Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Power Front Shades

need some help, I retracted the front night shades today before I wen to work, when to put them down, all went down with the exception of the one on the passenger side, it apparently did not go up all the way.

Any ideas of what may have happened?

Thanks
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Suzzanne, the 14's were notorious for failed shade motors. Entegra replaced them for about 3 years after warranty. You can try a 12v power reset, but more than likely the motor will need to be replaced. The old yellow colored motors were replace with red. Do not buy yellow motors on eBay, red ones are fine if you can find them..Someone my have an outlet.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Brobox,

The 12 volt reset did not work, if I buy the motor, how would I replace it? I think it would be covered under my extended warranty,

I will have to check that out.

Are these MCD shades?
Old 01-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The 14's had United Shades. Lots of posts here on replacing the shade motors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ente...earch=irv2.com
Old 01-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #5

The newer coaches have MCD shade motors in them. However, I dont know if you can use an MCD motor on an older shade that had United Shades motors in them. Entegra Customer Service in Middlebury should be able to answer that question. If the MCD fit, then I would not buy any of the United Shades any more.... the first two version of them found on 14-15 and 16s were all junk and failed frequently. If you search for shade motor repairs in that time period there are lots of threads on it. There are also lots of information on how to replace them. You need a #2 phillips bit and a long extension (I bought a 12" extension at Lowes a couple weeks ago and that made it a piece of cake to remove the aluminum bracket from the top mount.)

Generally, you have to remove the whole shade in that position... both the night and day shade. There is an aluminum bracket that holds both shades. I have had to remove the whole bracket to replace one shade motor.... get it in position and then reinstall the bracket into position and then reprogram the amount of unfold you need and re-roll... If your extended warranty covers it, usually a mobile tech is able to do the job easy if you have the motors. Watch one done by someone else first and then it is a piece of cake to do it yourself. if you can convert to MCD, do it.... they are far superior shade motors.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #6

I have had mine lose there programming and refuse to move.
Once I had one decide "all the way down" was "all the way up".
It wouldn't budge.

Try the reprogram routine first.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:18 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Did some searching this morning to see if I could find the replacement motors. They are a well kept secret and hard to find anywhere on the internet for exact replacements. United Shade does not list them on their website, but does have nice videos on how to install and adjust them. Looks like ordering them from NIRVC is been what most have been doing. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/cost...rs-428947.html
Old 01-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suzzanne; I have a 2014 Allegro bus that the shades are starting to work when they want to, if you find a source to replace your motor please post on where you found it with the part number, hopefully it will fit our bus as well if I have to replace the motor.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
Suzzanne; I have a 2014 Allegro bus that the shades are starting to work when they want to, if you find a source to replace your motor please post on where you found it with the part number, hopefully it will fit our bus as well if I have to replace the motor.
Check the post above yours. I linked the answer to your question that others have posted before. Check the type of motors that are used the Tiffin. Entegra has used 4 different motors that I am aware of. Also back and forth between United Shades and MCD depending on what year. Sad to say, shades and motors are not universal in RV's
Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
When removing the shade motors, I recommend getting a12 inch or longe magnetic extension to hold the #2 square bit. I also loosen the other shade so I can thread a loop of string under it to use as a extra hand to hold the bad shade. Then you while have both hands to remove the screws from the other end.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Ok,

how would I do that? there are not manuals of the shades in any of the containers that came with the coach,
Old 01-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
You remove the entire shade. That way you can remove the motor from the end. I think there are 4 screws holding the motor in the tube and it slides out. Make sure you mark your wire when you cut them in the removal process. The new motors will like be colored coded a little different. The hardest part of the job is holding the shade in place to start the screws. Thats is the reason I loosen the other shade so I can run string or zip ties around it to make a loop to hold the center end so I can start the screws on the other end.

There is not a lot of room there to have the Spouse help you.

Hope this helps.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #13

What you have to do, depends on what shade you have, what vintage shade it is, and several other factors.

I am attaching a manual that covers the general process but what you specifically have to do depends on what you have. So you need to figure out what you have first.

This will give you the general idea.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SHADE MOTOR REPLACEMENT.pdf (2.66 MB, 92 views)
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #14

I replaced the shade motors on the driver and passenger front window shades. The day shade (black mesh) had failed on one side and the night shade (Solid Tan) had failed on the other side. I decided that since I had to remove both shades that I would replace all motors, 4 total.

I digested as much as I could from this forum and it seemed the consensus was to replace the motors with the red colored motor. The yellow colored motors were described as the failures.

I contacted Entegra to purchase 4 replacement motors. They would not provide the replacement motors as warranty. It was worth a try since I read that some had received free replacements because of the excessive number of failures even after the coach warranty was expired. I don't have the exact cost anymore but it was over $100 for each motor. I thought that was excessive. I attempted to locate the red replacement motors on the internet for less and was unsuccessful.

I did however locate the exact yellow replacement motors on Ebay,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-RV-E....c100752.m1982

I am not affiliated with the seller although I did call them first and had a very good experience. Buy 3 or more and they were $17.21 each. I decided to go this route and ordered 12 motors. 4 for replacement and 8 for spare. I have had these installed for 3 months now without any problems.

The installation of replacement motors is not that difficult. Tip #1: Take pictures as you go to ensure you re-install the new motors in the correct orientation. Tip #2: If the wires do not have quick disconnect connectors then add them. It will make future replacements easier and if you get the polarity wrong you can reverse it easily. If you have 2 people and remove the entire shade assembly it is not that difficult IMHO. I found the difficult part to be the adjustment. I had to turn the adjustment screws for up and down travel limits more than I thought necessary, so much so I gave up several times. re-read the instructions, and tried again. I eventually succeeded in getting all 4 shades adjusted perfectly.

I would assume that if you purchase the red version it would be just as easy.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191111_094309.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	272301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191111_094443.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	272302  

Click image for larger version