RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 11:46 PM   #1

Pre 2015 Cornerstone towing capability

Hello, I have been searching for a new used coach for a while and haven’t upon a cornerstone 45j, 2014

I can’t find and literature or info on the towing capacity of this coach or older ones. I found on Entegra’s website the 2015+ cornerstones have a 20,000# which is what I would like due to someday... hopefully.... have a stacker trailer.

Anyone know if the older 600hp cornerstones also have the 20k tow rating? Or do I need to stick with 2015+ which presently are out of my budget... a 2014 is more then I wanted to spend but WOW did it drive nice!
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 07:38 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The easy way to tell the tow hitch weight?

What size are your front tires?

315 = 15,000

365 = 20,000

Hope this helps
Old 01-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
All Cornerstones before 2015 have a 15,000lb towing capacity.
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Here is the detail on the 2014 K3 chassis
Cummins 2013 15 liter ISX 600 hp • Electronic Diesel Engine •
• Hadley SLS Automatic Air Leveling
• 3 Stage Engine Compression Brake •
• RG 20000L8 IFS w/55° Wheel Cut w/Disc Brakes •
• VIP Smart Wheel with Integrated Radio Controls
• Electric Adjustable Pedals
• 210 amp Alternator
CHASSIS SPECS 2014 Cornerstone (45' K3)
Air Disc Brakes on All (3) Axles Automatic Heated Moisture Ejector w/Color Coded Lanyards
15,000 lb Hitch
3 Year / 50,000 Mile Warranty:
• No Deductible, 24/7 Roadside Assistance
Chassis Weight Rating Engine
GVWR
54,000 lb
Front GAWR
20,000 lb
Peak Horsepower
600 hp @ 1,800 rpm
2nd 3rd
1.91 1.43
Front Overhang
71.00”
Capacity
20,000 lb
Capacity Ratio
Rear GAWR GCWR
34,000 lb 69,000 lb
Cummins 2013 ISX15, Electronic Diesel w/VG Turbocharger, Cooled EGR, DPF & SCR Technology
Peak Torque
1,950 lb-ft @ 1,200 rpm
5th 6th Rev
0.74 0.64 -4.80
Rear Overhang
128.25”
Track Width
86.5” Track Width w/Oil Bath Bearings
Tag Axle Capacity
14,000 lb Ridewell Load Sharing Tag w/Air Disc Brakes
Transmission
Allison GEN 5 - 4000MH Electronic, 6-Speed with (2) Overdrives Push-Button Shift Pad
Wheel Base
320”
Front Axle
Reyco Granning IFS2000
Rear Axle
Ratios: 1st
4th
Meritor RC-23-161 with 73.1” Track Width,
Oil Bath Bearings and Hub Piloted Wheel Ends
Suspension
Front: Reyco Granning IFS2000 Rear & Tag: Ridewell 246
23,000 lb 4.30:1 “Quiet-Gear”
• Automatic Traction Control
• 5 Year / 100,000 Mile Warranty on Frame & Cross Member
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies, greatly appreciated! I am horrible at searching the internet for info!

Looks like I need to save up a bit longer and try to find a 2015 45j
Old 01-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #6

NC25T

Now, I'm sticking my nose into this and probably shouldn't but while accumulating more money for the coach, spend some serious time re-thinking your dream of the stacker trailer. You may have plans that make that essential, but if you are just planning on dragging a few toys with you as you travel and you don't have a motorcoach yet, then let me comment.

A coach owner pulling any kind of trailer has moved from a person traveling to see the world and living the life of the carefree traveler and moved yourself into the realm of living the life of a commercial semi truck driver. A 45' coach with a stacker behind it is a much longer and difficult to deal with rig. Any owner of a 45' coach faces a lot of challenges in finding RV spaces that are big enough for our coaches. I have ruled out many national parks and many state parks that simply can't handle a 45' coach, let alone a 45' coach plus a stacker.

Even RV parks that can handle your coach, usually are not able to handle any trailer, let alone a stacker trailer. If you have one, I am guessing that you are now looking at 5% of all RV spots that can handle your rig with trailer attached. 95% won't rent you a spot. Those 95% might let you park if you drop the trailer in a storage area, but that means connecting and disconnecting the trailer at every RV park. That is a LOT OF WORK if you have to drop and reconnect each time. Alternately, the Park may offer to rent you two RV spaces, one for your trailer and one for your coach. I have a friend with stacker and that is what happens to him often. So, his costs double for the few places that will even talk to him.

Now, I have toys that would be fun to take with me when I travel, but when I have considered the pain in the ass, restrictions, money, and wasted time that I would incur in traveling, I have kept the $40,000 for the stacker in my savings account, as to me, it would completely ruin my whole reason for travel..... It would be a major pain in the butt to deal with that trailer. No thanks!!!!

Now, maybe you only plan to travel to the NASCAR racetrack or something similar and you never plan to be in parks or RV parks and never need to hitch or unhitch........... if true, then that changes everything, but if you dream of traveling with that beast, simply think it all through and make sure that it makes sense. It might... for me no way!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
NC25T

Now, I'm sticking my nose into this and probably shouldn't but

Gary
Your fine, always appreciate peoples opinions!

My reason for wanting a coach that can pull a stacker is mostly due to my unknown future on where I will live and what I will do in the years to come.

There is a chance I will sell my family business in the next few years (working with attorneys on how to purchase from dad who has dementia or walk away) and if that happens, the plan would be to move to probably Colorado or Montana. If that happens I will bring my Jeep Wrangler and my hopefully soon to be purchased Lotus Evora GT with me as well as some other stuff. I figured that would be the best way to bring cars and other stuff with us especially since we might live full time or for a extended period of time in the coach until we figure out our next step in life.

I don’t want to purchase the wrong coach, kinda want something that is as future proof as possible and can be used in cold climates. I also wouldn’t spend money on a big trailer until the day comes we move west or if I have a different need for it. I am not into NASCAR however I do want to get back into track days, stacker would let me bring the lotus and if my wife comes she can bring her car so she’s not stuck at the track all weekend. But it will still be a while before I could afford a trailer....

I have worried many times about dealing with camping areas that either wouldn’t accept the trailer or require a second space.... If I recall years ago even having a car dolly at times is a PITA.

Until the day comes that we decide to move or if I decide it’s the best way to go to the track... I will just pull my wrangler unlimited behind the coach.

Again greatly appreciate your input/opinion etc.... your statements/opinion kinda confirms many of my worries about having such a trailer! Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #8

Well, you have more time to think it through and its clear you are doing the headwork.

Here is one other issue. I have a buddy with a 45' Entegra and a long Stacker. However, he also has something I have never seen anyone else with a stacker. He has a two wheel dolly located between his coach and his stacker. The dolly is essentially fixed in position with the coach. There are heavy rods that run from the corners of his coach to the dolly so there is no turning between the coach and the dolly. If he turns the coach, the dolly wheels slide left or right. The turning is done from the dolly to the stacker. The dolly takes all their downward tongue force of the stacker on itself..... its not on the coach.

The biggest issue to me is that when he disconnects from the stacker, he is not disconnecting between the stacker and the coach. He is disconnecting between the dolly and the stacker. Now, that actually makes him a few feet longer, but he is able to back up and manipulate the stacker with this arrangement IMO.

It depends on what you plan to do.... travel or buy some land somewhere else and spend a lot of time not moving. i've got a lovely Corvette that I would love to have with me, but taking it with me would just ruin every other aspect of what my wife and I are trying to do..... and that is to see some of this great country and have some fun before we cant do it anymore !!!

And, you are right. IMO, even a car dolly IS a major pain in the ass. I have watched older couples really struggle trying to get their dolly pushed into some space they can put it while staying.. at 40 that is not a big deal.... at 70 that is a killer (wife pushing on wheel covers and old guy trying to direct the tongue). To me what you want is a towable toad that can be connected or disconnected in 3 or 4 minutes and driven away from the coach..... that is bliss. The Corvette can wait in the garage until I get back.

Update us as your plans gel more and you get it figured out. Will be interesting to learn how it all works... we will all learn more.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:09 PM   #9

I know what you men with the 2 wheel thingy between the coach at trailer. I can’t recall the name of the product but I have watched a few video’s & saw one a few months back traveling down the highway. It’s suppose to greatly improve the ride of the coach where the tongue weight of the trailer is on those two wheels & not the back of the coach.. Suppose to help eliminate or at least greatly reduce bobbing that can occur.

Yes we have a bit of time before a big move will occur thus zero rush in getting a big trailer. Trying to do lots of research before I do anything, drives my wife crazy. She’s always been one who just goes and buys whatever it is... I don’t do that! I originally wanted a American Coach, probably a Eagle but wow was I shocked with how much better the cornerstone went down the road.

My family owns a funeral home and as you mentioned, We want to do certain things while our bodies allow us to do so, I just hit 50. My wife and I talked about that just two weeks ago on our way back from Utah. I am a active person, I still play soccer 2x a week and also volleyball however we do not know what tomorrow holds.

Yea good and bad with bringing a car along that’s not a toad. Finding a fun twisty road just isn’t the same when I drive my jeep with 37’s..... but the headache might not be worth it dealing with a big trailer.

I will keep everyone posted.... thanks again for all the info!!

Tags
tow, towing