Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Potential Disaster Averted

As an FYI. We have been using the 3 inch slinky and typically close our gray water dump valve unless we are running the washer for a few loads.

During the summer we travel with our younger grandchildren and the other day one of them left the sink faucet running. Lucky for us we heard the water running before we left the coach otherwise we could have been in for a surprise on our return.

Just wanted to point this out as we had never really considered this or heard of this happening. I guess we have a few options, check the faucets, leave the gray open or turn the water supply off.

One thing I am thinking about, but have not found yet is an RF wireless water valve to install on the incoming water line and operated from the door area of the coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #2

How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Control-Contr...a-826541076901
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post

Great find!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We never leave the gray water closed if we are at a spot for more then a day. Just something else you have to worry about. If we've been someplace for a while I'll close it the night before so there is water in the gray tank to flush after dumping the black water.

I like the remote control valve idea. It would prevent any water damage as long as you remember to use it. Might also be useful for watering the garden, my wife will turn the water on for hours ( sometimes forgets overnight).

Kids are one thing, MIL's are another. We were visiting a friend and my MIL was with us. Our friend had a Class C and suggested that the MIL could stay in it during the visit. There were no dumps so we took showers and did our "business" in the house, MIL was told to do the same thing. After ~4 days she commented that the toilet wouldn't flush. Went out and checked and the black tank was completely full. Yikes, how can you use that much water in 4 days.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The valve Jeanne linked is pretty cool. It looks like it fits over an existing 1/4 turn lever style valve.

You may want to consider one that has the valve built in and permanently install it on the coach supply inlet.

I'm using the valve below for the propane shutoff on my boat and have had it installed for two seasons now with no issues. It is full port and accepts a wide range of control voltages. You would probably want to use the stainless version on your water supply instead of brass.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9LWXMW..._gNTgFb6S6AJ83

What's interesting about this particular version is it's controller that opens the valve when voltage is applied and closes the valve when voltage is removed. You read that right, apparently it stores enough power internally to close the valve.

If you always use the salesman switch to cut power when you leave the coach, the valve would turn off automatically and you would never have to think about it.

Unlike solenoid style valves this one uses zero power when its open or closed, only for the 2 or 3 seconds while it is opening or closing.

Note there are 4 different electrical control versions of these valves described here:
https://ussolid.com/by-motorized-bal...ol-wiring.html
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
The valve Jeanne linked is pretty cool. It looks like it fits over an existing 1/4 turn lever style valve.

You may want to consider one that has the valve built in and permanently install it on the coach supply inlet.

I'm using the valve below for the propane shutoff on my boat and have had it installed for two seasons now with no issues. It is full port and accepts a wide range of control voltages. You would probably want to use the stainless version on your water supply instead of brass.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9LWXMW..._gNTgFb6S6AJ83

What's interesting about this particular version is it's controller that opens the valve when voltage is applied and closes the valve when voltage is removed. You read that right, apparently it stores enough power internally to close the valve.

If you always use the salesman switch to cut power when you leave the coach, the valve would turn off automatically and you would never have to think about it.

Unlike solenoid style valves this one uses zero power when its open or closed, only for the 2 or 3 seconds while it is opening or closing.

Note there are 4 different electrical control versions of these valves described here:
https://ussolid.com/by-motorized-bal...ol-wiring.html
Interesting thought, one question though on this part which BTW I really like.

If you turn off the salesman switch wouldn't that kill the AC?
Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We typically operate from the pump. Using CG water connection only to fill the tank.

This makes it easy to turn off the water when leaving the coach - just press a pump switch. This precludes from coming back to a plumbing surprize. If forget to turn off the pump, and surprise is limited to the amount of water in the tank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post

One thing I am thinking about, but have not found yet is an RF wireless water valve to install on the incoming water line and operated from the door area of the coach.
Hi Jim,

About 8 moths ago, in my S&B, I installed a water pressure and flow monitoring device that will automatically shutoff water if it detects abnormal water use.

Here's a link to the website describing that system: https://www.phyn.com/

It's installed in the main house water line and monitors flow and pressure and is connected to my home wifi giving me access through a phone app. It "learns" your normal water use over a period of time. A toilet, as an example, when flushed will trigger a rapid onset of flow for a predictable period of time. That flow pattern is different from a faucet turning on and off; slower ramp up and down of flow and a variable duration. The device, over time, will recognize the device using the water. If it detects any abnormal flow, it will send a push notification to the phone app informing you of the abnormal flow and offering suggestions to locate the source of the flow. If you don't respond to the notification, it will shut off the water. Once a day, for three minutes, it will shut off water to the house and then monitor pressure on the house side to detect something like a pinhole leak.

A couple of weeks ago, as my DW was getting ready for bed, she came out of the bathroom and asked if there was something wrong with the water flow because it had stopped. The device had detected an abnormal flow (leaking valve in a toilet) and sent a push notification. I had not noticed the push notification and the device had shut off the water. I found my phone and noticed the push notification, opened the device app and turned the water back on so my DW could continue her bedtime prep and I went in search of the leak. I quickly found the leaking toilet valve and shut off the water line to the toilet.

So, that's how it works in my house.

I haven't really given much thought to installing it in my motorhome. It requires 115v ac power and an internet connection to function.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #9

We actually witnessed the aftermath of close to this exact scenario a few years ago. Owners of a brand new camper had gone out for dinner not knowing that one of their kids had dropped the stopper in a drain and left the water running. I discovered my neighbours rig with water pouring out of several locations. I shut off the water supply and had the campground call the owner to return but the damage was already done.

That day made me realize the potentially catastrophic issues which could arise from leaving the rig connected to a water supply when we are not present. Reality is every time we drive our units down the highway we incrementally damage the components, most of which were made in overseas factories with suspect quality control and then installed by workers here who may or may not have been having a good day and then worked around by several other trades who don't care about the efforts of the plumber. A running faucet is probably the least likely of your water problems, but as the OP can attest to, it does happen.

Following that day I bought a good quality water connection with an easy off handle to be able to shut the water supply with a quick twist. Now if we are leaving the bus for any significant length of time we always ensure the water supply is turned off. It has become as much a part of our routine as pulling in the awning, another mistake you will only have to see made once!

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Now if we are leaving the bus for any significant length of time we always ensure the water supply is turned off. It has become as much a part of our routine as pulling in the awning, another mistake you will only have to see made once!
If we’re leaving the campground the spigot gets turned off and I note the pressure on the regulator. I’ve never seem the pressure drop even one psi when gone all day. That is my early warning detector for a small water leak.

I literally have never been at a campground when this subject comes up to be told that no one has ever heard of it or had it happen. Sometimes it’s a kid, sometimes a cat and sometimes just a leak.

Ray
Old 07-25-2020, 02:49 AM   #11

we use the pump in the rig for water supply & switch it off when leaving the coach.
On an interesting but semi unrelated note we had our boat hauled out and a boat near us was hooked up to the yard water supply. Owner went home @ end of day and returned next AM to find water running out of the deck scuppers. A fitting had burst and the boat sank on dry land.
NEVER leave the water on if the coach is unattended.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting thought, one question though on this part which BTW I really like.

If you turn off the salesman switch wouldn't that kill the AC?
No, it does not. The salesman switch turns off most of the DC circuits like lighting, etc. It does not turn off the charger/inverter, aquahot, CO detectors, any of the chassis power (steps) or the AC shore power. You would still get battery charging and the fridge would stay powered (assuming you are plugged in to shore power). However it does cut DC power to the thermostats, so your A/C roof units and aquahot would not be controlled and therefore would not work. There may be other sub sytems that would not work as well

I was just guessing that you perhaps shut off power when storing your rig, if thats not the case some other solution variant is in order.

Instead you might consider using the same valve, purchasing a wifi plug (like this https://wyze.com/wyze-plug.htm) plugging a 12 volt wall wart into it and controlling the valve from your phone. That solution however generally requires full time internet on your rig.

Another similar option is a standalone transmitter/receiver (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6VPCYG..._tjdhFb4RN3E2G). I would use a different control variant of the solid valve and wire it so one button is on, the other is off.

Lots of possible options!

In fact I'm glad that you brought this up, I always shut the water off manually when away from the coach and sometimes forget. In my case I think I'm going to do what I suggested above but have it managed by my automation system (similar to CoachProxy). When no one is on board water is off, when someone arrives water goes on, or I can just manually control it remotely. A remote water pump switch will also be added. Thanks for the idea!
Old 07-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Rob for the ideas. Be interesting if Entegra, Pat Carrol are you listening, would come up with something as a standard product feature that would do this from the VT panel. Maybe interface it into the "Away / Stow" function. Even better just a entry panel button "Water Off".
Old 07-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Rob for the ideas. Be interesting if Entegra, Pat Carrol are you listening, would come up with something as a standard product feature that would do this from the VT panel. Maybe interface it into the "Away / Stow" function. Even better just a entry panel button "Water Off".
Totally doable, but...

Actually this could tie in to a water tank supply approach like Newmar has been implementing on some coaches. Basically I think you always run off the pump/tank and if hooked up to shore water supply, the tank is kept topped off.