Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #57

Spartan Chassis
Bill,

For what it’s worth, that is our exact set up. Completely satisfied with it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #58

Water softener

We had NIRVC Phoenix install a On the Go. They snaked hoses from Wet bay to
the power bay. The On the Go sits nicely in front of power cord reel. Using coiled hose, I am able to lift out On the Go to pull out my power cord. I lift it back in when camped. Same drill when I get ready to leave. The On the Go is never disconnected from the wet bay. It is also easy and neat for recharging with salt with On the Go on the ground outside of power bay. Kevin Valente at Phoenix is very familiar with the project.
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #59

Get a reverse osmosis unit. 100 GPD (Or smaller if you want) will fit in the basement and with a bit of piping and wiring ingenuity and a level switch in the water tank you can hook it up to your onboard tank BEFORE the pump to keep it full when parked and hooked up to shore water. Not only will it remove dissolved solids (soften) but it will also purify your water and needs no chemicals for regeneration.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOn View Post
I see no one has mentioned the Travelsoft water softner. I have used one for the last 13 years full timing. It has a drain in it and a valve at the top for back flushing, charging etc. I just ordered a new larger one 24,000 grains. Its 37 inches tall but I will lay it down when traveling. Here is a link to the seller.... https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WS.htm . Cost is 449.00 free shipping. A little pricey but they last forever.
Looked up reviews of this unit and one of the cons was that it needed regular maintenance? What maintenance was it referring to?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #61

I really have no idea what they are talking about. The maintenance is the same with every softner...you have to recharge it. Mine works as it should and is actually easier than most because of the valve system on top. Everyone has there own opinion, this is mine. We are quitting the full time and selling our coach and will probably sell ours shortly for maybe 250.00 or so...couple years old...
Old 05-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #62

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've had the larger model On-The-Go portable for over two years. I've gotten tired of having to load and unload it at every stop so I finally quit procrastinating and permanently installed it in the bay. I setup a board with valves so I can regenerate and backwash the water softener without having to take it out. I use a water filter container to add the salt to the water softener. Also installed bypass valves in the wet bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bypass Valves.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	246717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regen valves.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	246718  

Click image for larger version

Name:	water softener valves.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	246719  
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #63

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp5151 View Post
Looked up reviews of this unit and one of the cons was that it needed regular maintenance? What maintenance was it referring to?
Probably regen as mentioned above. All softeners have to be regen'd but some are much easier (and more expensive) than others.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #64

Ya know.... I bought all the stuff for a temporary installation and used to carry the water softener with me all the time.... and I found it a PITA to set it up, tear it down, recharge it, and do this repeatedly. I am sure that I am lazy in my old age.

Here is my new strategy. When we hit a new RV park, we test the water. If it stinks, we use our tankful taken on at a good place. If it is unreasonably hard and we get no soap suds, we use our own tank we brought with us. If it doesn't smell, and isn't hard, then we use the RV park's water. If it is good water, we refill our tank.

Seems much easier. Life is too short....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Ya know.... I bought all the stuff for a temporary installation and used to carry the water softener with me all the time.... and I found it a PITA to set it up, tear it down, recharge it, and do this repeatedly. I am sure that I am lazy in my old age.

Here is my new strategy. When we hit a new RV park, we test the water. If it stinks, we use our tankful taken on at a good place. If it is unreasonably hard and we get no soap suds, we use our own tank we brought with us. If it doesn't smell, and isn't hard, then we use the RV park's water. If it is good water, we refill our tank.

Seems much easier. Life is too short....

Gary
However if you spend the summer in MI, or the winter in AZ that method is out the window.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #66

Portable Water Softener, Recommendations

Water in the west is no joke... almost 500 ppm in Utah and States around me...
Gotta have a softener out here... water in the east i here is way better...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Looking to purchase a Portable Water Softener for the MH and would appreciate any info and recommendations.

I've been looking at the Flow-Pure models. I have never used a water softener before so it's all new to me. Use, primarily AZ.

Thank's, Pat
When it comes to portable water softeners, I highly recommend the Watts Water M7002 Flow-Pur RV-Pro. I use it on the RV and it removes most of the calcium. As far as my experience is concerned, its quality is as good as it is advertised.
Ricardododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #68

Water Softener conversion

Has anyone converted a portable water softener Into a DI water system? It’s a matter of just replacing the resin or it’s more complicated then that. I appreciate if you share your knowledge thanks

Zzotte
Old 05-30-2020, 04:23 AM   #69

If you go to a DI and replace the resin it will need to be replaced again when it exhausts as you wont be be able to regenerate it. A softener should only be used for hot water as you don't want the added sodium in your drinking water. Your best bet would be a small reverse osmosis unit but now your drinking water will taste "flat." If you notice, "spring water" created with an RO has minerals replaced so it will taste better. The only practical domestic use for softened or DI water is dishes, laundry and showers. When I was is Phoenix for nine months I used a Zero Water for my drinking water. No muss, no fuss, no bother. Keep your softener for dishes and shower

I hav 45 years experience in water and waste treatment from Nuclear Power to municipalities. If you're looking to "purify" your water, as in kill bacteria, go UV.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
Has anyone converted a portable water softener Into a DI water system? It’s a matter of just replacing the resin or it’s more complicated then that. I appreciate if you share your knowledge thanks

Zzotte
Its the same tank and functions the same. You will just need to replace the softener resin with the DI resin.

They actually use the blue tank, typically for a softener, in the setup for a dual bed deionizer.

https://www.portablewaterdi.com/shop...ductTabDetails
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water