Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Progressive Industries Surge Protectors

Is there any reason to use a hard wired one vs. a plug in one, other than the theft of the device aspect?
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It’s just a cleaner set up and you don’t have to deal with an extra thing when you plug in. If I decide to use one it will be hard-wired/permanently installed.

My question about these is why bother with them? Ive never had power surges sufficient to harm anything. Are there a lot of RV parks with unstable power supplies? Or is this just CYA. I know a lot of folks use these, just not sure if it’s really justified.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #3

I use the portable one. Its not a big deal to plug in but I understand the ease of use for one that is hardwired. I haven't heard from anyone who had one stolen. I suppose it could happen but I've not had any issues with that. I've been in RV parks that told me to use one, as their power was sketchy. I certainly think it is wise to protect your "one and done" on-board surge guard and it is cheap insurance.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The surge guards protect from high and low voltages. These coaches have lots of sensitive electronics which can be damaged and expensive to replace. In many older parks, low voltage will be the more common problem. One advantage to the plug in type is that it protects your power cord and connections. The installed variety protection starts after the power cord. That said, I have the installed one as it’s cleaner. Surge guards are like insurance, good to have, but hope you don’t have to use it.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
A few of the portable models have shorted out due to water intrusion. They do have a lifetime guarantee, but they do have to be shipped at the owners expense, about $34. and wait for a new one to be shipped.
The hardwired, install it once and forget about it. Mine lasted for over 10 years before the board died. Turned the bypass switch on, waited 2 days for the new board to arrive priority mail, then returned the old board. JMO, but the hardwired is something less to carry and mess with when parking each time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
The Progressive Industries hardware units also have a remote display so that you can monitor the status of the unit from inside. I use a Progressive portable - have actually collected two of them over the years so I have a spare. To me this is relatively inexpensive insurance to ensure my trip isn't ended prematurely when the unexpected happens as well as avoiding a significantly larger bill to replace electronics. There have been several times when the EMS has shut the power off due to over/under voltage events and open ground. Since the units will display a "previous error code" you can tell if there have been any power issues while you are gone from the camper.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We’ve had the portable device for last five years both in our Tiffin and now our ENTEGRA. I don’t know if it’s tripped on any surges but it has been invaluable when power dips below 107 volts. I’m sure it’s save me a lot of $$ in ac units etc...

We were in one park where it tripped several times. I complained to owners and they had a bunch of “park electricians” look things over. Never fixed it. Funny thing. They kept coming over and checking my PIS protectors digital readout to see if low voltage was fixed.

In my next ( never going to buy another one) coach, I’d go with the internal setup. It would be easier connecting up in campgrounds. No lugging around the protector every stop
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The Progressive Industries hardware units also have a remote display so that you can monitor the status of the unit from inside. I use a Progressive portable - have actually collected two of them over the years so I have a spare. To me this is relatively inexpensive insurance to ensure my trip isn't ended prematurely when the unexpected happens as well as avoiding a significantly larger bill to replace electronics. There have been several times when the EMS has shut the power off due to over/under voltage events and open ground. Since the units will display a "previous error code" you can tell if there have been any power issues while you are gone from the camper.
This makes sense - I like the idea of a remote display, low voltage protection (seems much more occur than a “surge”) and error history. thanks
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #9

The permanently mounted unit is just a lot less fuss.... you dont have to install it and uninstall and store it every time (or the reverse). It is there all the time and does its job all the time. In Cornerstones, Anthems, Aspires, and Insignias (the big ones), there was a very easy place to mount the hard wired unit right behind the cord reel.... out of the way, out of sight. Only the remote read-out is visible and I mounted mine right below the reel control switch so it is easy to read. with the basement door open, I plug in the coach, turn on the breaker, immediately walk to the digital display mounted in the same compartment and watch as the Progressive steps through all of its checks (voltage and amperage on each leg, grounds, connections adequacy, etc, and finally a 1 digit error code that shows what it does not like....) if there is anything that it does not like, then it does not let the power go on through to your coach and the coach stays isolated.

The folks at Entegra say (literally) that it is the first thing that all coach owners should buy when they get a coach (PJ says this in his afternoon "owner talks") and others say it also. IMO, it is the single least expensive and most important modification that needs to be done by every owner. As said by others, the low voltage problem is more common than the high voltage surge (although, both will wreck a lot of equipment on your coach). Since my Progressive HW-50 is inserted right between the cord and the transfer switch, there is great peace of mind and it is always there. It will not let voltage/current through to the transfer switch unless everything is within limits and all poles of the 50A power post are working and grounded as specified by code.

I installed my HW-50s myself on both my 15 Anthem and my 19 Cornerstone. It was the first thing I did within the first couple of weeks and before it took the coach anywhere out on the road. Took only basic tools if you are comfortable working with electricity. I have published a very detailed thread up here on the installation in my 2019 and I will search for it and provide a link here with a later edit.

Edit: Here is the link: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/pro...ep-406043.html

If you are not comfortable with installation, this is an hour to 90 minute job for a professional mobile installer or repair shop fix. It is worth every penny....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I had an internal Progressive HW50 installed in my Beaver in 2003. In 2013 I had it moved to my Anthem where it still resides. In those 17 years it has worked flawlessly, never needed repair, and is today still as good as new.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #11

If you are considering an external vs hardwired you should also consider the Hughes Power Watchdog. Their Bluetooth app is a great feature.

https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30A467C1-C7FF-4D59-A238-E681232F93DA.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	275852  
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
It’s just a cleaner set up and you don’t have to deal with an extra thing when you plug in. If I decide to use one it will be hard-wired/permanently installed.

My question about these is why bother with them? Ive never had power surges sufficient to harm anything. Are there a lot of RV parks with unstable power supplies? Or is this just CYA. I know a lot of folks use these, just not sure if it’s really justified.
Campground power surges are not the problem. Surge Protector is a miss used word. Campground problems are low voltage. Yes you need to be protected from low voltage. Low voltage will burn out electric motors. Your $1000.00 A/C unit has an electric motor.

Permanently installed works just fine until it doesn't on a Holiday weekend. If your are mechanically inclined you can probably remove of by-pass it. If not you are boon docking.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Campground power surges are not the problem. Surge Protector is a miss used word. Campground problems are low voltage. Yes you need to be protected from low voltage. Low voltage will burn out electric motors. Your $1000.00 A/C unit has an electric motor.

Permanently installed works just fine until it doesn't on a Holiday weekend. If your are mechanically inclined you can probably remove of by-pass it. If not you are boon docking.
There is a bypass switch located on the remote display unit of the Progressive hardwire units so it's easy to bypass the EMS functions if needed. The manual states that while the EMS functions are bypassed surge protection is still available.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #14

Several points with regard to electrical system protection devices (which have capabilities over & above a garden-variety surge protector):

There are three manufacturers of such devices for RV use. In alphabetical order:

Hughes Autoformers – https://hughesautoformers.com/product-line/

Progressive Industries – https://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Southwire/Surge Guard – https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ge-protection/

All three offer portable and hardwired devices. To the best of my knowledge, Hughes is the only one offering Bluetooth readout on a smartphone, but I suspect the other two will have that capability soon enough.

Like most things in life, there are advantages and disadvantages of each manufacturer, just as there are advantages and disadvantages of portable versus hard-wired units. A minor but occasionally significant advantage of a portable unit is that if you’re experiencing a power problem at your particular campsite, you can carry the portable unit over to an unoccupied site, plug it in, and see if the same issue is present at that site. In other words, you can quickly assess whether the problem is specific to your site or is more likely to be park-wide.

Also worth mentioning is that it is possible to use a portable device without having to leave it hanging off the power pedestal. One such approach is documented in this thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/pro...ch-403576.html
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote