on Amazon, Walmart and most anywhere and its cheap, around $250. Only problem I've had it has a difficult time holding low temperatures (under 250F) but I'm working with the factory on that.

They also have a new design (AS350) coming out that promises some new grilling design but that is a wait and see proposition.

That said, all summer I've been in the northwest and most every place has a ban on anything except propane grills. The fire and smoke danger is too great even for a pellet grill, which has an enclosed firing chamber.

Just saw a couple videos last nite on the ASmoke 300. What are your overall thoughts on this unit? How has your experience been with their customer service?
I was looking the ASmoke 300, and the Grilla Grills Chimp, even though the Chimp is significantly larger. Even with the legs folded, it is still 24" tall.
Thanks.

Tim
Old 09-16-2021, 06:13 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Just saw a couple videos last nite on the ASmoke 300. What are your overall thoughts on this unit? How has your experience been with their customer service?
I was looking the ASmoke 300, and the Grilla Grills Chimp, even though the Chimp is significantly larger. Even with the legs folded, it is still 24" tall.
Thanks.

Tim
John mentioned he had problems with temps under 250* Check that closely. That was the same problem I had with the Pitt Boss, I could not slow smoke ribs at 200* It would be all over the board from 175* to 350*. With pellet smoking I learned the hard way, if it will not hold a constant temperature, it's just a BBQ grill. The ASmoke does look like a nice setup for an RV.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
With pellet smoking I learned the hard way, if it will not hold a constant temperature, it's just a BBQ grill. The ASmoke does look like a nice setup for an RV.
Good info Chuck. Makes sense - I like BBQ brisket and Ribs. Will look at this brand too.

Orion - thank you for the info as well.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #37
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Fulltime. On the large slider Trager Ranger sideways, 17" Blackstone standing on edge and 1980's Weber gas sideways. Coleman aluminum table to hold which ever is being used.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
John mentioned he had problems with temps under 250* Check that closely. That was the same problem I had with the Pitt Boss, I could not slow smoke ribs at 200* It would be all over the board from 175* to 350*. With pellet smoking I learned the hard way, if it will not hold a constant temperature, it's just a BBQ grill. The ASmoke does lo
ok like a nice setup for an RV.

Thanks.
Just wondering if Customer Service was able to help with the fluctuating temperature issue.
Otherwise, Looks to be a good fit for rving

Tim
TB673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #39

I was looking for a Weber but was talked into a Traeger this summer when they were having a Costco road show. Got the last small one they had and am very happy. We like it so well I unloaded our propane BBQ. Hate the little bottles not knowing how much gas is left. The Traeger is small, fits easily in the basement and can do it all. It has made me a better cook.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Thanks.
Just wondering if Customer Service was able to help with the fluctuating temperature issue.
Otherwise, Looks to be a good fit for rving

Tim
Mine was a Pitt Boss Tailgater that would not hold temperature. CS tried, sent a new controller, etc.....nothing working. After that experience I came back to this forum and Googled the Davey Crockett, everyone raved about constant temperature. I Googled Pitt Boss, after the fact, and found out temperature was a major problem with that model. There are so many pellet smoker forums now, it is easy to get customer feedback on any grill now. If anyone has mentioned a temperature control problem, do research it closely. A pellet smoker will not work with temperature fluctuation.

Thank to this post....3-2-1, fall off the bone ribs are going to be smoked this weekend. Making the Costco run today.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:15 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck Nailed it. Temp control is the number 1 issue. And that is related to the thickness of steel and electronics. At home the Yodder is my go to, I have the small Trager for the coach, how ever it is up for replacement.

Mark,
I grill and smoke while on the road, so for steaks I will put a Mesquite pellet in and smoke @ 180 for about 20-30 min then pop it up to 300 to grill and finish. Or if I'm lazy and hungry I'll start at 300-350 and cook Hot and fast. I have also modified my 3-2-1 ribs to be about 4 hrs so when just hanging at the coach it makes for a fun afternoon. Usually get to meet a lot of people that way. Take the steaks and slice up some taters, onions and Jalapeno on the Blackstone with 3 sticks of butter and life becomes much better!!

JP
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:25 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info John. I am looking to buy one for the coach and probably one for the lot in Indio. I am thinking about the TREK for the coach - I see it is 60 lbs which is no problem for me to get in and out of the coach and set up.

I read the 3-2-1 process and it makes sense to me - I have basically done that in the oven at 225, the the grill for about half an hour. I like Mesquite Wood as we cook with it when hunting in Central Texas (gets hot), and plenty of supply there. I will research a little more and go with one of them.