Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I'd love to know what is driving her crazy because I am still trying to learn how to use our induction stove. I love to cook, make most of the meals, but having problems with it as well. I hope some folks chime in and provide advice.

I called the mft of our unit and explained that I can't turn the induction stove over 2 (ours is a setting of 1 - 8) without it burning food. The customer service persons only answer was to say if you aren't using our cookware, that will happen. I have a hard time believing that, but, if it's true, would throw out our cookware and buy theirs immediately.

Fill in some blanks so we can either solve this or at least complain together.
When I changed from using the Level Setting to using the Temp settings it seemed to help a lot. Bacon at 300 degrees works great. Give the pan time to warm up and even out the heat. Good induction pans are a must so it heats in uniform.
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #16

Not being able to cook bacon is definitely a problem. A big problem that must be solved. We enjoy cooking and have always preferred gas cooktops. You don’t see too many induction cooktops in restaurants or on cooking shows.

If you’re set on converting to propane, consider locating a DOT approved cylinder, not a tank. Have it installed in a bay and have the bay modified to provide adequate ventilation. Plumb it to the cooktop and run a line to the patio side for the BBQ.

The conversion will probably cost less than the propane locker and you’ll have a system that is built in and ready to go.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As have been mentioned in previous posts using temp settings instead of the 1-5 settings is much better. We had brought our All-Clad cookware from the S&B to cook on. We wanted a non-stick frying pan and purchased a copper colored one. So dissatisfied with the product. Uneven heat almong other issues. So we decided to purchase new frying pans. We purchased All-Clad non-stick pair of frying pans. I must say they are totally awesome. Even heat distribution among other features.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...rd=frying-pans
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man49 View Post
So we decided to purchase new frying pans. We purchased All-Clad non-stick pair of frying pans. I must say they are totally awesome. Even heat distribution among other features.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...rd=frying-pans

We had the same experience when first using induction cooking . DW bought a single one of those frying pans. It was so successful with the heat encapsulated triple-clad bottoms for superb even heat distribution, (copy and paste ) we purchased the Magna stackable set for the MH. Made all the difference in the world.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
The DW has about had it with this induction cooktop.
Is the issue the cooktop or running out of power ?

Extra batteries or generator solves the second problem. I have not met anyone who does not LOVE and induction cooktop !
Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW, my set of Magna pans do better than my cast iron. If you visit SW FL, I'd be glad to let you try them. I have the non-stick version and like them so much that I've actually brought them into the S&B a few times to use on my big induction stove. The cast iron works much better outside on my single induction burner. Get it smoking and it sears a mean tuna steak!

And...we had our induction cooktop replaced also under warranty. To say they were reluctant would be an understatement but a video of a pan full of soup boiling away on low AND on 150 finally did the trick. The new cooktop works much better but simmering is still better on one burner over the other. Go figure. It's an easy adjustment to make, even when using both burners.

I went from gas cooking in the S&B and original Aspire to induction and I don't think I would ever go back if I had a choice. A fancy gas stove in an S&B (think Wolf) certainly looks impressive - but I'll take the ease of cooking and cleaning on my non-dramatic induction any day.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
We have always had gas cooktops in our homes and loved them and originally thought that was the way to go with the bus. Several boats and 2013 Aspire had propane cooking appliances. Smaller burners and just not the same performance as the sticks and bricks version. Serious simmer control issues as well. Bought a Nuwave and a set of nesting Magma pots, covered up the propane cooktop and never went back.

On the 2017 was glad to get rid of the propane tank taking up all that storage space. The Furrion induction works fine, no hotspots like your photos when using the Magma and other ordinary stainless or aluminum induction compatible pans, but not as good at simmering as the Nuwave. A Simmer Mat fixed that.

To retrofit propane I would expect the biggest hurdle, after modding the countertops, would be running a flexible propane line thru the slide chase and making sure it could not kink or chafe. Could be fun.

The propane locker is a good idea. I made one for a boat once out of a Coleman cooler and it passed a survey inspection. ABYC Code (boats) requires a drain and a vent. An open air compartment would work just as well on the RV. ABYC code would also require an electric shut off valve at the tank.

I was never too happy about the lack of safety mechanisms on our 2013. The propane detector should have been wired to the shut off solenoid at the tank, but there was no solenoid! In my view the enclosed and unvented cargo bays on our coaches are just as potentially lethal as a boat bilge.

If you do the conversion be safe and do it properly.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Not being able to cook bacon is definitely a problem. A big problem that must be solved. We enjoy cooking and have always preferred gas cooktops. You don’t see too many induction cooktops in restaurants or on cooking shows.

If you’re set on converting to propane, consider locating a DOT approved cylinder, not a tank. Have it installed in a bay and have the bay modified to provide adequate ventilation. Plumb it to the cooktop and run a line to the patio side for the BBQ.

The conversion will probably cost less than the propane locker and you’ll have a system that is built in and ready to go.
Must... Have... BACON! Lol. Our convection oven has a bacon setting and it works great.
We also use the nonstick Magma pans and a couple of cast iron frying pans and have no issues with Hotspots. However since we also have an Insignia, we have a large LP tank and the DW says she'd swap out the induction for a gas stove in a heartbeat. She doesn't like the 1800 watt limitation of the induction. So a gas stove may be in our future (but I'm holding out as long as I can).
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #23

Mike

Once we got the $80 Sams single burner, and then finally got our built in True-Induction cooktop unit to work properly, heating something is definitely NOT a problem with induction and the proper cookware!! A functioning induction burner heats VERY quickly; just as fast as our commercial (Viking) gas cooktop in the house. 1800 watts to a single burner is not the problem. The problem is when you need 2 burners as now you only have 900 watts available for each, and regardless of what the manufacturers say, you cannot allocate half to each, or 200 watts to one and 1600 watts to the other.... you never get the two to balance out correctly..... but, past that limitation and a total of 1800 watts across the two, then they do very well. We keep the single burner unit from Sams in a closet beside the Bedroom TV and haul it out anytime we really need two functioning 1800 watt burners and either set it on the counter, on the dinette table, or outside so that it is on its own 1800 watt electrical feed and we can cook a lot of high heat stuff in a short amount of time. Don't need to do it often, but takes little effort to set up.

And all cast iron is not forged the same. The issue with induction beyond real steel is how efficiently heat is spread out laterally. The multi-clad pots are designed to do that efficiently. Cast iron is not necessarily good at that. Depends on their metalurgical quality and the bottom surface. We have some cast iron that work better than others and some that dont work well at all. We don't like them as they are heavy and they can scratch the hell out of the induction surface, so they are a last resort.

Don't give up....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #24

Or, 3 burner propane cooktop. All burners infinitely adjustable at all times. No need for special pots and pans. Nothing to store in a drawer.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane